8.12.2010

Frugal Friday~

Howdy y'all!! Welcome to this week's edition of Frugal Friday.



Or perhaps I should say "HALLĂ…" (yeah, that's "hello" in Swedish...I'm smart like that...) seeing as how today I'm going to show you all an IKEA knock-off project.

Have you heard of  the Dignitet display system from IKEA? I really wanted this for Mr. One's Tween Room...but even though IKEA prices are quite reasonable, I just didn't want to spend the money. So I decided to create one of my own.


I thought I'd personalize my version just a bit, so I decided to add some interest by using house numbers. I happened to have a few laying around that I used in the boys' room in our previous house to number their towel hooks...


I just had to purchase the number 4. So I ran to my local big box hardware store (you know the one that rhymes with "foam repo" and bought one.) I also picked up a package of picture hanging wire. But that was it for my purchases.





I wasn't sure what to use for the clips until I remembered that I had some old drapery rings in storage.





I removed the clips from each ring, and I had just what I needed.





The actual assembly was easy-peasy. I just measured and marked where I wanted the numbers to go on the wall (I made sure to use a level so that the wires wouldn't look all wonky once I put them on.) Then I screwed the numbers to the wall leaving the bottom screw a little loose on each one so that I could wrap the picture wire around them. After I wrapped the wire tight, I clipped it with some wire clippers and finished tightening the screws. Then I added the clips and VOILA! My $6 version of IKEA's Dignitet display system!



It adds a fun little sumthin' sumthin' above Mr. One's IKEA Expedit workstation.





I'm sure he'll have it filled up with his artwork in no time!!


Now it's your turn!

You know "da rules"...

1. Please link directly to your post and not just to you blog.
2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so that others can enjoy the frugal goodness.
3. Comment, comment, comment! Show our participants the love!









26 comments:

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

Great idea! And I like yours with the numbers better than the original! I also wanted to tell you that I am loving the pics of you and your sister - what fun!
Thanks for hosting again - can't believe I was the first one to link up!

freckled laundry said...

I agree with the above...I like yours better, too. You are a clever girl, Wendy. I have about 50 ideas in the inspiration folder...you available? :)

Jami

Leanne said...

It looks great! I love the numbers. Thanks for hosting!

Kristi said...

This is my first time linking up and linked 3 projects. I hope you don't mind! I really love this idea and I actually think it's be a great idea anywhere in the house. Even for B&W photos. Now, I just need to find somewhere to do it. haa

Oh, and I love the numbered towel hooks too!

~The Speckled Dog

Van said...

I love this display idea, it came out beautifully! Cute desk area, too!

Suzanne said...

Loved your idea for displaying projects! Thanks so much for hosting too!

gnee @ Singing With Birds said...

Love the beautiful pix with your sis. Thanks for hosting another great party!

abby @ tales and trials said...

that's such a fun idea! and I love the look of it with the numbers. may have to do that in our next house!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love this idea! i also have my kids artwork suspended by ikea curtain cables, but i love the added number. great idea!

Cara said...

I love the look of this art-display system! I was contemplating something similar for my son's big boy room makeover (he turns 3 this month), but I was worried about my son trying to hang from it if I put it too low. I guess your kids are old enough to know not to do that (or a little less wild than mine!), right? Maybe next week I'll get to participate in the linky party...I've got lots of projects in the works!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

The numbers totally make it! What a fantastic idea!

Colette said...

Thanks for hosting! I love stopping by to link up and to dive into other links. My favorite find this week was the "Find Your Design Style".

Thanks again,
Colette
www.mycomputerismycanvas.com

the cape on the corner said...

i sooo love this idea. this year for xmas and bday cards, i am gonna display with that ikea piece!

Whimsical Creations said...

That turned out fantastic!

Momma to Bug n' Bear said...

That is a great idea! Way to improvise and repurpose your unused numbers. We have one from ikea (several years old) that I had purchased on ebay and hung up in the playroom. I love the wire artwork displays.

-Desiree

Lorrie said...

This is a great idea - love the numbers. It would be a good way to string up photos of things I want to make in my sewing room/studio.

Lindsay said...

Love this project Wendy! I saw these at Ikea the other day and was justifying the purchase :)

Nikki@KreativeKnack said...

Love those numbers! I've got to do something with some numbers soon! Thanks for hosting!

Heather said...

Thank you for hosting! Would love for you to come link up to Fabulous Friday! Thanks!
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

AliLilly said...

Thanks for hosting!! I like your version better!! I would love that in my daughters room. Helps with counting. I could even paint the numbers pink and green to match her room!! Thanks for the inspiration!!! :)

melissa * 320 Sycamore said...

I've seen lots of wire, but I love the numbers! I hope you're loving summer in Utah..do you miss humidity?? :)

Southern Belle said...

Love this gadget and I have it! I purchased it at IKEA a couple months ago. Once I set up my house I can't wait to try it out!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I like your version with the numbers! Perfect for hanging up your tween's creativity.

Thanks for hosting this week. Have a great weekend!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Oh I am soooo stealing this idea. Love it!

Petite Rabbit Vintage said...

I really love your blog! I just linked my bedroom redo on your Frugal Friday post. I'm new to blogging and this was my first attempt at linking, so I didn't link to you from my blog (sorry). But I will try it again and be sure to link (or add your button) over on mine as soon as I figure out how to do it. Thanks for understanding!

Petite Rabbit Vintage said...

Well I should have kept trying before I posted the last comment, ha! I got your link onto my blog, so I think we're set. This will be a lot more fun when I stop making goof ups! :)