4.22.2010

Frugal Friday~

For today's Frugal Friday I wanted to sing the praises of Tar-jay. I know, I know, you're saying to yourself, "how is that different than any other day?" And okay, I'm with ya on that one. It's not that much different than any other day. But today I wanted to focus on my love of Target's PB knock offs.

In our move from the NorthEast to the Mountain West, my beloved numbered chairs didn't make it. (Please, let's have a moment of silence in remembrance of my sweet chairs.) So we've been making do using our long bench on one side of the kitchen table, and bar stools on the other. It works fine when it's just our little family, but when we have anyone else over...let's just say it's a bit awkward having guests sitting on bar stools at the table. Sooooo, I've been on the lookout for some chairs for the kitchen table. And I wanted something different than your everyday average dining chairs.

What I REALLY wanted were some tolix chairs. But it is impossible to find those babies for less than about $200 each. And, alas, $800 worth of dining chairs is just NOT in the budget right now. (But you can rest assured, I am going to start a tolix chair fund in the near future.)

In the meantime, I decided that it would be fun to have some contemporary looking one piece chairs. I searched on the www, and found them in all sorts of price ranges. And even in my latest PB teen catalog (yeah, I subscribe to all of the PB catalogs) they had what they called the "swoop" chair on sale for $79.99. It was just what I wanted. And then, I found the same "swoop" chair at Target on sale 2 for $69.99. Yesiree!! (okay, so in the catalog, they had plain colored "swoop" seats, but online all I could find is a picture of the polkadot version.)
photo via PBTeen
They were super easy to put together.



And they look simply fabulous at my kitchen table (and, according to Mr. One...they are much more comfortable than the bench.)


Hooray for Tar-jay and their PB knockoffs.

Now it's your turn.

You know "da rules"...

1. Please link directly to your post, knot just to your blog.
2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so others can enjoy the frugal goodness.
3. Comment, Comment, Comment...show our participants "the love"!







20 comments:

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas! said...

Your chair look great! I held a moment of silence for your number chairs. :)

Thanks for hosting.

Happy Friday to you.

~ Sarah @ Sugar Bananas!

Stephanie Lynn said...

Love the shape of the new chairs. {I adore the Tolix chairs too, but feel the same}

I love the new look! It's fabulous!

Hope you Have a great weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

Great chairs and Target is my "feel good" store...:) I found a great chair at Ikea, for around $50, very similar to your new chairs, I love the clean lines! Those tolix chairs def. need a fund...

The Little Red Shop said...

Cute! They do look comfy.

Happy new chairs! Have a beautiful weekend!

: )

Julie M.

Leanne said...

I love those chairs. Thanks for hosting again.

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

Oh, I think those are so cute, and they look wonderful at your table! I like the polka-dotted ones you showed, too! :) That made me smile about them being more comfortable than the bench, because our children never want to be the one sitting on the dining bench! (we had to create a "bonus" for sitting on it, which was to "bring a friend": i.e., a stuffed animal.) I too am looking for the right chairs, and dinner will be much happier when we ditch the bench! :) I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

I so love Tar-jay!! And your chairs look fabulous!
Thanks so much for hosting!

Red Door Home said...

I have seen these chairs and have been trying to find a use for them in my house. Love how they look around your table.

Julie said...

I bought those exact same chairs from Target about 6 months ago - they are super comfy. We've got three around a small table in our kitchen, and one in our office at our white parsons desk (total West Elm knock-off, but from Overstock, not Tar-jay). You gotta love getting something that looks more expensive than it really is!

Peggy said...

OH I so love those chairs you got from Target!! I am trying to convince my hubby that they are just what we need! Okay we do have chairs but I just love these and they would look great with the new table (don't have it yet, ha ha but am working on finding the affordable one! The PB farm table is too pricey for my budget...) And now a moment of silence for the completely awesome number chairs...

Carmen said...

Those chairs look fab at your table! I love them! They are still a little pricey for me, however...even the cheaper Target price. hehe

I am getting ready to link up! Yay!

inadvertent farmer said...

Love the chairs, they almost seem liquid in their shape! Kim

carolyn said...

Oh when is Target going to cross the border into Canada. I love those chairs and they would look perfect in my new kitchen. Off to check out all the other frugal people ...

Nicole R.J. said...

I second Carolyn... I want a Target! Your new chairs look great!

barbara@hodge:podge said...

I was wanting something similar from Ikea but 2 FOR $69!!! That is a steal- I may have to cross the border to Target STAT! Lucky me I only live 20 minutes from the lovely US of A **sigh** I did live in Virginia for 3 years and basically hung out at Target until my hubby threatened to cut access to the bank account!

I am so sorry for your loss (your chairs) ************* {moment of silence}

Barbara :)

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

These look fab!!! Once I figure out how to do this linky thing, I will try!! I'm a newbie blogger (a little over a month).
Found you from Life In Rehab.
I'm enjoying looking through your blog.

-heather

Petie said...

I've had my eye on those same chairs at Target! Are they comfy? I too am a lover of all things POTTERY BARN, just not the price.

New to the blog world and can't wait to check out more of your blog, as well as the Frugal Friday party.

sweet european dreams said...

I just can't believe how much Tar-jay has evolved over the years. It's now one of my favorite places to play - AND, it's kid friendly, which is always a bonus!

LuLu said...

I just love the modern addition to your table!! I've got to take a look next time i run by Tar jay!!!
happy weekend,
xo,
LuLu

The Prudent Homemaker said...

I appreciate your linky list. One blog led me to another, which led me to another, which led to an explanation of how to do a project I've been wanting to do. Now I can make myself just what I've been wanting!