5.13.2010

Frugal Friday~

It appears that you all like the thumbnails on Frugal Friday as much as I do...so they shall remain! Thanks to everyone who weighed in the subject.


Yesterday I promised to share with you a fabulous art idea that I created for Mr. One's room. It's my version of Pop Art....created on Picnik.com. I have talked about my love of Picnik before. But for those of you who don't know what Picnik is...it's a photo editing website that is super user friendly, and a lot of what they have to offer is free of charge. In fact, the entire art piece I created used only Picnik's free actions...so if you like it, you can make one too at no charge!


Now let's get down to business, shall we? I started with a photo of Mr. One which I uploaded to the site.

1. Then under the "create" tab, I chose an action called "posterize"...the photo below is one of the princess that has been posterized...you can see how it makes the image look almost illustrated.




2. Then because I was going for a Warhol-esque pop art look, I needed to change the color....4 times. To accomplish this, I used the "duo tone" action. This lets you choose two colors for your image. For each of the four colors I wanted (red, yellow, green and blue) I choose two shades...one light and one dark. I also played around with the brightness and fade until I got the look I was going for.



3. Once you have the color combo you're looking for, save the photo. But so you don't have to go through the first few steps again, when Picnik asks if you want to close the image or continue editing, choose "continue editing" and go back to the duo-tone action. Play around with the next set of colors...then save. etc.











4. Once you've created all four colors, you're going to choose the collage option on the Picnik home page. Then choose a 4 part grid and set the border width to zero (so you don't have any lines between the 4 photos.)

5. Picnik will ask you to upload each photo and lets you drag it into place in the collage. Once your collage is complete click done. Then you can create effects on your collage if you're so inclined.

6. Once I finished my collage, I decided the colors were too bright, so I dulled them down by adding just a touch of black and white, and a touch of sepia. That's it!


And here's the finished product!! I'm so excited with how this turned out. It's being printed right now, so I'll have to show you the framed-and-on-the-wall version next week! Until then, go play around with some of your own images at Picnik...you'll love it!!



Now it's your turn...

You know "da rules"!


1. Link directly to your post, not just to your blog.
2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so others can enjoy the Frugal Goodness.
3. Comment, comment, comment. Show our participants "the love!"


20 comments:

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

I love that artwork! What a creative idea!
I accidentally linked up twice - thought it didn't work the first time. I don't see an "x" - can you delete one? Sorry about that.

Leanne said...

That looks so awesome. I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing and for hosting every week.

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

That is so cool! I have been wanting to buy Photoshop, and it is mucho money. I will go try this app out and see what I think. Thank you so much for sharing!

And thanks for hosting!

Mary said...

Hi, Thank you for telling me about Picnik, I'm going over there right after I post this. Your pictures turned out really cool! Have a great weekend, Mary :O)

Nicole @ BugaBoos said...

Love them!!! I too am obsessed with picnik, I use it to edit all of my photos, so many fun things you can do on there!

Stephanie Lynn said...

The art pieces are super cool. Can't wait to see them framed. The one of your little girl is so precious. Thanks for hosting ~ Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Red Door Home said...

What a great way to make some unique artwork. Looking forward to seeing the final result. Thanks for hosting.

The Starr Family said...

So creative! Thanks for hosting Wendy!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

So happy to join you today. Thanks! Susie~

AlMcLeary said...

Happy Friday, thanks for hosting
Al
http://almcleary.com/blog

Momma to Bug n' Bear said...

I love your new artwork! Great idea :-)
-Desiree

burlap+blue said...

Your artwork is seriously lovely!! Thanks for hosting...first time linking up, can't wait to see what everyone has been up to this week! Have a great weekend!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I love that pop art inspired piece! I've never tried piknik, but it looks amazing!

Thanks for hosting and have a great weekend!

Em @ Bunch of Scrap said...

Picnik is AWESOME - I have the year membership! You can do ALMOST everything Photoshop can do for a teeny tiny fraction of the price!

Cori said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE these photos! Isn't it amazing what we can do with our "snapshots" with all this technology? So creative and beautiful!

Thanks you for hosting Frugal Friday and giving us a chance to share our projects.

Cori
Starview Sonnet

barbara@hodge:podge said...

Love that idea. I used Picnik to create my header but never thought to do something like that! I might just have to make something for the wall too! I am following along with your tween boy room re-do as I have a tween boy as well and am re-doing his room without spending much! Currently I am re-doing his older sisters room. Just waiting for her to leave on her week camping trip so I can paint and put it all together!
Thanks for all you wonderful ideas!

Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue said...

That will be so cool when you get it framed. Thanks for another great party:)

Lori said...

thanks for sharing. I use picnik but dont usually venture out past the polaroid frame.

Angie said...

I LOVE Picnik. I started using it last month and I am obssessed with it! Your pop art version is very nice. Also, I am having a giveaway on my blog. Check it out at http://jsimplylive.blogspot.com/2010/05/100-followers-giveaway.html

Micah said...

I love the make your own sign by Three Ring Cottage! As well as the owl moon table by Primitive & Proper!! Keep up the great work!!!!