Today I am completely and utterly, mentally and physically exhausted.

I, quite literally, am having a hard time making my fingers move enough
to type these sentences.

And, yet, I want to type.

I want to get it all out.

Like so many of you who blog, my blog is my therapy.

Because I love design and DIY-ing as much as I do,
posting about those things is usually therapy enough for me.

But not after this last week.

And so today I just want to be me.

The burnt-out, exhausted, so-stressed-I-can't-see-straight (I mean literally...I had to pull out my glasses for the first time in months), gained-5-pounds-from-stress-eating me.

The girl who is sitting on the floor to type this blog post because the home office redesign she started last week was abruptly interrupted by tragedy.

Tragedy that brought everything to a screeching halt
and made me realize that I take things too much for granted.

Things like a husband who can help me push furniture around.

And a dad who is always there when I need him.

Life this week was just too real.

And there is so much more to the story than even the parts I've told you.

But it doesn't need to be shared here.

I just need to know that even though most of us have never met, we are there to love one another. To lift one another up. To support one another in difficult times.

Because people are basically good.

And you, my readers, my friends, are wonderful.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Thank you for coming here and sharing your words of encouragement.

I know that this week full of trials will pass.

My husband's wounds will heal.

My father will walk again.

The two men I love so much will be themselves once more.

But I will never be the same.

Because this adversity has changed me inside.

I am exhausted.

But I am stronger too.

And even though I still have a long road ahead of me in dealing with these things,
I know I can do it. I know I can keep climbing.

I just hope you'll all bear with me, when I need to let it out.

When I need to share my all-too-real challenges,
And gain strength from those around me.

And I promise to pay it forward.

But for now, I'm just plain exhausted.

(For those who haven't heard what happened, you can click here and here.)


Tara said...

Wendy, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You're right that this is a place of love, and I hope that your blogging friends can bring you some support during what I can only imagine will be a difficult next few months. Sending you so much love!


southerninspiration said...

Taking a moment right now to pray for you and your family. Do take the time you need to do what you need to do and care for your family. We are not going anywhere! Let us know how we can continue to pray for your family...wish I could run by with a casserole to help. Wish I could do your laundry to help. But I CAN pray. Take some time to read Isa. 41:10....and rest firmly/safely in the love of the Lord God.


Gremma said...

So sorry to hear about the stress in your life! Sometimes things happen and we wonder why. Seven years ago, my husband was injured in a snowmobile accident. He was in the hospital for 18 days and in a wheelchair for 3 months. He did walk again and is a changed man. While he was always caring and good to me, he was "driven". Now he is much more relaxed and willing to "smell the roses". I guess what I am trying to say is, this too shall pass, and there will be blessings, although hard to see now. My prayers are with you and yours.

Lindsay said...

I've been praying for your family Wendy. Keep your head up and hang in there. You will get thru this! :) HUGS!

Green Willow Pond said...

Aww Wendy. I'm so sorry you are going through such a rough time...and to have the double whammy of both your husband and dad...wow.

I remember when my husband had his heart attack and almost died at 43. He couldn't lift more than a gallon of milk for several weeks after. I had to do both his "jobs" and mine. I was so physically and emotionally exhausted one day, I just plopped down on the couch and bawled.

But I did make it...with God's help and the love and help of many, many people. I wish I lived near enough to come over and give you a hug, fill your freezer with some meals and clean your house for you. I hope you have friends nearby who are doing those things for you. You are still in my prayers.

Laura said...

Just keep plodding forward... life will get better, these dark days will be behind you and you will smile again... and you will know that you can take anything on... and that will make you smile again... because you survived it all! Lx

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

stay strong friend, you and your family are in my prayers!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Take care of yourself and your family. You are dealing with so much right now and the one who is usually your biggest supporter needs your support. I hope that there are some kind neighbors or church friends or even blog friends who are close enough to be able to help out with whatever you need. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. You have so many friends & supporters here... try to take care of you, too.

Kristi said...

Wow! You poor thing. That's A LOT for someone to have to deal with all at the same time. Hoping that you'll keep your chin up and make it through this rough time.

~ The Speckled Dog

* French at Heart * said...

~*~Sending you a big hug and lots of prayers~* blessings,Rachel

Maxabella said...

Keep climbing, Wendy. We are all here for you and hear for you. Now, to also help you through this, you need to eat well, drink lots of water and please, please go and rest when you can. x

Robin's Nesting Place said...

You certainly have been through a lot these last few days. It takes time to recover from emotional stress, please don't feel bad about that.

I pray that your husband and your dad both recover quickly.

Richella said...

Oh, Wendy, I know all our hearts are with you. Things really can change in a heartbeat. We take so much for granted, don't we?

But adversity does make you stronger, and I am grateful that you are seeing that even in the midst of the hardship. You will be stronger--but you don't have to pretend to be stronger than you are. You can certainly come here to vent if need be--your readers will simply take your venting as an opportunity to pray for you.

God bless you!

Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

Oh honey, I'm so sorry you are so worn down. You are truly dealing with more than I think I could. I have often heard that God won't give you more than you can handle. Though we often think we are weak and can't handle what has been handed to us, I know you can. You are strong, you are amazing, and we are all here for you.

I'm sure I'm miles away, but if you need anything, or there is anything I can do to just make your day a little better, please don't hesitate to ask!

Megan @ Bug Creator-Crafts and Life said...

"My husband's wounds will heal.

My father will walk again.

The two men I love so much will be themselves once more."

This is very true... as is that you will never be the same. You won't be the same because you are that much stronger ! Just keep reminding yourself it will all turn out for the best it will just take time. You don't have to be strong all the time though it is okay to cry and get stressed about it. Don't bottle it up! We are here to listen! :D I hope you get to feeling better as well as your hubby and father.

Good luck dear!

Mandi said...

I think I love your "just be me" posts the very best. I'm so sorry you've been through so much. But it seems to me like life has just thrown a lot your way for a while now. Totally not fair. Hugs Wendy.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Along with so many others, my prayers are with you and your family.

Marguerite said...

Sending warm thoughts and many prayers - for all of you. Sometimes when a loved one is hospitalized, people forget that the caregiver needs care too! Do ask for help, do say yes to all help offered, do not try "to do it all" by yourself, don't worry if your kids have fast food more often than you might wish over the next few weeks (or months!), and don't feel guilty if (when) you need to vent or (gasp) feel resentful that so much is being expected of you and you are only one person..... My husband has had several serious back surgeries and a knee replacement after a terrible car accident he was in before we even met. So I know of what I speak. Take care of yourself and let others help you so that you have the energy and ability to take care of your family.
Much love is sent your way.

a boy a girl and a pug said...

Lifting your family up in prayer.

Roberta said...

Wow Wendy...just mind numbing I know. The deal is that your DH and father are the most important thing and all the rest of this stuff just doesn't matter if you don't have your family. So don't worry about your to do list and your blogging self-imposed (cause we all do this ;) deadlines...just be with your family and focus on their healing. You also need to take care of yourself so that you don't get ill from stressing and exhaustion, etc. Best to you and yours and we'll keep you in our prayers. Fondly, Roberta

AntiqueChase said...


Rebecca@This Present Life said...

Your strength is inspiring! Sending lots of positive energy to you and your family!

Janis said...

Thinking of, and praying for you and your family. Wish I could be there to offer service and to lift some of the daily burdens from you. Remeber the words in Matthew 11:28 ... Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." He does and will continue to give you the strength you need to carry on each day. Much love... janis

Beckie said...

My heart goes out to you and your family.
Thanks for having such an inspiring blog. It really helps all of us dealing with heavy issues to forget them for a little bit.

Tina@SignificantHarmony said...

I'm only a new follower and a perfect stranger - but you and your family in my thoughts and heart. You bare yourself on your lovely blog - its inspiring - be well. You are right - you are strong and you will heal stronger than before.

Holly said...

Wend- I am sorry that you are so exhausted and I am so far away and can't even wrap my arms around you!! I can't even imagine,...and I don't have words to express...

I am so grateful that you are there to take care of dad as well as John. I wish I could will more strength your way since I am here being utterly useless.

I Love You!!

jackie said...

I send you light and love and wishes that you find the strength daily to face your upside-down world! Blessings to you.

Mom in High Heels said...

Bless your heart. I'm sending you warm thoughts and big virtual hugs.

Carrie said...

you cannot change the direction of the wind but you can adjust you sails. take refuge in this safe harbour with friends who understand all too much and who do love you, even though we may never meet xx

ChRiS said...

Please do not forget to take care of yourself....the last thing those 2 men need is there loved 1 sick....so take some time and heal and recover and prepare for the road ahead of you.....in my thoughts and prayers.

Formerly known as Frau said...

((hugs)) to you and continued prayers for your family.

gina3 said...

I've been where you are and you are changed...but for the better. You will never take anything for granted, you will enjoy every tiny detail of life and your bond with your husband will be tighter than you ever thought it could. As tough as it is while you are in the middle of this, hang on to the bright side as you said. They will be both be fine and that's the blessing. Look at it as the blessing it is and not the tragedy it could have been.

Abby's Garden said...

Praying for you:)

Shaunna said...

lifting you up in prayer right now, Wendy. I hope today you can find some rest and peace in the midst of everything. We do love you...and more importantly, so does God and He hears you! :) shaunna

Jennifer Rizzo said...

You ares still in my thoughts Wendy.

KatyStrattons said...

You're right. You have to take a moment for you. For you to breathe and pray and heal the tired-ness of yourself, so that you can help your father and husband. I will pray for you. I have been since I read your news. I will pray for strength and refreshing breath to be breathed into you.

Peggy said...

I know we've never met in person and you wouldn't know me from Adam but I wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you. You and your family has been on my mind and in my prayers every since you posted about the accident!! Know that you will continue to be!

vintage girl at heart said...

