9.22.2010

A Sincere Thank You (and a winner)~

I wanted to take a minute to thank you all, my dear readers. As most of you know, three weeks ago my husband John was in a serious car accident. He fell asleep at the wheel and hit a metal light post head on. I was told that he is lucky to be alive. And after seeing the car, I believe it. As it is, he basically shattered his right leg, and broke 8 of his ribs. One of these days, when this is all far removed in the past, I may share a photo of the car with you all, you won't believe it. But for now, it is too fresh in my mind.

The next day, my father fell from a ladder, broke his hip, and crushed one of the vertebrae in his back. I thought that first week, with both of my men in the hospital, was one of the hardest I've ever experienced. And it was, in its way.

But then things got harder. John is home now. I'm glad to have him home, but he is still in a lot of pain. He can't really do much for himself. He can't put any weight on his leg for another 6 weeks, and then it will take weeks after that before he can walk normally or drive again. I'm drained. My laundry is WAY behind, my yard is full of weeds. You get the idea. And tomorrow, my father has to have surgery for the second time because his back isn't healing. It's just a lot to deal with.

But in the midst of all of this, I have gained immeasurable strength from friends and neighbors who have brought in meals and watched my children. And I have gained emotional strength from you. Yes, my dear readers, your comments, your emails have buoyed me up. They have given me hope. I have felt your love and your prayers. I have gained strength from the knowledge that good people, most of whom I have never met, are pulling for me. And so I want to say THANK YOU! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

One example of some of the lovely experiences I've had comes from my bloggy friend Beki of The Rusted Chain. Beki asked if she could send me a necklace with a word or phrase on it that is meaningful to me. I immediately thought of my favorite quote by Emily Dickenson... Dwell in Possibility. This quote reminds me to believe that tomorrow is a new day and that each new day is full of promise. I have this quote written on the chalkboard in my kitchen so that I can see it and be reminded of it daily.

And now, thanks to Beki, I can wear it around my neck. Isn't it lovely?


It's the perfect reminder to keep my chin up and believe!! Thanks so much Beki!

And thank you again, my dear readers, for understanding and bearing with me. I know that my blog has suffered a bit during this time. I am thankful for your understanding. I know that as life settles into a routine, I'll be back to my old blogging self in no time. I hope you'll all be patient with me.


And finally, I want to announce the winner of the Glitter and Bliss giveaway...Annastacia! Congratulations Annastacia! Drop me an email and we'll get you all set up with your darling prize!

Have a great day~

32 comments:

* French Farmhouse 425 * said...

~*~*Such a lovely and heartfelt necklace!You are so pretty in it!~* Blessings, Rachel :)~*

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

Such a heartfelt post! Keeping your sweet family in my prayers.

Shannon @ Posh Pieces said...

This is the first I have read of your husband.. I am so sorry. I always wonder why things have to happen in clusters like that. It's hard enough to deal with one, but to have two people close going through something so major is hard to imagine. I am glad to hear your husband is on the mend.. hang in there, and I am sure your dad will be on the road to recovery very soon.

All the best,
Shannon

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

What a beautiful necklace and a great reminder.
We're continuing to keep you all in our prayers - thank you for updating us!

debi said...

You have lots of blogger friends keeping you and your family in their prayers. Just want you to know, I am too. Hope both men in your life have a quick and full recovery.

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

I hope and pray both the men in your life heal completely and quickly- sorry for how incredibly hard this time must be for you. May God bless your family.

Allison said...

That is such a beautiful necklace! How sweet is that.

And I am still thinking about you and your family!

Theresa said...

Wendy - What a wonderful quote to live by, in so many ways. I am thinking about you as you live through this difficult time...sending speedy recoveries to 'both of your men.'
Theresa

Elsina said...

What a beautiful necklace and quote and a lovely gesture of Beki. I wish you strength to get trough these difficult days and I wish your loved ones a full and speedy recovery!

JeSs said...

Well, love looking and reading the blog! I admire you for still keeping up w posts as well as you have! I completely understand where you are coming from. In 2008 my husband fell asleep at the wheel w myself and my son asleep in the car as well, flipped over I 15 five times and we are here to tell our story. Like you I felt very overwhelmed. I did not walk for six months, my husband flat lined and was asleep for 2 weeks. Thankfully my son only had bruises and saved by his carseat. You will get through it, and you are so strong for your husband and father! Remember to be patient and serve your family first! Lovr your blog but we will survive and so will the blog if yoÙ have other responsibilities first! Thanks for the fun ideas and projects! Its been fun following! :)

Mary Ellen said...

What a sweet gesture! I love the necklace and reading things like this makes me want to be better and making people smile with heartfelt gestures like this!

You don't worry about your blog- we all will be here when you are back full speed!

be blessed
mary

Michele said...

It is amazing how much strength we can muster from the positive thoughts of others. Good for you Wendy! You are indeed dwelling in the possibility. You are a survivor.

stef said...

