5.17.2010

A really useful cabinet~

Happy Monday, dear readers! It's been a jampacked weekend here at the Shabby Nest...full of party after party...some for the kiddos...some for the whole family...but somehow, despite the craziness, I managed to get in some good old house cleaning.

And while I was cleaning, and putting away wonderful, clean-smelling, fluffy piles of freshly washed and folded towels, I thought it might be fun to share my makeshift linen closet with you all.

I have mentioned before that the one thing this house truly lacks is closet space. So when we moved in, I had to figure out what to do about a linen closet.

Enter our antique salvaged cabinet. We saved this baby from the Hubby's parents' shed which was being demolished. It has had many reincarnations since we saved it. It has been a coat closet, a pantry, a china cabinet, and now it serves as my linen closet.



During one of the cabinet's reincarnations, I had the hubby add the second shelf. It serves as a perfect spot for towels. But because I have yet to convince the hubby that he wants to build another shelf, I had to be a bit creative for the rest of the storage.


Bed linens are piled high in a pretty basket, while smaller linens like pillow cases, light blankets, and shower curtains are stacked in wire baskets rescued from a now-defunct refrigerator at our former house.

On the top shelf? Pretty blue toile boxes that hold special treasures...the blessing outfits of my three boys (the Princess' blessing dress is on display in her room.)



I just love this very useful cabinet...and its latest role as linen closet. Do you, my dear readers, have a particular piece of furniture that you use and reuse in many different ways?

Have a great Monday~

18 comments:

Becky Jean said...

So FUNctional :) I have a cute curbside drop leaf table without any leaves that has been a buffet table, a scrapbook table and now it holds our computer. If I ever get to that desk I found curbside the cute white table will become a potting bench in my back yard :) Thanks for sharing, you are very creative and organized. I love your blog.

Tricia Rose said...

My linen closet is fifteen inches wide - i think it was designed by a man...

Veryirie said...

This is a wonderful example of clever repurposing....very attractively done too!

Sue said...

I have a lovely antique narrow pine cabinet much the size of yours...it was a closet originally I believe as there was a shelf at the top and below that, hooks on the back. We added more shelves and it is now my spice cabinet. We added the shelves carefully so as not to damage the cupboard itself...I LOVE that cupboard.

bullie_mama said...

SO organized! I wish my linen closet looked this good! ;-)

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

i have a fabulous heywood-wakefield wicker table from the 20s that i have used (and moved!) in just about every place imaginable. i love it. currently, it's my husband's nightstand.

Riverside Simplicity said...

What a great piece and a great idea! Yes, your linen closet is very organized! Inspiration for me :)

the VG huis said...

I really love that you've hung a basket on the side! and I also love your display atop! I had a chuckle at your second comment b/c I think my linen closet was built by the same MAN!

~Stacey

Between You and Me said...

I have an old English pine chest that holds all of our homeschool material and supplies....we love it and wouldn't want to live without it if we didn't have to!

I love what you've done...I am curious where you keep this linen closet. Is it in a bathroom or a hallway?

Momma to Bug n' Bear said...

That is very cute! I love it! We actually have a lot of "space" in my house but nowhere to put large pieces of furniture as cute as that. It's quite a prediciment. Fortunately I don't need much more storage but I wish I had an excuse to have a charming piece of furniture such as yours.
-Desiree

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

The color is great! Aren't you glad you saved this piece and found a wonderful use for it? Janell

Lindsay said...

LOVE THIS! My house has a very small linen closet and I hate it put you inspired me to make the most with what you have! Thanks Wendy! :)

shari @ little blue deer said...

That is so clever! What a wonderful idea! The scent of freshly washed laundry, delicious!

Laura said...

I absolutely love the toile boxes on the top shelf. So cute!

Sandy@Life Began In A Garden said...

We have 3(count 'em, 3!) antique wardrobes that we are currently using for-
1- My craft/fabric/notions cabinet
2- Our home office supply stuff
3- A linen closet!

We love them and are always on the look out for another one!

Holly said...

Wow,...I have missed so many fun posts with all of my visitors and craziness lately! It was inspiring to catch up on all of it.

I hate how organized you are. ;);)

Elisabeth said...

Wendy-
Hey, I just wanted to ask you about an etsy order that I tried to do in your shop that I think didn't go through or something. I ordered one of those mini globes, and I thought I paid for it but I'm not sure if it didn't go through or not, so I was just wondering if you ever saw it come up? It was a couple of weeks ago and I'd kind of forgotten about it until a couple of days ago. Anyway, just let me know and if it didn't go through I can redo it, I just didn't want to pay twice if it actually did work the first time.

Thanks!

Elisabeth
beutfam@gmail.com

Heaven's Walk said...

Love your blog, Wendy! Great ideas! I purchased an old armoire at my friend's antique shop (such a great find!) and remade it into a TV cabinet. Check out my new blog (heavens-walk.blogspot.com) and see the before and after pics! :) ~Laurie