Remember to take care of yourself girly!!!Continued prayers for your husband and father!

Astrid @ The Lopsided House said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Stay Strong! I,too, am deeply sorry to hear about what you and your family have been going through this past week.

Mary Ellen said...

Praying for you and your Family that you will feel HIs arms of love, comfort and healing around each of you.

Thank you for your honest and heart felt post.

bee blessed

Gordostyle said...

Oh Wendy! I'm so sorry! I don't know you but wish I could do something, anything to help not only your hubby and your father but YOU he needs so much support right now!

The only thing I know to do is to pray... and I will girl! In fact, before I began responding to this post, I prayed and will continue to do so!

My only advice is to let people, you know and trust, help you. Don't feel like a burden. Accept their willingness to help. Lean on them and you will be surprised by the people that come forward and go above and beyond! In this, you will gain much strength!

Prayers and lots of world wide web hugs!

Katherine said...

Life has a way of stopping us just when we least expect it. You will get through this, and we will all be here cheering when you do. For now lean on us whenever you need to. That's one of the amazing things about 'blogland'.

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing how you are feeling. It is a good reminder to all of us to slow down and spend time with those we love and not let the little things bother us.


Laura said...

My heart goes out to you & my thoughts have been with you this past week. Take it one step at a time & take all the time you need for yourself & your family. All of us who love you & your blog understand - I probably speak for many when I say I wish there was more I could do to help. xoxo

Denise said...

I have known that exhaustion you are talking about, born of tragedy, and I feel for you. Each time, long after the tragedy passed, I realized that in an odd way, it was a gift. Just like you said, you are forever altered. I am so thankful that both your husband and father will recover. My prayers are with you all. I know it will be a bumpy road at best. I hope you have plenty of support. When someone offers help, take them up on it! A meal, a snack, fruit for the hospital (so those 5 pounds don't turn to 25!), watching the kids... when they ask, tell them things you need. "Ask and you shall receive."

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Thoughts and prayers continue to go up for you and your family. Just know that "this too shall pass" and you are right, you are so much stronger than you know. Remember to take time to take care of YOU in the midst of all the chaos because if you don't, then you cannot be of any good to those who need you, including your children.
Hugs and blessings,

Shel at Dreamy Nest said...

Continuing to hold you and your family in prayers. Just be - right now. Many blessings. xoxoxox

barbara@hodge:podge said...

What doesn't take you down just makes you stronger. Our family was in a horrible accident, hit by a drunk driver, I had injuries that slowly healed, but that incident has made me appreciate my family and life so much more!
Still praying for your family:)

lynns said...

You are in my prayers. I shared this with a friend this morning who is also going through a terrible time, Psalm 116. God bless. Lynn

Lisa @ Another Day Today said...

Praying for you and your family.

"Be still and know that I am God."

ellie g said...

Without even knowing you....I've thought about you a lot in the past days. What a difficult time you are going through.

I pray that you will be able to find the strength to get through these challenges. And when they are past, you will be able to look at them and be grateful that they helped shape your future and the woman you will become. God bless you.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Just 6 months ago I was recovering from a car accident and my mother unexpectedly passed away. I thought about just giving up on school. I couldn't do it. I felt like I couldn't get out of bed. But I slowly walked to my computer and there was God working through the internet.
So I am here to tell you that I am praying for you. I am praying that you can put one foot in front of the other on days that you think that you can't and that you will receive small mercies. Little glimmers of hope that the sun will soon shine again.

Elischa said...

My friends, family and I are all praying for you and your family. I can't pretend to know exactly what you're going through, but I know how much events like this can impact a person and how exhausting the stress can be. There are a lot of people holding you up right now - don't be afraid of asking for a shoulder when you need it. We may not know you or your family personally, but all we still love you and will support you with prayers and thoughts. May the Lord grant you peace.

Lisa said...

Please take care of yourself. We're all praying for you. Big hugs.

Lisa said...

Please take care of yourself. We're all praying for you. Big hugs.

A Toile Tale said...

Please feel my arm of friendship around your shoulder. This is really when you just put one foot in front of the other.

randee said...

you are in my prayers -

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I hadn't heard before today. I will pray for healing for your dear husband and for strength for you and your children. And also sending you a big hug.

bernicewood said...

It is okay to post and vent. Like you said, this is your therapy and you have to let it all out somewhere!
Nothing is more exhausting than time spent in a hospital waiting for the time to pass. I just spent all day waiting for #7 grandchild. She finally made appearance by c-section (mommy was having major difficulties)We're blessed all ended up well, but it was a long day.
Your long days will get better. It will get easier. And just know that you have all your bloggy sisters in prayer for you and your 'men'!

To The Moon and Back said...

Wendy, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.


Jenni said...

My prayers are with you, from Down Under, so it might help you to know you have round the clock prayer covering.
I had only just found your blog and I am so enjoying your positive and friendly hospitality and sharing, even when your world seems to be so hard right now.
Things will get better and you will get through it all - with good days and the others. My thoughts and prayers are with you.