9.02.2010

Frugal Friday~

Because I've had the week I've had...I'm sharing a Frugal Friday post with you that I originally posted last year. Hope you still like it!

My front door was in desperate need of an Autumn spruce up. But my pocket book put the nix on purchasing a new Autumn wreath. So what's a gal with Frugal OCD* to do?
*Obsessively Consumed with Decorating.





Enter this old Christmas wreath, which was looking a little worse for the wear. Some of the berries had lost their red coating and were left as just little white styrofoam balls. Some of the "branches" were loose and threatening to drop off. But I looked at the wreath, and I saw possibilities...Autumn possibilities.

I searched through my stash of Autumn decor and found a bag of fake fall leaves that I purchased at the Dollar store last year. I grabbed my trusty glue gun and went to work.



I pulled off the berries that were now nothing but white styrofoam. I secured the loose branches. And then I just added in the fake leaves. I started with the largest leaves, gluing them into the largest empty spots on the wreath (making sure that they were all tilted the same direction.) After that, I added in the medium size leaves and finished it up with the smallest leaves. And that's all I did. But I was pleasantly surprised.



Now my sad Christmas wreath has a new lease on life, as an Autumn beauty. And my front door is thanking me!

Quick Update on the Hubby and my Dad: It was a trying day for me emotionally. My dad, it turns out, also broke a disk in his back, and when I went to see him at the hospital, they were in the process of trying to get a brace on his back. He was in terrible pain. It's just so hard to see my father...my brave daddy...the one who is supposed to be big and strong...so vunerable.

And John, was just really out of it. He was doing better physically. His PTs were able to help him walk today, and he was actually sitting in a chair when I arrived at the hospital. Both very good things, but he was drained...and it reminded me a little too much of the first day he was there. I probably could have handled it better had I not just come from seeing my dad. But both men are healing and that is all I can ask right now. Thank you again for your continuing messages of love and support!

Now it's your turn...

1. Please link directly to your post and not just to your blog.

2. Please make sure to link back to The Shabby Nest so that others can enjoy the Frugal goodness.

3. PLEASE comment. Help our participants feel appreciated!!




34 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Continued good thoughts and wishes for your family! And a speedy recovery for the men in your life!

Cecily said...

Oh my gosh, girl, you've just got to hang in there and stay strong! I really can't imagine how hard it must be for you to be at home right now, thinking about the two of them.

I hope you have someone close by, a friend or family member, that can help keep you grounded during this rough patch. Praying for all of you.

Decorchick! said...

I'm so glad they are both doing ok Wendy. I know it has to be very difficult to go through, but I am so thankful your husband and your dad are alive and ok. Praying for a quick recovery for the both of them! xo

Cathy @ The Far Fifty said...

I'm glad your men are on their way to recovery, just hang in there and be strong for them.

Christie said...

I am lifting a prayer for your family right now. Christie at Three Pixie Lane

Lindy said...

Wow, I never guessed it was a Christmas wreath until you said so...Very nice transformation...
Thanks for hosting.

The Frosted Gardner said...

I hope all continues to go well for your family. My goodness - so scarey. Continued prayers.

Lolly Jane said...

clever wreath, so cute!

thanks for hosting!

:)kristi & kelli

* French at Heart * said...

~*~so happy to hear the precious men in your life are healing!!:)LOVE your wreath!!~*~*

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

You have been through so much. I'm sending my prayers your way.

Michele said...

What a week... And the linky party is there waiting for us all! Way to go, Wendy! You are a strong one, it appears, and so are your men. Inspiring!

Leanne said...

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult day, but I'm glad they're both improving. Keep good thoughts. Thanks for hosting. You're strong and brave.

Cap Creations said...

I just learned about the men in your life and am so sorry to hear that. Just want you to know that I'll be praying for you all and for a speedy recovery for each. Until then I hope you find peace in Him.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Thinking of you and all of your family. I pray that you will have the strength you need to bear your burdens!

Maxabella said...

I had to go and check what's been going on for you this week and I'm so sorry to hear that things are down. x

Marianne@Songbird said...

Hi Wendy, I am so glad the men in your life are doing better. I can only imagine how stressful this time is for you.
It took some time but I am so happy I can link up again. I gave an old closet we have had forever a makeover (that qualifies as frugal I hope). Thank you for hosting and I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Laura said...

I'm sorry to hear that yesterday was so difficult. It must be so hard to see those you love in pain. I hope each day brings healing for them. Stay strong - your love will help them through this.

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear that it was harder yesterday. I hope that today gives you more ups than downs. Thanks for keeping up with your blog while you go through this. Praying for you and yours.

Richella said...

God bless you, Wendy. I know it is only by God's grace that you are not completely overwhelmed. I pray He will continue to hold you close.

Thank you for hosting this party even in the midst of this crisis. Your re-post from last year is wonderful!

the cape on the corner said...

so glad that all seem to be doing better. thank you for hosting even in the middle of all this, and i really love your fall wreath!

Laura @ Just For Love said...

The wreath is BEAUTIFUL. Just perfect for fall : ) Have a wonderful weekend, friend!

Lots of love,
Laura

Katie said...

Beautiful wreath! Glad to hear recovery is going well, and hope they each only get stronger with the passing days!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love your fall'ified winter wreath! Sorry yesterday was a draining day... praying today brings some needed rest and relief.

Jennifer @ Serendipity said...

I am so glad your husband and dad are doing better......one day at a time. Praying for strength, endurance, and comfort for you and your family during this time!

AliLilly said...

Thank you for keeping us updated! We will continue to pray for them.

I LOVE the wreath!!!

Thanks for hosting! :)

AntiqueChase said...

Thanks for the update.. hugs!

Olivia said...

Great wreath! Thanks for the linky!
suchakingdom.blogspot.com

Carrie said...

I've been away from the blog world a bit recently so I very sorry to hear of your double tragedy - both daddy and hubbby in hospital. Gosh I hope they are getting stronger everyday and I send my best wishes.
Your Frugal Fridays are wonderful - can't wait for my neew house!

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Amazing transformation, you'd never think it was supposed to anything other than an autumn wreath!

Prayers that your Hubby and Dad will heal quickly!

freckled laundry said...

Happy to read good (better) news about your husband and father. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Love your wreath...fall is in the air!

Hugs,
Jami

Tommie Jo said...

Great idea! And it looks great! I just hung my autumn wreath today!!!

Christine:) said...

Beautiful autumn wreath! I hope your family continues to heal.

Thank you for hosting today:)

Memories by Christine scrapbooking
http://mbcscrapbooking.blogspot.com
Link up your projects every Thursday!
Baby album workshop Sept 13-24

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Keeping you and your family in thoughts and saying a prayer. Thanks for hosting the party even with so much going on.
I also wanted to thank you for featuring my bathroom remodel! Wow! So glad you enjoyed it and thank you so much!
Your wreath is beautiful too! :)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Love the wreath!!

Praying for your hubby and dad.