3.18.2010

Rainbow Cupcakes~

If you have been reading my blog long enough to have seen one of my kiddo's birthday parties, you probably know that I love cupcakes!!! They are my "go to" dessert for parties....mostly because I love to pipe a mound of frosting on top...it looks so pretty..



I've had many emails inquiring about my cupcake recipe. So I have a confession to make. I am not a baker. No, I'm not. Although I love carb-rich goodies like home baked bread, I find baking to be rather time consuming and well (forgive me all of you who love to bake) tedious. Don't get me wrong, I really admire people who are good bakers. I think it is an art. Just not one that I'm particularly good at. So, that said...my cupcake recipe belongs to Betty Crocker. Yes, I admit it (and it may just ruin that great "Martha" reputation I have - ha ha) I use boxed cake mix.


So, that said...

Are you still there?

Do you even want to know what I have to say now?

Hey, at least I bake them, right? I could just buy them premade. But then what would be the fun in that?...I wouldn't get to pipe the frosting on top...

Okay, I'm off the subject.


Yesterday, being St. Patty's Day, my two youngest, AKA the Toddler Demolition Team (TDT), and I decided to make a special treat for our family to celebrate the wearin' o' the green.

Rainbow Cupcakes!



I got the idea from my bloggy buddy Kristin...but hers are much prettier and stay in nice layers of color while mine blend together...could have something to do with the enthusiasm of my helpers. ;-)



They're super simple to make.


1. Just take a box of white or yellow cake mix (OR I guess you could make your own mix if you felt the need - ha ha)

2. Mix according to directions, then divide into four bowls.

3. Add food coloring to each bowl...red, yellow, green, blue (the TDT had a really good time with this part.) You could get creative and mix purple and orange colors in which case you'd need 6 bowls....but I'm pretty sure you figured that part out already. ;-)


4. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners.


5. Scoop a generous spoonful of each of the four colors into each cupcake cup.


6. Bake according to directions.



7. Add a whip cream cloud to the top of each cupcake. (yeah, I didn't get to pipe any frosting this time...sigh.) I like to top mine with a few sprinkles just for fun.



8. MUNCH OUT!!

Okay, so I admit they might not be the prettiest cupcakes I ever made, but that isn't really the point is it? Sometimes I have to let go of the "Miss Perfectionist" side of my personality and remember that it really is all about the time spent with and love for the kiddos...not about the "pretty factor". And my two little leprechaun helpers were so proud of themselves and their colorful creations, that I think these cupcakes are true works of art!!!

MckLinky goes up tonight at 12:00 EST for this weeks Frugal Friday Linky Party...come link up with your Frugal OCD (Obsessively Consumed with Decorating) inspiration for this week!!! Hope to see you all there...


Have a great day~

23 comments:

Laura PARING DOWN said...

CUTE and good times with the TDT (love that term...so descriptive!)

Haven's Mom said...

I have found that if you use Wilton frosting gel coloring, that the colors turn out brighter. Your frosting looks delicious! =)

1 Funky Woman said...

Oh, these look like fun! We are on Spring Break this week so I think Claire I will have to do some baking, yummo!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Thanks Haven's Mom....I actually used Wilton gel colors....I let the kid's do most of the coloring...so I took what I got.
:-)

Susan S. said...

Very cool and I don't think ANY less of you for using a cake mix. Do you have a Cake Doctor Cookbook? They are great. They start with boxed cake mixes and add in ingredients like sour cream, melted butter, another egg, etc and it really pumps up the mix and make them really decadent wonderful!

Julie Johnson said...

Cute! I did these for my daughter's last birthday, and they were a huge hit. So easy too!

sarigirl said...

Cake mixes are the best! The cupcakes I have made from scratch are always dry and crumbly, so I only do boxes anymore. And yes, I too have to let the perfectionist in me take a break and remind myself that this is for the kids! Thanks for the inspiration!

Maya said...

I love to look at cupcakes! These are just little edible pieces of art and self expression!!

farmhouse mama said...

Don't be hard on yourself for using a box! Why not? It's easy and tastes great! Here's a tip that I learned from a local cake decorator who uses boxed mixes for wedding cakes.....
Mix according to the box instructions only use 7up instead of water and throw in a scoop of vanilla ice cream while mixing. SERIOUSLY! You won't believe how great it tastes.

Love your blog.

Amanda said...

Love that cake plate on the bottom!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Ain't nothing wrong with using a box mix...that's what we do at my house! :) I think it's awesome that you & the littles had fun together in the kitchen. Yummy swirly cupcakes & sprinkles....Mmmmm!!! Sounds like a great time!

Blessings,
Stacey

Ria said...

I think they'd be fun for Easter too. Really you could color code for any holiday and have a fun treat. I love boxed cake mixes btw.

Us Four & No More said...

I must confess... I can't bake either. Countless times I've attempted to make bread that turns out looking like pancakes with the consistency of rubber. *hanging head in shame* Can I blame it on the yeast?

Yeah for cake mix!

Anna said...

Very sweet! I want to try with my nieces and nephews, I know they would love it!!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Your cupcakes look so fun. They would look lovely at Easter too. I love to bake especially and have made many great things. But for cake and cupcakes we buy the packages a dozen at a time when they go on sale for 99 cents a box. We have a very large extended family and there are always celebrations that require 2 boxes or more. Usually not a crumb left and not a single complaint.

Jennifer Rizzo sanctuary art said...

I am soooo coming to a party at your house!!!

Carmen said...

Fun! I have never made a homemade cake or cupcakes in my life. I like the boxed mixes. My secrets...use milk instead of water and bake at 25 degrees less.

Brayton Homestead Interiors said...

amazingly beautiful and from a box?

Karen

come on over and sign up for my blog giveaway!

raggygirlvintage said...

Oh no, your secret is out!! They look scrumptious, just like spring:-)
Tracey

Jenni said...

Yumm!

Laura said...

love your cupcakes! i just made rainbow cupcakes for the first time last week - my two little ones loved the colors! and the best part is that your two littlest kiddos got to help mom in the kitchen - good memories!

Damaris said...

I love this. I want to make ranbow cake for enzo's birthday.

ps. I LOVE how popular your blog is. love it!

AmandaRose said...

I love these, just made some myself! Check 'em out at http://dafoodieadventures.blogspot.com/ I wish I had thought about sprinkles though!

Great Blog!