2.03.2010

Words and Wire~

The kiddos have early release from school every day this week so we have long afternoons to fill. Yesterday we decided to spend time making Valentine's for the grandparents and cousins. Well, the kiddos made Valentine's. I took the opportunity to finally get to a project that has been on my to-do list ever since I saw it here.






So while the kiddos painted and glued, I shoved book pages onto a wreath form I created from a wire hanger. I have seen many of these sorts of wreaths made from burlap around blogland. And although I do love burlap...I'm a paper girl at heart. I couldn't resist making one with with book pages.





And it was so easy too!!! I grabbed an old book out of one of our unpacked boxes (yes, we still have many of those) in the basement and started ripping out pages. Then I just took a page at a time and folded it loosely into either thirds or fourths - I tried to mix it up to create movement and texture - and shoved it onto the hanger wreath form. It took about 100 sheets, but it went quickly. When I was done I just twisted the ends together and snipped off the excess with wire cutters. I did leave enough wire to create a hanger at the top. Easy-peasy!!





I don't know which I like more? My "well-read wreath" or this "words and wire" one. Wouldn't they both be great in a home office or library? I'm still up in the air where to put this one.


And on a totally unrelated subject...take a look who came to visit! It's Darth Toddler!!
Mr. Three was actually watching TV with this get-up on. How he could see, I don't know. But it sure makes me smile.




Have a great day~

22 comments:

creative gal said...

Neat idea!

Carrie said...

CUTE! I love it. Maybe for our bedroom????

I did a burlap heart for our front door last week. I'm planning on posting pictures tonight. I'm loving it. Simple, free and rustic...just like me. Well, not the free part. :)

Amy said...

I LOVE it!!! I've been wanting to make a book wreath, but I have been scared off by all of the steps involved in making the rolled page kind. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Vanessa said...

Cute, cute cute!!! Love the idea of using a hanger.

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love the wreath..but the last picture is even better!
sandy toe

Six in One Hand said...

I don't know what's cuter...the wreath or Darth!!!!

The wreath came out fantastic.
May the force continue to be with you.

Darlene said...

That book page wreath turned out great and Darth is too CUTE!!

sfretwell said...

LOVE the wreath! My son also wears masks at random times. It's really funny when you look in the backseat to find they're wearing one! :)

barbara@hodge:podge said...

Love the pic of Darth Toddler. I find that Star Wars makes its way into my posts too! My son posed with light sabre as I was trying to take a picture of the dresser I just finished painting! Boys!

Glitter & Bliss said...

I love it!!! What a great idea!! I also love your damask wrapping paper. So....cute!!

Holly said...

Mr. 3 is a hoot!! And,...what a cute craft! I am totally going to use that one.:):)

justtherightangle said...

I really like the new wreath, but I loved your well-read one! I made one for myself and blogged about it here:
http://justtherightangle.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/winter-decorating/

Looks like I'll have to try this one as well!
-Arielle

Shannon said...

Love that wreath! Very pretty!!

Kasey said...

great idea girl.
ok..need to chat because i'm driving thru slc in july;-)
xo

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I love the wreath~ cute idea with an old book.
I am thinking wrappping paper might be colorful too~

LuLu said...

Oh I want to make one! I have the perfect spot for a wreath just like this!!!
You are the BEST!!
xo,
LuLu

aimeewrites said...

Ooh, yay! As soon as I saw that burlap wreath, I wanted to try one with book pages. I'm so glad you did! Now I just have to find a wire hanger somewhere...

debra said...

Cute wreath.

Love the pic of Mr Three. :)

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

I am loving the things people are doing with old books! It is thrifty and fun!
Thanks for sharing - especially the pic of Darth Vader!

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

Oh, this is cute! :) Very creative and it looks wonderful! :)

Have a good night! :)

Anna See said...

love the wreath and that cute little toddler!

Kim said...

Oh I love this one the best! Such cool texture. I'm putting this in my Projects To Do file for sure. :o)