6.06.2010

A Girl and Her Blog~

I started The Shabby Nest almost 2 years ago. I wasn't sure what to expect at first...I just knew that I wanted a place where I could share my creativity with others. I also didn't realize, two years ago, that my sweet little blog would become such an important part of my life.


Through this blog, I have met the most amazing, supportive, and talented people! I have made true and lasting friends! I have found a constant source of inspiration in the many other decor and creative blogs out there in blogland! I have discovered, through my blog, that my true passion...the thing that I want to do when I grow up...the thing that makes my heart sing...is interior design. I had always enjoyed in it, had worked in it briefly, but never pursued it seriously until my blog brought it into sharp focus in my life. Writing this blog has created a sort of epiphany for me, and I am so thankful for that. It has given me the desire to follow my bliss.

Now, I'm going to let you all in on a little secret. For the past several years, I have worked from home as a part-time editorial assistant. I have been able to help support my family, while still being home with my children. I work for a University as a contracted employee. And that contract ends in just a few short months. So I find myself at a crossroads. What do I do for employment? I could pursue my former line of work...marketing and PR. I could return to my area of study in college...Fashion. I could find a full-time job somewhere and face the prospect of putting my kiddos in day care/ after school care (which breaks my mama heart) or I could follow my heart.


The loves of my life


And this brings me back to my blog. My children are where my heart is. The Shabby Nest is where my heart is. Interior Design is where my heart is. The intersection of these things is where I long to be. And so, my dear readers, today I am putting my heart on my sleeve. I am telling you all that I want this blog to be my daily commute, my lunch meetings, my business presentations. I want this blog to be what I do.



I want to make my blog everything it can be. I want to make it a place that you, my readers, love to visit. A place that inspires you. A place that becomes, for you, exactly what it has become for me....and that is a joyful place to be. So please help me, readers...let me know what you want from this blog. What sorts of posts will bring you back? What sorts of posts will bring others here?

When I was young, I set a goal, and I went after it. Fear never stopped me. Now that I am an adult, I have let fear stand in my way. And I'll be honest, right now I am a little scared, but I won't let that stand in my way this time. I have a favorite quote over my desk that reads "She believed she could, so she did." That's my new mantra. I'm not sure exactly what I am doing, but I am sure of one thing. I love this blog, and if it can be what I do all the time, I will be one very happy girl. And so, I'm going to believe in myself, and believe in this blog, and give it my all, 101%.

For those of you who are tech-savvy and "in the know", I could really use some insight into the best way to grow this blog. Any help or insights you have to offer will be greatly appreciated!



All of this said, be on the lookout for lots of fun and exciting changes around these parts. More design consultations...more tweets...more facebook posts...great deals on sponsorships...lots of inspiration to share with you all...


I look forward to sharing this journey with you!! Thanks for your love and support! Thanks for making this blog my happy place! I really do have the best readers in blogland!!

xoxo
Wendy

41 comments:

Dawn said...

Hey Wendy! I'm so excited to watch this become your dream! I wish you all the luck in the world!

Laura said...

That's right, you go for it, girl! I can't wait to see the changes that are about to take place. I love your blog and wish you the very best of luck. Lots of love to you!

Lindsay said...

This is SO incredible! You are one of the first bloggers that got me going, that helped me out when I didn't even know how to write a post! I was instantly inspired by you and have since been one of your biggest fans. I stand behind you and the only thing I can suggest is keep doing what you do girl. You are one talented lady!! Hugs and I am here for you!!

Lindsay Lee

claudia b said...

I wish you much luck, and I totally agree with you in following your heart in this - BEST OF LUCK!!!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i am not tech savvy, and can't help you there, but just wanted to say that i have thoroughly enjoyed your blog, always appreciate your creativity, and truly admire your life balance. i wish you all the best and look forward to watching your blog grow!

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

You do an amazing job, it truly is a fortunate day when a person gets to follow their passions! Janell

abeachcottage.com said...

good luck with following your dream...

Sarah

nateandkatesmom said...

Wow, just before I read this post, I just finished typing my "2-years of blogging" post too! Mine hasn't grown anywhere near how yours has, but since it is mainly a family blog with a recipe or craft or decorating post thrown in here or there, I wouldn't expect it to.
As for your blog...you've had me hooked for a while, so I say, just keep doing what your doing! Several of my friends and blog readers have checked out your blog because I have it displayed on mine under "blogs that I follow" so if you encourage your readers to do the same, I'm sure more will be able to find you! Good luck with it all! Can't wait to see the changes!

Sue@Uniquelychicboutiqueblogsot.com said...

I'm new to blog world and I just love your posts and your passion for blogging. I think if you follow your passion, only good can come from it. "Cast your dreams before they slip away" Rolling Stones...my mantra. LOve yours in your post and think I will use it as my Facebook status tonight. Good luck to you...Sue

Angie said...

Very exciting!!! Looking at how many followers you have your obviously doing something right so I wouldn't be to nervous!! ;)

Deb said...

You are so talented, I am sure you'll have great success with whatever you choose to do!

me said...

I have no words of wisdom for you ~ but I wish you ALL the best luck with wherever the universe takes you next!!!

Sending vibes for strength, courage and clarity ~~~

Carmen said...

I have always enjoyed your blog. You were one of the very first blogs I started following. You are talented and creative, I know whatever you do will be great! Your kiddos are so darn cute!!! :)

Kelsey said...

