12.29.2010

What To Wear to the Ballet~



I took the Princess to see Ballet West's version of the Nutcracker yesterday. Dance is one of my passions. I danced for many years (mostly jazz and modern with some ballet)...didn't exactly have the figure to become a professional...but I did work in marketing and PR for Ballet West for a few years before I had children.




The Princess inherited my passion for dance. She performed in the Nutcracker last year in Massachusetts. But I didn't find her a studio in time for her to audition this year. After last night, however, she's determined to try out next year. She wants to dance the part of a buffoon... she wants to do cartwheels across that big stage.




Last summer, before we moved back to Utah, we came out to visit for some family weddings. Because I had worked for the ballet, I was able to pull a few strings and get a private tour of the facilities for the Princess and her cousin. They actually got to stand on the stage in the Capitol Theatre. I think that did it. That's when she decided in earnest that she is going to be a ballerina when she grows up. And you know what? I hope she's right.



On the Princess: Dress DownEast Basics girl, Boots Target
On Me:
Skirt DownEast Basics, Cardigan Target, Necklace DownEast Basics

14 comments:

**Anne** said...

Oh, glorious photos of you both. What a treat for you to see the Nutcracker, it's such a lovely ballet. I wish your little girl all the best for her dancing career. She would look stunning up on the stage.
Have a lovely day,
Anne

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

I always tell my daughter (who is 1) she is going to be a ballerina when she grows up! =)

Love it!

Mandi said...

I was *this* close to buying that same skirt during downeast's sale on Monday. And dang it all, they were out of my size.

Looks adorable on you.

Jo said...

What a sweet outing for you two lovely ladies! Love the outfits.

Jo

marian said...

You both look at your best to go to the ballet! I LOVE ballet too! The nutcracker is THE ballet to see in this time of year of course! Love BĂ©jart choreographies soooo very much too though. If you ever have a chance, go see that! Maybe you already did!? My nephew is in his fourth year in the royal balletschool of Antwerp now and it's amazing how much discipline those professional dancers-to-be have to have, it's really a topsport, allthough not everyone sees it like that.
I hope your daughter gets to fullfill her dream!
Bye,
Marian

Lisa said...

Love, love, love the Nutcracker. I did Ballet West as a child. If your little princess is serious about the buffoon part, I'd consider gymnastics as well. The likelihood of her making it increases substantially if she can do back hand springs! Good luck!

Debra said...

You both look great for the ballet! I am glad you gave the info on your outfits as I LOVE your skirt & was going to ask. :)

My daughter started ballet this year and likes it - not sure if she wants to be a ballerina or not but is having fun.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Two beautiful girls! :)

Angie said...

Gorgeous photos!

ificould said...

You both look beautiful! So jealous you were able to go see the Nutcracker - we missed it this year :( I danced as a buffoon and a soldier in Ballet West's production, so I'm a little biased - but I think it's the best!!
missy

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

These photos of the two of you are beautiful, you are sure to appreciate them even more as time goes on!
Have a wonderful 2011 Wendy!
Janell

Classic Style said...

lovely pictures, I love the dress your beautiful princess is wearing:), I used to dance ballet as a young girl..
have a happy new year !!

Kitty @ Embraceable Life said...

Beautiful photographs and I love your outfits too!

Mod Podge Amy said...

You and your daughter are gorgeous! How fun that you got to go together. Happy New Year!