1.30.2011

Easy Kiddo Silhouettes - A Tutorial~

Okay, okay. I know that silhouette tutorials are a dime a dozen on the interweb. And if I wasn't bringing a little something new to the table, I wouldn't bother you all with this. But I figured out a little something clever and I wanted to share. (If someone has already done this...please don't tell me. I like feeling clever.)

I needed some art for an awkward spot. Long and narrow. I have been mulling over what to do for some time, and finally settled on the idea of doing silhouettes of the kids. And because I wanted to use things I already have on hand, I decided to create the silhouettes out of adhesive vinyl. (And you don't need a cutting system to do this...just scissors!)

Here's what I did...


1. I took photos of each of my kiddos in profile. I took them in front of a window because the bright light from the window made the kids images darker and made their profiles easy to distinguish.




2. I carefully cut out each profile photo, and used the cut out as a template which I traced onto the paper backing of the vinyl.
Note: make sure that you reverse the image when you trace it onto the vinyl.






3. I then used scissors to cut out the vinyl along the lines I had traced.






4. Now here is where I think I am particularly clever. (Even more clever than choosing vinyl as my medium.) Rather than sticking the vinyl to paper...I stuck each onto the glass for the frame I was using. I used a credit card to carefully smooth out the bubbles.
Note: Whenever I see decent looking wood frames at the dollar store, I stock up on them. Then I have them on hand for projects or gifts etc. It's easy to simply spraypaint the wood to my desired color...in this case white.





5. Then I placed each piece of glass back in it's frame and put some pretty patterned paper in each. The great thing about this is that I can switch out the patterned paper and completely change the look! I also love the fact that sticking the silhouettes to the glass gives the finished piece a bit of a 3-D effect since the silhouette sits "above" the backing paper on top of the glass.




Here is where they are hanging...this is one of the project areas I am currently working on. Any guesses what this area is going to be?




Have a great day~


Linking to:
handmade projectsShow and Tell Green

35 comments:

Laura said...

Great idea! I like it with the 3D effect too! And thanks for the tip on taking the photo in front of a brightly lit window. I wouldn't have thought of that. It does make the photo much easier to distinguish.

Cindy said...

So wonderful! You would keep these forever!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Sticking it on the glass is brilliant! I need to redo my kids'...my youngest was like 6 months and had no neck when I did the ones that are up now.

Dear Lillie said...

LOVE this! I am planning on doing a new silhouette for my mantle but hadn't thought of sticking it on top of the glass! I may have to try that!

A Vintage Vine said...

Just beautiful!

Natosha @ Seven One Six said...

definitely pretty cleaver! I love vinyl!

His girl said...

Great idea! Love the 3D look.

His girl said...

Great idea! Love the 3D look.

Hood Canal Gal said...

Can't wait to try this. I have a school project that I'm working on (for the auction), this really comes in handy! Thanks!
Megan

Hood Canal Gal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
**Anne** said...

Wow, you are such a creative lady. This is a great idea.
Anne xx

Lisa said...

Forgive me if this is something everyone but me knows...but where do you purchase adhesive vinyl? Is it contact paper? Appreciate your tips!

Sarah said...

Genius! What kind of vinyl did you use? I wonder if good ole' fashion shelf paper would work?

Pattie said...

So cute, I have one of my daughter that she made is school years ago, I really need to frame it.

paige said...

clever indeed!!
& thanks for the inspiration.i was just moving around a little vignette & thought i needed to update a silhouette of the girls too!
love it!

Anna See said...

Love this! I love the idea of switching out the paper!

I Heart Salt Lake said...

These are so cute! Gotta try to make one.

Mrs. Inspired said...

Love it. Did you just guesstimate to center them? I especially love that you can switch out the background depending on your mood. Fab.

Kasey said...

lovin those!

Davis and Laura said...

Perfect! I wanted to do these of me and my husband for our bedroom and this is the exact tutorial I needed---thanks for sharing! :)

LuLu said...

ohhhh loving them!!!
xo,
LuLu

Candice and Alyssa said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE those!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shelley said...

They look wonderful! I did large vinyl quotes on glass for my wedding and had planned to frame them to hang around our home but never got around to it...

Seeing how these turned out was just the push I needed!

Lindsey said...

this has been on my to-do craft list for freaking forever! i love how you did yours with the 3d effect, really nice.

liz@alittlepeaceofhome said...

your kids' silhouettes turned out great! i tried once and mine didn't turn out so great...love them & the paper behind is darling, too!

Carol@SofasandSage.com said...

I love these so much I can't stand it!

JoLynn said...

Can I ask where you found your vinyl paper? I've never seen it before, but maybe it's commonly found at craft stores?? Thanks! It turned out beautiful!!

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

These are adorable and love the bench update you posted today!! I have no idea what you are up to, a mudroom?
Janell

jpaigeart.com said...

love, love, love...you make it look easy!! the background is geat!

Nicole said...

I am going to share this on my five fav friday this week! Love this idea!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Excellent tips! I will definitely try doing it this way the next time I make a silhouette.

Honey and Pappy said...

Is your new area going to be an entry way with coat hooks and a pace for shoes? Thats what I need!

Tiff said...

I would have never thought to stick them on the glass! Thanks for your cleverness!

Sean & Jess said...

Thank you so much this is perfect for me, hope i can cut them out as perfectly as you did!

www.balancedlibra10.blogspot.com

Tara said...

I've seen so many Silhouette images on the internet recently, they look very chic! I couldn't wait to try create my own, and have been stumbling the net for easy tutorials. Yours is just great! It is so simple, yet so effective. I love that you can change up the background paper to keep the art looking contemporary and fresh. Love it! Will definitely be giving this a go.