1.05.2011

Mint Julep, anyone?

I found these pretty Pottery Barn mint julep cups a while back at the DownEast Home Outlet store...and I couldn't pass them up for only $2.50 each (so what if they're monogrammed...and tarnished...it adds to the illusion that they're vintage). I had been wanting some for a while, and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.




You know how you take down your Christmas decor and all of the sudden your home feels empty and colorless? I had a plan for these little cups...so I saved them patiently through the entire Christmas season, and then as soon as I took down my mantle decor, I went and bought myself some pretty roses and plopped them in those pretty cups, and popped them onto my mantel. Instant color.




Studies have shown that having fresh flowers in the home is actually a mood elevator and that the flowers act as a stress reliever. So I figure springing for some fresh flowers every couple of weeks is a good investment in my mental health.




Just a reminder that Frugal Friday returns tomorrow at 10:00 pm EST. I've missed all your creative and frugal decor posts! I'm so excited to see what you have up your sleeves in 2011!

Have a great day (go buy yourselves some flowers!)

18 comments:

Kirby said...

Love your thinking! I think I deserve fresh flowers, too!

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

How lovely! I have a stash of silver mint julep cups as well and have just been waiting for the right idea for them. They are so great. Yours looks perfect with roses!

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

Pretty! I love the detail around the top and bottom of the cup. I'm going to keep my eye out for one of these! Fresh flowers are a good idea right now.

Jennifer said...

What a great idea -- and such a lovely pop of color =) I love when little cheap finds look like a million bucks!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

Wendy, I completely agree with what fresh flowers do to a space!!! These are gorgeous. And...I may just remember to link up to your FF party tomorrow, I always forget!!

Janell

Anna @ Take the Side Street said...

Beautiful roses! I love fresh flowers, they really do lift spirits. (I love DownEast Home too!)

jessica said...

i love having fresh flowers around... they definitely help brighten my mood! think spring!! :)

www.creativeindexblog.blogspot.com

janet said...

Those silver mint julep cups are stunning..We don't have a store like that here in Western Pa. but we do have a Home Goods Store..I wonder if they are similar..The flowers are beautiful..Love your blog..

Chrissie said...

There is nothing more beautiful than fresh flowers! Your look wonderful in their silver cups.

Vintage Gal said...

There is nothing better than fresh flowers and you're absolutely right ~ they do lift your mood. I think I'll put that on my shopping list! Thanks

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

What a great use for those cups. I might need to buy myself some flowers!

Raine and Sage said...

Flowers are just a universal message of happiness. I love what you've done with yours, so pretty and what beautiful colours. Sonia

AntiqueChase said...

I had a little silver cup like that... I wish I knew where I put it... and next time I'm at the market (tonight?) I am going to pick up some roses and think of this post!

Missy said...

I need to have something in the works to look forward to when I take my Christmas stuff down because my house feels so barren!

Deserae said...

Love those sweet little julep cups...the roses are so pretty!!!! Hmmmm....maybe I need some fresh roses?!?!?!
~Des

Anna said...

I agree, fresh flowers are good for the mind, body and soul!

Amy said...

Oohh, I love those! I am always looking for julep cups at my local thrift store. I have yet to find one, cuz who would want to let go of such a lovely thing? But this has invigorated me to keep looking!

Oh, and I hope your husband gets to feeling better super soon.

very merry vintage style said...

Looks beautiful. I always forget how fresh flowers can liven up a room and these look so pretty in that silver cup!