12.28.2010

And The Living Room Gets All Dressed Up~

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the fact that I needed to replace my living room rug. The rug we had was pretty with golds, browns and reds. But since I was going to have to replace it, I decided that I wanted to go with something more neutral because I really wanted to introduce some blues and greens to my palette instead of the warmer tones that I had been using.

RUG BEFORE


If you recall, I was set on using a jute or sisal-type rug. But, after asking the opinions of you, my lovely readers, I had many people suggest the idea of using indoor/outdoor carpet. To be honest, that is something I had never really considered. I had this vision in my head of indoor/outdoor being something along the lines of astroturf. I just didn't think it could be something I would want in my living room. I was also told by many people that sisal and jute have a difficult time standing up to traffic. Even though we have a family room, our living room sees quite a bit of traffic, and I didn't want to have to replace the rug quickly, so that also made me reconsider.


To make a long story short (really, Wendy, I didn't think you could do that...you might be thinking) after researching a bit, I was pleasantly surprised with the range of indoor/outdoor rugs I was able to find. But, then there was the budget constraint. The hubby and I were pooling the money we received from our parents for Christmas...but we still didn't have a huge budget for a new rug.


Enter Costco. Yes, Costco. While we were there one afternoon before Christmas, I happened to notice some area rugs. I walked casually over to the display thinking that there was absolutely no way that I was going to see what I was looking for. After all, I had been scouring the internet, home improvement stores, catalogs...all to no avail.


You can probably guess the rest of the story. There in the front of the display was one rug. The exact right size, the exact right color....AND the exact perfect price. I tried to be nonchalant about it...but I may have yelled the hubby's name across the crowded store as I flailed my arms back and forth in the air to get his attention two rows away. And he may have shot me one of those "are you crazy?" looks. But as he got closer and realized what I found, he was almost as excited as I was.


So we bought that baby. Loaded her up...and here she is. An indoor/outdoor (read that as easy clean-up), neutral-toned beauty. Can you say LOVE?



CARPET AFTER





Okay, so once we got the rug in the room, I felt an intense need to finally get a coffee table. We had been looking and looking on Craigslist and KSL.com (the local online want-ads) for weeks or possibly months with no luck. But that night, the hubby hopped online and found the PERFECT coffee table....again for the perfect price! (I mean it MUST have been fate!!)

So the very next day, while I was laid-up in bed with the worst stomach flu I think I've ever had...the hubby...with children in tow....went and bought the coffee table. And because it had a blue base (which was not the right color blue) he even refinished it for me...that very day...okay it really took two days, but the story sounds better if you think he did it all in one day. Ha!






And now our living room is almost complete. I plan on switching the sofa slipcover back to the white one, and placing my rehabbed console behind the sofa where it belongs while placing a dresser where the console is now. AND, of course, bringing in some blue and green...probably in the form of pillows and accessories. Oh, and accessorizing that pretty coffee table with something besides my decorating books. :-)






But what a difference the carpet and coffee table make!! Can we hear a collective "Woot Woot!"?





For now, I'm just going to sit here and enjoy the view! Have a great day~

22 comments:

{the vintage wren} said...

Looks fantastic, and I love the new coffee table. Good inexpensive rugs are so hard to find, I'll be checking out Cosco now. -Carrie

Missy said...

Wow, that really looks great! I'm so impressed!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I'm impressed too! It's great that you found both right away...it was fate now you can enjoy!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Fabulous! Isn't it funny how things work out like that? The rug and table both look wonderful!

Mrs Lemon said...

It is great! I am area rug shopping as well - there's one that I think would be pretty perfect in 3 different rooms :) haha - I wonder if I will get a discount if I buy 3 of them?!

Irene Robertson said...

Looks amazing. Your home is so incredibly beautiful. It's so obvious that you put a lot of work into it.

House of Smiths said...

I LOVE that! Everything looks so pretty :)
And the set up is similar to what I want to do in our living room.
I just had a major freak out on Cason today because I am SO SICK of having a living room with NO furniture! arrg!
I really want to find a cream zebra rug for our front room!
Um... ya, it's impossible, for the price I want to pay... guess I'll have to keep my eyes open at Costco next time. ha! jk

Tanya said...

I have the same wooden Manger set! Your room is beautiful.

Kara said...

I've been looking for a neutral rug for months with no luck. I love yours! I think I may need to take a trek to Costco. :)

Tiffany said...

Gorgeous. Love it. Looks fantastic! The rug and the coffee table look like they were meant for the room!

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

woot woot!! YaaaaY!! I'm so glad you found an indoor/outdoor rug that you liked! :) looks great! Great table too!!

jessica said...

new follower here! :)
love the new rug, it looks fantastic! also love the mantel... it's so festive! and those chairs are great too!! ok, i'm hooked, can't wait to read more of your lovely posts! xo

http://creativeindexblog.blogspot.com

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

Love the rug and mantle! And your legs look cute too:)
Can you tell me where you got the fabric flowers you have on the lamp shades in there? I have a pair I want to do something similar to.

modern jane said...

I love it! It totally fits with the rest of the room! Good choice!

The Allen Family said...

ok seriously so funny. i looked at that same coffee table on ksl and seriously thought about calling them. well i'm glad i didnt, it looks way better in your room.

The Allen Family said...

ok seriously so funny. i looked at that same coffee table on ksl and seriously thought about calling them. well i'm glad i didnt, it looks way better in your room.

M said...

I love when that happens!
Beautiful rug. I may be looking in Costco now for a similar one, myself!
~Michelle
www.falafelandthebee.com

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

I know how hard area rug shopping can be. I am glad you found the perfect one! It looks beautiful and ties everything in your room together perfectly! I love your new coffee table too. I have the same couch and slipcover as you :) Your living room is gorgeous!

The Moerks said...

Fantastic difference. The coffee table is perfect too. I love your couched and that you can change the colours.

Shanon said...

Woot woot! I love the new rug! I can't wait to see when you do the changes you mentioned.

arizona auntie said...

Just had to comment on how pretty your rug/table look and also how entertaining your ramblings are. I can just picture your excitement in Costco over the rug (I would also be the same way!) and you must have a gem of a hubby if he went table shopping without you (and took the kids!) way to go hubby!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Wendy, Your new rug and table are perfect for your room. Beautiful! I am in love with your Christmas mantel. Happy 2011!!
Sherry