Saying a prayer for your father this morning, that the surgery will go well.

Laura said...

What a sweet gift of a beautiful necklace. By the way, even under as much stress as you've been, you look absolutely beautiful.
You've been taking care of what is truly most important in life - your loved ones. Your blog & all of us will always be here for you when you're ready.
I'll be thinking of your dad as he undergoes his second surgery.

Carrie said...

Love your quote. Prayers continue to be lifted for your father. I know you are exhausted. Just rest in the Lord and find naps when you can! Take it easy and let things go that can be let go. The minor stuff will fade away.

Prayers and virtual hugs

Cathy @ The Far Fifty said...

I'm glad to hear you are staying so positive and strong!
Don't worry about posting, your faithful followers will be waiting for you!

Lisa said...

Wendy, so sorry for all that you are going through right now. I know a recovery from accidents like these can be a difficult road but hopefully each day will be a little easier. You and your family are in my prayers! Hang in there!

Mandi said...

Oh wish I could help you! Not sure how I would survive two accidents from the men in my life. You hang in there.

Tara @ Tara Being Tara said...

That necklace is beautiful. You continue to be in my prayers!

Janelle said...

That is just so much to deal with! I will continue to keep you in my prayers...wish I lived close by and could mow your lawn or do your laundry, but prayers are all I can contribute. Strength to you and peace and healing to your husband and dad!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

First - You are beautiful, inside and out.

Second - I'm glad I spelled "possibility" correctly. Ha! When I first glanced at the photo I worried that I spelled it wrong.

Third - You have been such and inspiration! I can't understand how you remain so incredibly poised and graceful in such a difficult time, when I would be flailing and whining.

We think of and pray for you often!

Lindsay said...

Its gorgeous wendy. You are such a pretty lady! :)

jociegal said...

How sweet! I have to tell you that I think about you a lot as I am going about my day. You are dealing with so much and I just want you to know that there is a lot of love and prayers being sent to you, even from total strangers like me!!! :) Hang in there. You are strong.

Katherine said...

For someone with a lot on her plate - you sure look good! I think of you often and how you are coping. After having broken my leg just before Christmas last year I have some idea of the issues you are facing. Wishing you well.

Juls said...

You are such an amazing woman! I've been following your blog for a few months now and you are nothing but inspiring! If I were in your shoes, I don't think I would be as well put together as you are.

Congrats Annastacia!

the cape on the corner said...

i knew your husband had been seriously injured, but i didn't know how the injury occurred exactly. my good friend fell asleep at the wheel yesterday, in the afternoon, and hit a pole and a parked car. luckily she wasn't injured, nor was anyone else. we work in a very pedestrian friendly city, and she is lucky that she didn't hit anyone. one of the commenters also stated that happened to them. this is serious. something should be installed in ALL cars, not just fancy expensive cars, that alert you for getting too close to another car, or break automatically. surely you've seen those commercials? those "extras" can save so many lives, so why should it be something that so few can actually afford?! i think priorities are so messed up.

Travelbugmom said...

Oh my goodness! I just recently found your blog and check in periodically. So sorry to hear about your hubs and Dad! My heart skipped a beat as I was reading and I realized what a strong person you must be to keep it together...throw a party for your little guy and blog about it all! Will definitely keep you all in my prayers and will never forget to dwell in possibility! Thanks

Lee Ann said...

What a beautiful quote and beautiful necklace.

Even though I'm quiet (rarely post), I do think of you and your two hurt men. I pray for a quick recovery for them both.

I so understand about backs not healing -- My own Mother suffered for approximately 4 weeks until we heard about a procedure that could help her and it did. I pray that whatever your Dad goes through will help him.

Gail said...

I love the necklace !!!

Bridget said...

Beautiful necklace! I hope you and your husband are able to find some relief soon. I also pray for the best for your dad and his surgery. The days are long but the years are short. Take your time....we'll be here!

Marguerite said...

I think about you often and will pray for your Dad today. It is so incredibly difficult when your partner becomes your patient and responsibility for parenting and well, pretty much everything else, falls on your shoulders unexpectedly. To then also have your father's fall and hospitalization on top of that..... what an incredible amount of stress to be under. Do not worry about the weeds. Ask a friend or neighbor or babysitter to throw a load of laundry in while watching your children. And continue to accept all offers of help. Let others help you so you can be focus on your family.

Mona said...

I had prayed for you just this morning and I will continue to pray. Your poor father. I hope they can do something to help his back.
I find it amazing that both men got hurt at about the same time. You're going through a hard place right now but you are not going through it alone. You have all of us rooting for you!
I don't usually leave my website in 'comments' but I think you may get a laugh or two from visiting it, so I want to mention it to you: NotesfromGardenHome.com
And, if you need more of an escape, I have also written books at:
BooksfromGardenHome.com
I think The Last Chance Companion might give you some laughs.
Hang in there! ^_^