I've had many emails inquiring about my cupcake recipe. So I have a confession to make. I am not a baker. No, I'm not. Although I love carb-rich goodies like home baked bread, I find baking to be rather time consuming and well (forgive me all of you who love to bake) tedious. Don't get me wrong, I really admire people who are good bakers. I think it is an art. Just not one that I'm particularly good at. So, that said...my cupcake recipe belongs to Betty Crocker. Yes, I admit it (and it may just ruin that great "Martha" reputation I have - ha ha) I use boxed cake mix.
So, that said...
Are you still there?
Do you even want to know what I have to say now?
Hey, at least I bake them, right? I could just buy them premade. But then what would be the fun in that?...I wouldn't get to pipe the frosting on top...
Okay, I'm off the subject.
Yesterday, being St. Patty's Day, my two youngest, AKA the Toddler Demolition Team (TDT), and I decided to make a special treat for our family to celebrate the wearin' o' the green.
I got the idea from my bloggy buddy Kristin...but hers are much prettier and stay in nice layers of color while mine blend together...could have something to do with the enthusiasm of my helpers. ;-)
They're super simple to make.
1. Just take a box of white or yellow cake mix (OR I guess you could make your own mix if you felt the need - ha ha)
2. Mix according to directions, then divide into four bowls.
3. Add food coloring to each bowl...red, yellow, green, blue (the TDT had a really good time with this part.) You could get creative and mix purple and orange colors in which case you'd need 6 bowls....but I'm pretty sure you figured that part out already. ;-)
4. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
5. Scoop a generous spoonful of each of the four colors into each cupcake cup.
6. Bake according to directions.
7. Add a whip cream cloud to the top of each cupcake. (yeah, I didn't get to pipe any frosting this time...sigh.) I like to top mine with a few sprinkles just for fun.
8. MUNCH OUT!!
Okay, so I admit they might not be the prettiest cupcakes I ever made, but that isn't really the point is it? Sometimes I have to let go of the "Miss Perfectionist" side of my personality and remember that it really is all about the time spent with and love for the kiddos...not about the "pretty factor". And my two little leprechaun helpers were so proud of themselves and their colorful creations, that I think these cupcakes are true works of art!!!
MckLinky goes up tonight at 12:00 EST for this weeks Frugal Friday Linky Party...come link up with your Frugal OCD (Obsessively Consumed with Decorating) inspiration for this week!!! Hope to see you all there...
Have a great day~