9.13.2010

Ahoy~

Mr. Two turns five this week. And we are throwing a Pirate Birthday Party! He requested a pirate party basically the day following his 4-year-old party. He has asked me about his "Pirate Birthday" - as he calls it - at least once a week for the entire year. So despite our family's recent events, I knew that his Pirate Extravaganza must go forward! (Besides, a boy only turns 5 once, right?)

So this past weekend I made the invitations. I had gone back and forth about what I wanted to do for the invitations, but when I went to the craft store to actually purchase the paper, inspiration struck. (We'll get to that in a minute.)

Here's what I came up with...

First, I made small newspaper hats...



Newspaper hats have always been "pirate hats" in my mind. And I thought larger versions would make cute decorations at the party as well. Should you want to make some of your own, you can find a super simple newspaper hat tutorial here.

After I made the hats, I pasted cute wooden pirate ship cutouts on the front of each hat (these were the inspiration items I found at Robert's Craft.) And in the back brim of each hat I tucked the party information printed on tan parchment-look paper and mounted on red cardstock for a little color. And FYI, if you're a font fanatic like me, I used the Blackadder font...it looks very pirate-y to me.




We're hand delivering these invites, so I didn't have to worry about how to mail them, although they would fit easily into a 5x7 envelope if you wanted to do something similar.

So now that the invites are on their way, I'll be busy creating the rest of this Pirate Party Extraordinaire. I'll be sharing with you all as I go.

Have a great day~

21 comments:

Kara said...

SO adorable! Love the paper hat! Cant wait to see what else you have in store!! Have fun!

Kara @ Mine for the Making

AntiqueChase said...

AH, I miss those days.... so cute

Kendra@My Insanity said...

I did a pirate party for my son last year when he turned 5. If you need any inspiration here are two posts about it:

1-http://meandmyinsanity.blogspot.com/2009/09/pirates-party-for-me.html

2- http://meandmyinsanity.blogspot.com/2009/09/secrets-of-pirate-party.html

This week, I am putting together his robot party for Saturday! We'll both be busy, right?

Best wishes for those special men in your life!

Emily @ Finding My Aloha said...

So cute! Glad you are still going to do the party! It might serve as a happy distraction. Love the pirate theme. I am getting ready to start thinking about my son's second birthday. He is obsessed with airplanes so Im going to run with that. Youre invites are getting me motivated! Hope its a wonderful party!

Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

Super cute! Love the little hat, what I great idea.

I know you are dealing with a lot right now, so I have some pirate cupcake toppers in my etsy shop that I would happily customize and send to you for free if that would be helpful. Email me at mommagoround@gmail.com if you would like them!

Marianne@Songbird said...

Five, my my he is getting big. Congratulations with the upcoming birthday and it looks like it is going to be a wonderful fun filled party!

Donna Rafferty said...

I have some pirate scrapbook kits at my shop here:

http://www.plaindigitalwrapper.com/shoppe/home.php?cat=60

If you can use any of them, let me know (d_rafferty@yahoo.com) and I'll send you a coupon to grab them free.

Just a little pay it forward for all the enjoyment i get from reading your blog :-)

Laura said...

Cute invitations! You have such an amazing eye - I can't wait to see the rest of what you come up with!

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

These are just adorable, great job! Enjoy the party and your son's birthday! Janell

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

A paper hat is perfect! Looks fantastic.

Lindsay said...

OH my gosh Wendy! HOW CUTE!

VivatRegina said...

Very cool!! Praying for all the men in your life... even the little ones. ;) lol.

Menley said...

Very cute! There are more ideas for a pirate birthday party over thinkgarnishblog.com.

bernicewood said...

Oh how adorable! I never did get crazy creative with my kids birthdays! Now I wish I had! I can always offer to help with my grandchildren's parties, I am sure my daugther would not mind (she has 6 kids, lol!)

Bernice
http://bernicewood.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/my-very-first-blog-post-revised/

Carol said...

Precious! You are totally rockin' to be this creative in a time of such distress and exhaustion. Still praying for your family... looks like an awesome birthday party to enjoy!

Carol
antiquetexan.blogspot.com

jenn said...

so cute!!

Tommie Jo said...

How very creative and CUTE! And he must REALLY want that pirate party huh, mom to ask for it for a year? Too funny!

Cheryl said...

Love your ingenuity. How clever. Sounds like the pirate party is going to be tons of fun. Can't wait to see what you do for decorations and games, etc.

Maggie said...

great way to recycle..luv it
maggie
http://cuttingabove.blogspot.com

freckled laundry said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Two!

freckled laundry said...

...and the hat and invitations are adorable!!! My son had a pirate birthday for #5, too, but his mama wasn't THAT clever!