1.10.2011

Furniture to match my blog: A dresser redo~

I have been wanting to switch up the living room for quite a while. I really, really, really, really, really times 10 to the 3rd power wanted to add in the color blue. The color of my blog...okay, that's not the reason...but don't you think it's nice for your blog to match your decor? Ha! Alas, our rug (which was lovely and in great shape) was all in warm shades of gold, red and brown. But then, as you may recall, the Princess was sick in the living room. Gross. But serendipitous in a way.

We *had* to replace that rug, so for Christmas the hubby and I pooled our gift money and bought a new rug. Pretty and neutral.


NEW RUG



Then the fireworks began. With a new neutral rug, my decorating-obsessed self was free to make some switcheroos.

I am lucky to have a hubby that loves decor *almost* as much as I do. He is really open to my suggestions of change. And very helpful as well. So when I told him I wanted to switch around the living room and add some blue...he was game.



Enter this pretty little $25 dresser. Yep! $25. It was an aweful minty shade of green. (Doesn't look quite as minty or aweful in this photo.) But it had pretty lines. And, did I mention it was only $25?!?



DRESSER BEFORE (the hubby had already started removing the knobs...bless him...he's not a blogger, afterall...but he did stick the drawers back in and even took the before photo for me.)



I told the hubby I wanted to put it in the living room...and I wanted it to be blue. He agreed. And even volunteered to do the painting since I am currently bogged down with other stuff.

Here comes the tricky part. We wanted to find the perfect shade of blue. So I emailed this sweet lady who has a fabulous dresser in a delightful shade of blue. And off we went to Lowe's to get the paint. Alas, it was not quite the right shade for our decor. So we had them lighten it to 75%...brought it home...painted the dresser...still not right.

Then I pulled out some pretty throw pillows we had in the master bedroom and asked the hubby if he thought their color might work. A nice grey-ish french blue. He loved it. So off we went to Lowe's again...pillow sham in hand... and found the perfect blue. Cafe blue by Valspar in semi-gloss.


And the hubby (injured leg and all) painted the dresser yet again. We switched out the knobs for some fabulous clearance versions (again from Lowe's) and VOILA! The perfect addition to our living room makeover.


Here she is in all her glory.
DRESSER AFTER


(And what French Blue dresser would be complete without a little Le Tour Eiffel?)




Of course...when you add a blue dresser to the living room...you have to shift furniture...paint other furniture...switch up the accessories...switch the slipcover on the sofa...etc. etc. I'll show you all the rest of the changes just as soon as I figure out what to do with the curtains. They are in dire need of a little spruce up! But for now...I'm sure loving that blue dresser!


xoxo
Wendy

38 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love that shade of blue! Great choice!

Jenny said...

I love it and what a bargain which makes it all the more sweet! ;-)

Felicity said...

Oh yes!
This is yet another brilliant makeover and I'm loving Le Tour Eiffel to bits.

Felicity x

**Anne** said...

Oh yes, I like what I see. You have the most accomodating hubby and I do hope his leg is improving. Must be somewhat better if he can paint for you. :)
Anne xx

VINTAGE said...

Dear Wendy, years ago I've had this color and i like still. It's a color that looks very airy.

Hugs

Tine

lisa said...

great color!

Sarah said...

Very pretty! It's funny how these things happen. Our family room got a mini overhaul after we received a new television for Christmas.

Designing Domesticity said...

Great revamp! Love the blue and love the tower as well - how perfect! Can't wait to see the rest of the changes!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Ah, she's done you proud!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Wonderful shade of blue, I've written it down in my day planner, love the dresser what a steal that was!
Your husband sounds like he is doing fine, so happy for you and your family♥

Rondell

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Love the curvy dresser and that beautiful shade of blue - perfect! I'm also trying to incorporate more blue into my home.

BabiesandBargains said...

love it..the color is great. I also change a little thing like a pillow an in return need new curtains, candles, accessories, throws etc :)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

love the new look of hte dresser! it is a little more glam! and i am totally going to puke on anything iw ant to replace next time i am sick. :)

Karie's Chic Creations said...

