9.16.2010

Frugal Friday~

Hi Everyone! Welcome to this week's edition of Frugal Friday. And I bet you're not going to believe it, but I actually have a project to share!!


With Mr. Two's Pirate Birthday party scheduled for this weekend, I decided that I ought to get going on my home office redo which had been put on hold since John's accident. So I pulled out the old paint brush and set about getting the desks painted so I could get my computers up off the floor before a bunch of 5-year-old feet found their way into that area.

So without further ado, here is the office desk before. This desk was a freebie from one of John's clients who was getting rid of his office furniture. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I definitely wasn't in love with the desk as is. I could sure see some potential in it, however.



And here is the after...



(Please forgive the lighting...even with color correction, I couldn't get it quite right, but you all get the idea. )

So much better. A fresh coat of white paint really shows of the pretty lines of the piece. It looks much more classic and much less Southwestern Rustic. LOVE IT!!
Cost of the project...about $5.00 for paint. That's it. Love me a pretty $5 desk. Yes I do!

And in other news...

John's lung xrays looked so much improved, the Dr. could hardly believe her eyes!! Hooray for small mercies!! (or big mercies in this case, I guess.) And my Dad has been moved from ICU to rehab. He's doing quite well. So despite the long road to healing ahead for both of the men in my life, things are looking up!


Now it's your turn to share...



You know da rules!
1. Please link directly to your post and not just to your blog.
2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so that others can enjoy the frugal goodness.
3. Please comment on the posts you visit. Show our participants "the love!"








22 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so glad to hear about john's xray! reading your post yesterday about hearing him cry out in pain brought tears to my eyes. i can't imagine being that helpless while my husband or someone i love is in pain. hope the party brings much cheer to your home! the table looks fabulous in white!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

Glad the xray went well and that your dad is doing well!! And your desk looks beautiful! I hope you have a great party. :)

Herself said...

Good for you with everything you have going on, still crafting away. Looks gorgeous!

freckled laundry said...

Thank you so much, Wendy. Comforting to read that your husband's lungs are so much better, and that your father is now out of ICU. Continued thoughts and prayers...

You desk is a beautiful piece of frugal goodness!

Happy early birthday, Mr. Two.

Hugs,
Jami

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

That turned out beautiful! So glad you had something to share too! Thanks for hosting!

~Lori @ Paisley Passions
Paisley Passions Linky Party Thrilling Thursdays

Jenni said...

Wendy, I am so glad to hear that your husband's lungs look good! I read your post from yesterday, and feel so badly for him. The pain sounds so terrible! I really hope you are doing all right, too. You all have been on my heart and in my prayers since the accident.

And secondly, the desk looks wonderful! You did a fantastic job on it! It is so amazing how much difference a good paint job can make on a piece of furniture. (Or anything, for that matter!)

I hope you have a good night~
Jenni
Beautiful Nest

Nancy's Couture said...

So glad to hear the are both doing better! By the way I love the desk revamp. It looks so much better.

cindy @ cottage instincts said...

So glad to hear 'the men' are improving :) Hooray!

Thanks for hosting :)

Laura said...

What a difference some paint can make! Your desk looks great!
So glad to hear that John & your dad are doing better.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Biljana said...

Hi Wendy!
Great job, it looks so beautiful:)
Thanks for hosting.
Greetings from Europe, Biljana

Modern Country Style said...

I'm so sorry for the health problems you've had in your family. I'm so glad things are getting better.

I hope Mr Two's party goes well! Two of our childrn are du o have parties and I really must crack on withorganising them.

I'm your newest Follower! Thank you for so much for hosting Modern Country Style.

Wendy said...

Thanks for hosting!

the cape on the corner said...

i love the legs on that desk. it's not what you'd expect from the bigger boxier top! looks great painted, of course.

Richella said...

Wendy, your desk looks wonderful! Congratulations on getting that done.

I am so glad to hear of your dad's progress, and I am overjoyed about John's chest x-ray. After my husband's heart surgery, the chest tubes were the thing that took the longest to come out. He ended up in the hospital for 9 days, mostly because one of his lungs wasn't completely inflated. When they finally removed that last chest tube, it was a real cause for celebration!

Have a wonderful weekend. I hope the Pirate Party is a huge success! Five is a magical age for little boys, isn't it?

bernicewood said...

Wendy,
So glad that your hubby's lungs are better, especially after dealing with the pain at the ortho doctor. It's tough to see your man in pain, I know!
Prayers still going up for your whole family!
Bernice
http://bernicewood.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/virus-protection-for-the-mind/

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Beautiful desk with lovely lines.

Gail said...

Love the table!! Glad to hear your hubby is doing better.

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...

I am so glad to hear things are improving for your husband and father! I have been thinking of you.:) Your desk looks wonderful! I love FREE for sure and you made it look so much better.

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

The dresser looks fantastic. Great job!

Fawn Teresi said...

Thanks for hosting.
I attempted my first furniture distressing this past weekend. I am hoping to keep working at it to get some pieces look as great as the one you posted!
Thanks!

Debra said...

Your desk turned out great!

Glad to hear that your hubby and dad are doing better.

Gail said...

What a beautiful desk!!!