3.03.2010

A Very Barbie Birthday~

The Princess turned 7 this past Saturday.

WARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO EXPERIENCE PINK OVERLOAD!




When she first told me she wanted a Barbie Party we decided that a vintage Barbie theme would be perfect (well, I thought it would be perfect...she didn't really know what I meant by "vintage", but luckily, she trusted me.)



First things first, I made these cute invitations for her party. I posted about them here. They show off our color scheme or hot pink, black and white.



Now, incorporating the color black into a birthday party for a 7-year-old is not an easy feat....but I really lucked out with these fabulous dessert plates that I found at Tai-Pan Wholesale for $1.48 for 6...yes, you read that right $1.48 for 6. No brainer.


The rest of the table setting came together easily...one of my favorite touches were the bling-y rings I placed around the handle of each fork...the girls loved them, and they added a little extra sparkle to the table!


And, of course, the goodies of choice for this birthday party...CUPCAKES!! The Princess wanted chocolate cupcakes...which was fine by me, because after I added the strawberry frosting to the top...they fit right in with the color scheme.




A couple of cupcake tips:



1. Using two paper cups on each cupcake helps the cups keep their color (instead of getting all transparent and gooey looking).




2. Wait until you have the cupcakes on their serving pieces to add sprinkles...a few of the sprinkles always land on the cake plate or serving tray and make it look festive!




I adore these fun black & white candles I found at the grocery store...perfection!!





Just had to take another chance to use that cute Barbie Silhouette Logo...so I freehanded it onto our chalkboard...it really set off the dessert table!




Barbie is quite the accessory diva, so one of our activities included making these fun flower rings from hot pink pipe cleaner! They are so cute...but seriously large! Look how tiny the Princess' hand looks under that ring!! ;-) Martha has a great tutorial here.







For party favors, I found some translucent white take-out boxes and loaded them up with goodies....candy necklaces and rings, candy lipsticks, pink and white hard candies and Barbie fruit snacks of course! Then I added tags made from printable Barbie logos and big, hot pink-and-white polka dot bows! So cute!





Finally, here is proof that I have a very lame sense of humor. I added a Barbie to the top of my vintage scale! For some reason, I find the idea of Barbie on a scale to be hilarious! See, told you my sense of humor is lame. ;-)


Happy 7th Birthday to my sweet Princess!!

40 comments:

Kristi said...

What a wonderful birthday!!! LOve the decor and the cupcakes look DELICIOUS!! Glad I stopped over! :)

MMW said...

Fan. Tas. Tic.

LOVE the colour-scheme. Not at all "little-girly." Perfect for an up-and-coming-young-lady 7 year old.

April Mechelle said...

Loved the Barbie Birthday Party !!

Darcy said...

super cute! love it!

The Little Red Shop said...

What fun!

: )

Julie M.

Rachel said...

Love it!! What a great idea to go vintage with the Barbie theme!! Great job!

:)Rachel

Andi's English Attic said...

Oh Wow! What a brilliant party setting for a seven year old. Princess must have been so excited. Great ideas.
I still have my first Barbie from about 1966. As an adult I describe her as the best Christmas present I ever received - and I still have her. And still love her! xx

Marg said...

Love it, looks like it was a lot of fun!! I too still have my Barbie from the sixties, stashed away with some of her original couture!!!!!

melissa * 320 Sycamore said...

I'll bet she was in heaven...I love the details that you pay so much attention to and I laughed at the Barbie on the scale too :) Have a great day~

Mrs. S. said...

Wow!!! You did an amazing job and I am sure that your daughter and her friends LOVED it!

Kimberly said...

Great job! I love those plates!!

The Starr Family said...

Score on those plates! Wow... it looks so fun. Barbie knows how to have a good time!

Shelley in SC said...

Absolutely ADORABLE!! I have a 6 year-old Barbie-lover, and I can't imagine her delight at a party like this. Really nicely done!