I love your blog! It is a daily read for me. I applaud the courage and faith in yourself and the blogging community to branch out on your own and follow your bliss! You should love what you do and its obvious that this blog is what you "should" do!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Best wishes! I am going to write your quote near my art table. So much of success is from maintaining a "I think I can - little blue engine" mentality. I often allow myself to doubt my abilities - which is what the devil wants, not what God wants.
Go for it!

Simply Stafford said...

I love your blog and your style! Good luck with your new adventure!!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I love the photo of you in your post... gorgeous!

Becca said...

Good for you. I wish you all the best. I'm sure you've seen it, but I love Tara Frey's book on blogging. It has suggestions on growing your blog.

Becca

Miracle in the Making said...

Wishing you all the best!!

Frau said...

Follow your heart...love your blog..

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Best of luck, Wendy!

paige said...

you have been one of my sweetest supporters out here in blogland....sending you all the love & support for YOUR fantastic blog!
& ps...thank you for the love in your interview
MWAH!!!

Michelle said...

Hi there, your post really grabbed my attention. After 16 years working in IT in London & New York, I gave it all up to return to Ireland where I renovated my grandmothers cottage and where i now live with two cats and three chickens and my daily commute is my blog, apart from term time as I've just returned to college studying art. I totally say 'follow your heart' BUT I would say try and keep a 'real job' for a while until you get yourself established. I didn't and it's taken me two years of hard work (much of it unpaid) to get where I am. I recently appeared on tv and am having some articles printed in local paper and a magazine next month. However I have to say I may not be rich but I am happier than ever. Wishing you lots of luck and success. Michelle x

Laura said...

i love your blog & your style! you were one of the first blogs i discovered. i look forward to reading your posts & being inspired. i love the wonderful ideas you come up with, esp. since you do most on a budget. i wish i could offer some advice, but i can only wish you luck & say congrats on following your heart!

Marianne@Songbird said...

I have recently made Dare to Dream my motto, and I have to remind myself constantly that it is ok to dream big and than go and try to live the dream.
Good luck on this adventure (btw, I still work parttime at a university, but love my blog so much more than my academic work too).

Fern Valley Farm said...

Wendy,
I just wanted to let you know that I have been reading your blog almost daily from the beginning. You have influenced me more than anyone else out there. I don't have any great advice for you other than to keep being yourself-that's what we all love!
~Elissa

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Congratulations on the big Life Decision! I'm so excited for you. The things that keep me coming back to shelter blogs are new posts every day and Before-and-Afters, mainly. I love yours and visit all the time!

barbara@hodge:podge said...

I wouldn't change a thing! I think your blog is fantastic but after following you for a bit, you will come up with something even more amazing, you are very creative and wish my blog was half as great as yours ( I am so un-tech savvy!)
Good luck as you travel down a new path!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Way to go Wendy!!! I think if you just stay true to being you your blog will keep on growing. If I can do anything to help you out just let me know~ xoxox Susie

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

No advice but best of luck! :)

Holly said...

Yay big sis!!!! I have no doubt that you will succeed. :)

melissa * 320 Sycamore said...

You know I heart you and the Shabby Nest. Just be you and let your heart and your fabulous eye for beauty lead you :) Can't wait!

Reese said...

I can totally relate to your fear issues. I thought I'd cornered the market. One day I asked God to take away my fear...tighten the seatbelt. I've gone from a girl so paralyzed by fear that I could barely leave my couch to opening a 5000 sg ft toy store with my husband, life savings, and a couple of great kids in tow. Wow! What a sweet ride! I'm sure He has something wonderful in store for you too.

Heather said...

I read your blog regularly, and thought you might like to know what I visit for: inspiration for my home, tutorials to help me carry out my inspiration, quick and cheap ideas for refurbishing stuff. Giveaways are nice, but not what I come here for.

JaneB said...

Hi Wendy, I'm new to the world of interior design blogs, but i love yours and i just want to give you a loud 3 cheers from down here in New Zealand, for doing what you love. And believing that you can! Go you.

Jane in NZ

Beverly said...

good luck Wendy! I do love reading your blog. I miss being able to read it through the reader though.

I think a good idea would be to have a flickr group where people could post photos of ideas from your blog or you could have a weekly assignment that everyone could post on flickr and be featured on your blog? just a thought.

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Hi Wendy, I'm a BIG fan and have been reading you for a long time. I'm a little over two years as a blogger, and while I don't work full-time, I do make a decent monthly income at it, and I know that you can too. Your traffic, connections and influence can be used to help you reach more readers and bring you some income to help make this leap feel better for you and your family. Feel free to email me if you want to chat.

Lisa said...

Wendy, I would have thought that you already spent every waking moment on here because your blog is so fabulous and inspirational. Good lucky with your future plans and I hope you are able to build on an already wonderful foundation at the Shabby Nest!

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

That is great that you have been able to do so much in just TWO YEARS. Wow. Great job. Whatever you're doing, keep. it. up. I love to read you blog.

jociegal said...

This is one of my favorite blogs and I can tell you that I will be here with you along the way, reading and loving it. Good luck to you! Following your dreams is not usually easy, but so, so worth it.

debra said...

Congratulations on making the leap. I love your blog - visit it almost everyday. It is a joy to read and really informative. I would say to keep doing what you do since you do it so well. Looking forward to the future!