6.11.2010

Frugal Friday~

Some of you may remember a few weeks back when I was discussing the fact that I wanted an overscale photo for my boys' sock monkey bedroom. Well, I did a lot of research trying to find a product that was what I wanted in a price that wouldn't break the bank.

Finally, while I was cleaning out my "favorites" file, I ran across a post that I had bookmarked a couple of years ago about creating vinyl wall clings. Turns out, it was exactly what the doctor ordered.



Wallhogs is a company that specialized in creating large art prints from your photographs or digital prints. They don't only create vinyl clings, they also use an adhesive backed fabric called PhotoTex, glossy posters, or canvas. They can make an image up to 7 feet! And the adhesive backed fabric and vinyl clings can be removed or repositioned without damaging the wall. (perfect for renters!) But, the best part? Their prices!! SUPER AFFORDABLE!!


Here's the picture of the hubby that I wanted to put on the boys' wall.




I uploaded it to Picnik.com and played with the colors until I got a sepia/brown combo that I knew would work in the boys' room (I thought the black and white wouldn't go over so well.) Then I made sure it was at a high enough resolution to enable a large print. After all that, I hopped on the Wallhogs site, followed their easy instructions and in a few days I had my 4 foot vinyl cling.



I must admit, it was a little time consuming to install...and it took 2 people...but I just love the result!! (Although I've decided it doesn't look nearly as large in the photos as it does on the wall..hmmm.)




And for those of you who are wondering...no Wallhogs didn't pay me for this post....I was just really impressed.


Now it's your turn!

You know "da rules"...

1. Link directly to your post and not just to your blog.

2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so that others can enjoy the Frugal Goodness!

3. Comment, comment, comment. Show our participants the love!!





17 comments:

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

That is so cool! I love the sepia! I will have to check them out - thanks for sharing, and for hosting!

Mary Ellen said...

I didn't realize you could even make a vinyl out of a picture! This is fantastic!

Sew Much Ado said...

That is an awesome photo and looks so great in the room! Thanks for hosting :).

Donna said...

What a great idea! I never would have imagined you could do something like that! I'll have to file that away in my decorating folder. Thanks for showing us this and for hosting Frugal Friday! I love it.

Laura said...

Now that is just TOO precious. A perfect picture for a little guy's room : ).

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Very impressive wall treatment! You could even put some molding around it for a frame. Gorgeous! I'll definitely be checking out their website. Thanks for sharing!

★All Thingz Related★ said...

I love that photo!
Thanks for hosting!
Have a great weekend!
{Rebekah}

miss corner cape said...

how neat!

Momma to Bug n' Bear said...

Great picture and very neat idea!
Thanks for hosting.

-Desiree

Adventures of a CrAzY LaDy! said...

That turned out REALLY cool! Thanks for sharing! I had a question for you - what font did you use in your header that says "The Shabby Nest"? I really love it and have seen it in other places but can't find it for myself.

Terrell said...

Love the picture...it goes perfect! Thank you for hosting a super party!!
Terrell

Diann said...

Well, that is totally cool! And it really turned out fantastic!

Shirley said...

I actually thought this looked pretty good sized by your photos. Love the sepia look, it blends in as part of the wall!

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

Hi -- I'm Jan from Bobbypins Boardwalk. This is the first time I've linked to your party I think. I am anxious to see all of the wonderful projects and to review your blog further. I just signed up to follow you. I would love for you to visit my blog and if you are inspired, please follow me as well!

Kasey said...

great idea wendy!!

LuLu said...

oH Wendy you bring a smile to my face and oh my gosh coming out of my mouth!!! I'm finally catching up on my blog reading and sure enough you always have something soooo fantastic! I just LOVE this... I want to do this now!!! Your photo is just perfect!!!
have a wonderful weekend,
xo,
LuLu

Magic Brush said...

How have I never been here before? Found you from the Nester. Your newest follower!!! I am so excited about the WallHog thing. Going to see it right now!