4.04.2010

So You Think You Can Decorate: Week 6 Challenge

Welcome to the week 6 challenge for So You Think You Can Decorate! This week's challenge is paint. For those of you who have been reading my blog for a while, you will recognize my boys' room from our previous house. I wanted to use it for this challenge, however, because it is such a great example of what paint can do.

Now on to the post...

Never underestimate the power of paint! It is one of my favorite decorating tools. This is the room that all three of my boys shared in our previous house. It was large, but it was long and narrow. I wanted to create the illusion of width, so I decided to use a wide horizontal stripe around the entire room.


Because I used a single wide stripe, the eye is drawn from side to side across the room making it seem wider.

The stripe was very easy to create. First I painted the blue base coat. After it was thoroughly dry, I measured and taped off the line with painter's tape. Here's a tip...seal the inside of painter's tape by painting the tape edges with a bit of the base coat color first. Then when you paint the stripe color it won't leak under the painter's tape...preventing messes when you remove the tape.



I chose to paint the stripe about 2/3 of the way up the wall...the perfect height for hanging artwork. (or towels...)



Because the stripe reminded me a little bit of a racing stripe...the pennant flags above the crib seemed perfect.



Stripes like this one can be used in just about any room to add visual interest...use subtler colors for a more sophisticated look, or even create a stripe with chalkboard or magnetic paint for a more whimsical approach!

But don't forget...paint is the decorator's best friend! It certainly made all the difference in this room!

The competitition is getting super stiff over at So You Think You Can Decorate...I could really use your vote...if you like this project head on over!! THANKS!

xoxo
Wendy

16 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Beautiful room Wendy! I've always loved the addition to stripes on those walls. Such a transformation from a big sea of drywall. Your theming around it is perfect!

Donna

Annesphamily said...

That room was beautiful for boys! I love how you tricked us to see that it was wider not narrow!

raggygirlvintage said...

Love how that horizontal stripe defines the space - great job!
Tracey

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

This looks great. I just convinced my parents to paint vertical stripes on their living room wall - I'm a bit stripe crazy at the moment. Beautiful boys room. I just used some paint power on an industrial project. Would love your opinion. Feel free to view it on my new blog.
Kristine
http://thepaintedhive.blogspot.com.

Holyoke Home said...

Hmmmm...never considered a horizontal stripe before.....hmmmmm.....

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I have always loved this room! I think painted stripes are fantastic, but I really love yours in here because it's just one really wide stripe with a HUGE decorating impact!!! Great inspiration, thanks :)!
Blessings,
Stacey

shari @ little blue deer said...

Very clever with the stripe, and I love the flags above the crib!

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Wow, love it! A bedroom for three boys?! Wow again. Great tip for how to get clean paint lines. I'm off to give you my vote. Janell

Amy said...

Love it!!

I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog and wanted to invite you to hop over if you'd like a chance to win the item of your choice (up to $35 value) from any of CSN's 200+ online stores :)

Amy

mel short said...

I love this room - your headboards inspired me to make my own! And the horizontal stripe is fantastic. It really widens the room. And it renews my commitment to avoid wearing clothes with horizontal stripes - these hips do not need any visual widening!

Laura said...

Love this room! Heading over to vote...
By the way - congrats for another feature of your mudroom on Odeedoh!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Awww Wendy, Your work just Wow's me everytime. Heading over to vote...good luck~

LuLu said...

I'm off to vote!! i loved your boys room... it's so classic and crisp with loads of personality!!
xo,
LuLu

Cheri said...

What a perfect entry for the "paint" subject. I love what you did in this room. That think stripe is so nice and I love how you placed it where you'd frame stuff. Great thinking!

Irene said...

That room is so lovely. Masculine, bust still soft.

Kolein said...

The stripe is such a great idea! But then again, you have so many of those!!!

It's little boy but also could be big boy too! It's beautiful.

You're such a risk taker when it comes to making changes in your home!

Personally, I'm working on that!