4.02.2010

Frugal Friday~

Welcome to this week's edition of the Frugal Friday Linky Party! So glad you all could join me!

Perhaps you've seen this pretty skeleton key art that Restoration Hardware sells for $199. Love it....but definitely don't love the price.


Image from Restoration Hardware

I had similar frames that have been reincarnated a couple of times for my bedroom. If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you may remember this version.


Pretty, but definitely doesn't fit in my newly redone master bedroom.


So I simply tore off the scrapbook paper that I used to wrap the mattes. Then I pulled out a few skeleton keys (luckily I have been saving them in my stuff-that-I-plan-on-using-to-decorate-someday collection) and hot glued them onto some scraps of linen fabric. Popped them into the frames and VOILA! My own skeleton-key art for free.



And it looks very similar to theirs, don't ya think?

Times that by 3, and I figure I saved myself about $600 AND I got the perfect art to fill up the empty wall space on the left side of the bed.




Now I'd love to see what you all have been up to this week!
You know "da rules"...
1. Link directly to your post, not just to your blog.
2. Please link back to the Shabby Nest so others can enjoy the frugal goodness that is the Frugal Friday Linky Party.
3. Comment Comment Comment!
Enjoy~



19 comments:

Rachelle said...

LOL! That's too funny that you posted those keys! I did that project about a month ago! I went ahead and posted it to this party even though it isn't a recent project but I thought you'd get a kick out of it! Hope you don't mind! :) Love yours! So simple and easy.. Much better than the restoration version!

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

Great job! Looks just as good for a lot less! Thanks for hosting

Stephanie Lynn said...

I love the chunky-ness of your keys much much better and the linen is fabulous. They look great! What a savings too. Thanks for hosting. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Amy @ peppertowne.com said...

They look exactly like the 'real' ones, great job. Thanks for hosting this wonderful link party each week!
amy peppertowne.com

Leanne said...

I love your key art. I love that the keys are a little chunky. They look great and are perfect on that wall. BTW I love your curtains.

Sabrinaesse♥ said...

my best wishes for a Happy Easter!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Love the keys! That looks so great! Thanks for hosting!

paige said...

i love yours better
no lie
xo

paige said...

love yours better?
is that even proper grammar?
you know what i mean!

Jamie said...

I love skeleton keys. Yours look so nice framed! Great idea.

Tiffany said...

Love your version of the key art and it looks just right in that space in your bedroom! Beautiful.

Sugar Bananas said...

The keys look perfect behind the chair. Saved $600!?! Wow! Thanks for hosting :)

RedHead said...

Love how your pictures turned out! I have an old key that I have been saving to frame, but haven't found the perfect frame yet- you've inspired me to keep looking! Thanks for hosting the party!!

Andy Porter said...

They keys look gorgeous! Thanks for hosting!

VivatRegina said...

What a great decoration idea! Thanks for sharing! :D

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Those framed keys look GREAT!!! I love the curtain fabric peeking out in the pics too! :) Have a wonderful Easter!
Blessings,
Stacey

M.O.T.B said...

Love, it thank you for the inspiration!!! AS ALWAYS!

Life in Rehab said...

Your Frugal Friday link ups are the best! I love all the entries and ideas!

Andi's English Attic said...

Wha...? How on EARTH can they justify $199 for that picture? I mean, I admit there ARE pictures one might splash out that much for, but a key in a frame? Well done you. Not only have you got some fab art in your bedroom now, but in my book you've put that store to shame. Yay for thriftiness! xx