10.25.2010

My Mom Cave: The (in progress) Home Office~

Welcome! Today I'm participating in the "Mom Cave" contest over at Centsational Girl!



Mr. One and his mad photography skills caught me hanging out
in my favorite reading chair in the office


I have been wanting a space in my home that's just mine. So I've adopted the home office as my "Mom Cave".

Here is the way the office looked when I decided to claim it. Let's just say that it left me feeling a bit "uninspired."









So I came up with a plan. But everything changed when my husband John was in a serious car accident just a few days after I started the redo. And the day after John's accident was my last day at work because my contract came to an end. I was unemployed, and John wasn't able to work. So my redo plans came to a screeching halt.

I'm nothing if not FRUGAL, however, so I set about doing the best I could with what I already had.


Here is what I've been able to accomplish to date. (We are renting this house, so the wall color had to stay.)












As you can see, my "Mom Cave" is still in need of accessorizing. A $250 gift certificate from HomeGoods would go a long way toward prettifying the space. And with all the stress of taking care of a recuperating husband as well as trying to find a way to make a living myself, I sure could use a pretty place to escape...don't you think?



You can check out the other entrants to the "Mom Cave" contest over at Centsational Girl.
I'll be back with more details on what I've done so far tomorrow.
Have a great day.

26 comments:

AlpHa Buttonpusher said...

It definitely has potential.

HRANDICA said...

You did a great job. The wall colour looks ok and you made every thing else look pefect.

Andi's English Attic said...

That is a beautiful desk and the chair looks so squashy and comfortable. Well done for getting anything done when such an awful thing happened in your lives. xx

dogsmom said...

I love the pictures on a string idea; easily changed out, does not damage wall, and pictures don't have to be the same size for it to work.
You are showing me how to make better use of some elements I already have.
Thank you.

Richella said...

I think you've done a great job, Wendy, but I also think that HomeGoods gift card would be a great boost to your space! And you deserve it!!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

I think every mom NEEDS a "mom cave"! Your off to a great start. Your desk is lovely. I just adore the style :D

Natasha said...

Your Mom Cave is great and your pom pom corner is so pretty! I also love your organised shelves-great idea.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It looks beautiful already - can't wait to see where you take it!

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

Wendy, this is looking so great. I LOVE the chairs you chose and all the organization on the bookcase. Excited to see more.

Laurie Jones said...

What a pretty space, I love when people use what they have it always seems like the space always turns out better! Great job!

Kimberly {YeP, they are all mine} said...

You've done a great job using what you have! I really like your desk!!! Good luck with the contest :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Already a pretty space - nicely done!

Lisa said...

Wendy I hope you win! You deserve it after the last couple of months. Your space is great - love the tissue paper pom poms for a little fun!

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

I like what you've done with this space and the mirror over the magazine holders is great!

Kelly at I Dream of Decor said...

I think it is looking great! love the white desk and the cute little chair appliques on the wall! I hope you win it:)

Roberta said...

Hope John is doing better Wendy ;) Great big space and I know you'll make it look fabulous. Perhaps if you win you could get a folding screen to cover up some of the yellow walls and one of those big mirrors that they sell at HomeGoods to bring some more light into the space. It's good that the landlord choose yellow in an attmept to brighten the room but odd that they chose that shade...oh well! Better done than perfect..best of luck, fondly, Roberta
http://con-tain-it.typepad.com

* French Farmhouse 425 * said...

Looks very lovely and cozy!! ;) Rachel

~Dawn~ said...

You've done a fantastic job so far!! Good luck in the contest!!

Dawn @ Mom-a-Logues
http://www.mom-a-logues.blogspot.com

Taylor-Ann said...

Wendy- I love your mom cave. The poms in the corner. Great job.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I love your space! You did an amazing job! It's dreamy! Angie xo
Visiting CG.

Kim said...

You've done so much with what you have. It looks very comfortable and feminine- perfect for a mom cave.

Budget Confidential said...

Very nice. I am impressed!

Skooks said...

With just using what you had around, I'd say you put together quite a lovely little space! Good job. Hope your husband is well.

Michelle said...

It's coming along nicely!

Mrs_Thielke said...

What an inspiring story! I love what you did with the space and what you had. Amazing. Praying your husband is well!

Sofia Sandoval said...

I hope things get better for all of you soon. Best wishes for your new room too. Its going to be beautiful.