7.12.2010

The Tween Room - For the Love of IKEA~

It occurred to me that I haven't talked about Mr. One's Tween room in a while. So I thought I'd give you all a little update today.




As you may remember, I had some grand plans before my budget for his room was suddenly gone. So I made do with what I had already purchased.


One of the things we were lucky enough to have purchased before our budget ran out was the IKEA Expedit workstation. I love this desk/bookshelf combo.



This is the version we purchased for Mr. One's room...it has a black/brown finish. I love the clean modern lines. And the storage...Oh, the storage! It was easy to put together with the help of the hubby.


Just a hint: If you happen to put together this bookcase with your spouse, please make sure you are both in good communication mode that day. So that when you ask him to "hold it up for a minute", he doesn't hear "put it down" (because those two things sound so similar...lol) and accidentally drop said bookcase on your little toe causing a huge purple bruise that lasts a week and half. Don't worry, I've long since forgiven the Hubby for his lapse in listening skills. Really, I have..


In the meantime, I have something up my sleeve for Mr. One's room...that I plan to hang above the workstation in the interim.

Here's a hint...What do Anthropologie, a 2-liter soda bottle, and a Styrofoam sphere have in common? Well, you'll have to wait until Frugal Friday to find out...but it will be worth the wait! (I hope anyway.)

Have a great day~

11 comments:

Jenni said...

Hi Wendy~

I love what you have done with your son's room so far! And I can't wait to see what you have planned to hang over his work area! I can't begin to guess what it is, so I will just have to come back on Friday!

I hope you are having a wonderful summer so far! :)

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

Okay, I have no idea!! Looking forward to finding out...Janell

Andi's English Attic said...

Nope, me neither. Thanks for the riddle though! Love that way of displaying art - surely it's something that can be made at home though, without spending your pennies? xx

Mom in High Heels said...

We have that desk/shelf combo (though with a 4 x4 shelf) in our home school room and I LOVE it. It is wonderful. I can't wait to see the full room.

jen @ homeinthecountry said...

Anthro + 2-liter + styrafoam = ? Sounds super-interesting... can't wait to hear what you've got up your sleeve. But if that doesn't work out, what if you just grabbed nails + string/twine + clothespins - you could make a display similar to the ikea display for much cheaper (although it wouldn't have the same metallic effect...)

Peggy said...

Oh, I've seen one of those art holders homemade before... It was so cool!! Old repurposed bathroom towel bar ends were used and wire from Lowe's. The towel holder ends were attached to the walls using its hardware. A small hole was drilled to accomodate the wire, it was pulled tight and then these wire clamp thingees (I've seen them but don't know what they are called) were used to tighten/finish the whole thing. She got the towel bar ends at the thrift store, wire and wire tighteners new. I don't remember the total cost but I do remember it was definitely cheaper than Ikea plus she didn't have to make the multi-hour roundtrip drive. Hope this helps...

Pam @ Frippery said...

We bought a very inexpensive cable curtain rod thingy from Ikea that works similarly and used it in my Fine Arts major daughters studio room to hang art from curtain clips. Works like a charm. Love where your room is headed. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next!

Erin said...

The room looks great! I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve!

jociegal said...

very nice!!! Gotta love Ikea!

paige said...

the space looks great!
always love an ikea answer to a budget restricted plan!!

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

oh aren't husbands wonderful! my husband has what I have only heard of until I met him "selective hearing" he only hears what he wants!! its quite amazing!