6.17.2010

Frugal Friday~

Hello folks! Welcome to this week's edition of Frugal Friday! I have kind of a funny project for you today...so let me explain first. You see, our out-of-town family starts arriving this weekend. Yes, the first of our summer visitors arrive Sunday...and then we'll be having house guests on and off for the next 7 weeks. I'M SO EXCITED!

So for the past few days, all I have been doing is cleaning and laundry. Laundry and cleaning.


But I did have a pinch of extra time to go the local nursery and buy some flowers for the front planter beds. And while I was there I picked up this sweet little succulent plant. Um, yes...this little plant IS my Frugal Friday project this week...ta da!



Okay, there's a bit more to it than that. Below is the console/buffet that sits in our dining area. It has been the bain of my decorating existence since we moved in. I love the piece. I need the storage. But, for the life of me, I can't accessorize the thing. (Well, that and I've decided there is entirely TOO MUCH black going on in that corner...so that will soon be changing....maybe that's next week's Frugal Friday project. But I digress...)


In an effort to add a little color to that boring corner, I took my little succulent plant and repotted it in this pretty sunshine-y yellow glazed pot.



Then I pulled out a lovely robin's egg blue plate and put them together. And voila! a little summer sunshine right there in that boring corner. (Still needs a little sumthin' sumthin' though). So there you have it...a funny, little Frugal Friday.




Now it's your turn!

You know "da rules"...

1. Please link directly to your post and not just to your blog.
2. Please link back to The Shabby Nest so that others can enjoy the frugal goodness.
3. Comment, comment, comment. Show our participants the love!






25 comments:

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

I actually like all the black in that corner! But the plant and pop of color do liven it up! I can't believe you are so excited to have house guests for 7 weeks!!

Oh, and thanks for the party! When do we all get to come over??

Leanne said...

Have a wonderful time with your guests. THanks for hosting again.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

The yellow and blue are lovely together. I love the black furniture - seeing it really makes me want to paint something! Hope you enjoy your weekend. Thanks for hosting! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Diann said...

Just that little bit of color and change up makes a lot of difference! i like it!

Pam said...

Ohhhh! I want that white fan! wow! The accessories look perfectly at home now. Have a wonderful time with your company! Pam @ Sallygoodin P.S. Thanks for hosting the party. :)

Rene' said...

I love your little plant!!

Canadian Cottage said...

Wow that is a lot of guests, good for you to be excited and not stressed so you can actually enjoy them. I love the little plant with the plate! The pot is really cute. I think you are very talented with accessories! I'm going to paint some like that for my porch. Have a great weekend!
janice

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love the yellow pot and the color added to that corner. Glad you enjoy all those guests coming. I would be a little stressed.

Icy BC said...

I like the colors of your succulent clay pot! It brightens up that beautiful cabinet and they go well together.

Lori S. said...

Love your ideas! Thanks for hosting :)

~Lori @ live,laugh,love,create :)

Mayje said...

Wow it's pretty! I like the outcome... I actually smiled when I saw the final look. Enjoy your summer!

Terrell said...

Thank you for the link party! I love that little robin egg blue plate! So much charm! Have a great weekend!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Maggie Mae said...

Your black corner looks good. But I can see where you might feel it is too black. I would take the black board down and hang something lighter - maybe even a mirror.
I LOVE your blue plate! Although I think it could use to be brighter to make that corner pop even more. I'll take that plate off your hands. LOL :)
Love your blog!

Momma to Bug n' Bear said...

Can you paint the chalkboard (or even the lamp) robins egg blue so there isn't too much black?

I have the same problem with a black console table in my living room. I CANNOT find the right accessories for it.

Thanks for hosting!

-Desiree

MICHELL said...

Thank you for hosting!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I have just gotten home from a month in Italy, there hasn't been many 'frugal friday's... but there will be from here on out!
Love it!

Lanni said...

love the color combos!

lanni @ dandygiveaway.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Just found your blog & am in love! Would be honored if you would come link up to our Fabulous Friday linky party!
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

Shell in your Pocket said...

so very cute....
sandy toe

freckled laundry said...

Grabbed your button & put it on my new blog. I would love it if you stopped by & would faint if you found it follow-worthy. Great blog.

I like what you did with your little corner. It looks great the way it is, but if you could find a little white (or robin's egg blue)ceramic/glass egg or chickadee or something, you could put it atop the chalkboard and bring some white UP. A mirror in place of that awesome chalkboard would work too.

freckled laundry said...

Went back and looked at your pics again - scratch the mirror suggestion, def. keep the chalkboard & a little yellow somethin' atop the chalkboard would work too given the plant pot.

Alison @ Welcome Sunshine Home said...

Hi! I found you from The Nester's page and am your newest follower. I'm looking forward to getting caught up on your posts and linking up to your party in the future. Feel free to stop by the blog I share with my hubby some time. :)

Enjoy the week!

Alison

http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

dogsmom said...

I am linking up late, but will try to do better in the future.
Who would think that being without a vehicle and being forced to stay home would still mess with my time.
I am sure with all that company you will have many adventures to relate. Try to find some time for yourself as well.

*Chic Provence* said...

Love succulents in colorful containers, and this one definitely brightened that corner...kudos!!

xxx

Kit

the VG huis said...

Hi Wendy, I really like the black in your corner! That's what my eye was drawn to in the first place. But I know what you mean about needing a little something b/c I have a lot of black that I'm itching to redo.. but haven't a clue with what to do with it!!! I really do love how simple your pop of colour livened up the area!