Gayla said...

how. cute. makes me hope i have a little girl someday! very well done!!!

Laura said...

everything was super cute! i love the vintage touch & your attention to details is amazing! thanks for the cupcake tips too. only barbie would get on a scale with her shoes on!

LuLu said...

You my dear are BriLLiant!!!! Perfection!!! This is such a great party idea and i love the colors!!!
Thanks for the cupcake tip.... i'm doing cupcakes for our party too.
happy day!!
xo,
LuLu

Domestic Success said...

Love all that pink - those cupcakes look so yummy too!

Skip said...

I think Barbie on the scale is hilarious too! Love the cupcake tips!

Shannon said...

What a cute party! You always throw the best parties!

DREW'S MOM said...

Adorable! I'm sure your princess had a great time at the party! Lucky little lady to have such a thoughtful and crafty Mama =)

Kristin said...

What wonderful ideas! Makes me wish I had a daughter!! :)

VivatRegina said...

What a super cute idea!?!? That's awesome! My birthday is coming up in May, wanna come do it for me? lol. But really, thanks for an awesome post! :D

Kimberly said...

Such a great birthday party! You did an amazing job. Feel free to plan mine. :)

Becca said...

Great job! I love to get great party ideas. It looks elegant and kid-like all at the same time. You seem like a great mom.

lafamigliadesignllc said...

Loved all the pink and special touches, especially the bling! No overload here, as I am a mom of a teenage boy and knee deep in sports equipment and 'camo'!
Your accessory post was wonderful too! I'm having a fun giveaway...I hope you stop by. Monica
www.lafamigliadesignllc

Jess said...

Amazing Birthday Party! I had a barbie-themed birthday a few years ago-not quite as awesome to at 22 year old as a 7 year old-but it was my mother's sense of humor. *shrug* She should take notes from you!

Holly said...

Oh I just love it!! All of the vintage Barbie ROCKS,...and there is no such thing as pink overload. Well done!!:)

Carmen said...

So fabulous! Everything is so cute! The cupcakes look yummy. I'll have to try the chocolate cupcakes with strawberry frosting sometime.

debra said...

Very cute! Love Barbie on the scale.

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Oh, I get your humor. When I saw barbie sitting on the scale I LOL, asking before I read on, "did she do that on purpose?"

What a fabulous party, I bet your princess was THRILLED! Janell

Elissa said...

Great job! I love that you use creativity to plan children's birthday parties instead of relying on the typical store bought themed party supplies! You are so inspirational!

mrsatch said...

Just the other day, I was telling my mom: NO themed birthday parties for my children (I'm still waiting to have these children). But, THIS!?? I could SOOO do THIS!! How cute!

Kasey said...

looks like SO much fun!!
love all the pink.
Fin is 5 today...and needless to say it's low key.
xo

ApachesPrincess said...

Adorable birthday party! I love how you incorporated the barbie theme without it being cheap looking, instead it looks so well done! Great job!

Candy and Cake said...

Adorable and so modern! Love it!

Meredith said...

You have such an eye for detail! I'm amazed at all the great decoration ideas. I loved barbie on the scale too :)

(http://welcometoheardmont.com)

Amy said...

This is great. As a sociologically minded person, I think Barbie on the scale IS hilarious. Looks like she outweighs a kernel of popcorn--she'd better go on another diet.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

It turned out super cute! Love the ring craft, too!!

~ Sarah

Stephanie Cameron said...

Wow!! I love, love, love this!! This is exactly my idea of a great party. I am filing this one away for later! You might like the Pink Poodle Party I threw for my daughter's 4th birthday. http://plainjaneboutique.blogspot.com/2008/09/pink-poodle-in-paris-party.html

Brittanie said...

Love the ideas on here. My 6 year old just requested a Barbie party. What did you do for games? I would love suggestions!
Thanks
Britt @ mbdarrington@yahoo.com