Beautiful. Great eye for the color. I have been looking for the right shade of blue for my home, I am writing this down so I don't forget. Thanks for sharing.

Dear Lillie said...

LOVE it! Can't wait to see the rest of the changes!!!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

That's a GREAT dresser and a great shade of blue, too!

Mrs Lemon said...

We should all follow your example. In 50 years, our grandchildren will be looking at magazines of 2010-blogger-era decorations and think, "what is with all these blue dressers? everyone has a blue dresser in their house!" ;)

Lorrie said...

I love that shade of blue. What a sweet husband you have!

Shaunna said...

Soooo dreamy and beautiful, Wendy!! Sorry my blue didn't work for ya, but I'm so happy you found just the right shade. :) And bless your husband! talk soon, shaunna :)

Laura said...

love, love, LOVE your dresser redo! that shade of blue is perfect!
what a sweet hubby to help! hope he's feeling better.

Carol said...

Wendy - that shade of blue is both adorable and timeless... you can't beat it! Don't even get me started on that precious little dresser. Totally worth more than the $25 you paid for it. Can't wait to see the living room!

Carol
antiquetexan.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Nice choice! Love the curves on that dresser. We just injected our tired old living room with some blue as well. Our formerly pine armoire got painted blue. That led to painting the coffee table and adding some other accents. Still not finished...one thing leads to another!
Shannon
www.akadesign.ca

Irene Robertson said...

That dresser has such great lines. I lve the curves.And it has officialy become The Shabby Nest mascot. LOL!

janet said...

I too love the lines of that dresser..The color is beautiful..Can't wait to see what you come up with in your room..

WobiSobi said...

I Love this color. What a beautiful piece of furniture. It fits perfect. Wonderful Job.

Andrea said...

pretty dresser with great lines to it! Have you considered adding a ribbon border to your drapes? I've been meaning to spruce up a pair of drapes I have using a gorgeous ribbon =)

jessica said...

it looks so pretty! i love the color!

www.creativeindexblog.blogspot.com

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Ooh I love it! Such a pretty blue!

Nicole@ Black Cab Designs said...

I love it! The curves are beautiful. I am going through a bit of a blue period myself so I am anxious to see the reveal. How nice of your husband to help you out. my husband is also my design assistant/ laborer! Great job!

58 Cherries said...

Pretty! I'm forever repainting furniture and changing things. It can be such a chore, but when you're done - ahh, so worth it! I just posted a bit of my own French decorating on my 200th blog post the other day, there's a giveaway too if you are interested stop on by. ;)

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

Perfect blue. Love the lines of the dresser.

Carol@SofasandSage.com said...

I love dressers in living rooms. Practical, pretty, a bit unexpected and decidedly clever. Love your french blue.

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

Love the dresser transformation the color and the knobs go so well together. It's not so fun finding just the right paint color through trial and error but the outcome is usually worth all that time and effort.
BTW, I like your bangs. I cut bangs on my hair a few months ago and agree that it's so much fun to give your look a change like that once in awhile!

The Heskew Happenings said...

Love it! I need something like it for my living room also!!! How did you paint it? Roll or brush?

wgwoodproducts.blogpost.com said...

Wow most amazing benefits of this,
LCD TV cabinets are also available in many size of the screen and
colors.
Thanks for sharing it.
LCD TV Cabinet

Harry said...

Oh My God a good collection of pretty furniture .I have not seen such a gorgeous furniture before. But I like most the Blue one. Thank a lot.For more info regarding this topic please visit : http://www.globaleventsupply.com/

Tulip Row said...

Love the inspiration! I am your newest follower, follow back at tuliprow.blogspot.com

Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive said...

I like your blue/grey dresser. Finding the right color on the first go hardly ever happens for me....sorry it happened to you, but kinda glad to know I'm not alone. I will be watching for your new room to be revealed.