2.17.2010

Art on the Cheap (again)~

Look at these fabulous prints I just added to our main bathroom!

Where did I get them, you ask? At my local fabric store. (JoAnn's to be exact.)

Yes, these lovely pieces of art are actually pieces of fabric. I have to tell you all a little secret...I have a little bit of a fabric infatuation. I have been scouring fabric stores lately...our new home is in dire need of pillows, curtains, etc. etc. And although on this particular trip I had no luck finding any fabric for the things I need, this lovely bird print caught my eye. I immediately thought that it would look good on my bathroom walls...yes I did...and I bought me half a yard. Now, because this is a quilting fabric...it is very lightweight...I personally wouldn't use it for a pillow or for curtains. But it was perfect for framing...and it was on sale. For half a yard I only paid $3.50 or so.

I had the 11x14 frames already. (Here's a hint...when you find yourself at W*lmart, always check their cheap $5 frames...a lot of them look really cheap, but occasionally they have good looking frames. When they do, buy a few....then when you need a frame, you'll have one, and you won't break the bank. Just remember...be picky...only buy the frames that don't look like they cost $5...know what I mean?)

I just wrapped the fabric around the backing cardboard and taped it with blue painter's tape to the back (removes easily, leaves no residue). I popped the cardboard back in the frame and had me some pretty prints for less than $7 each including the frames!

Check out other Art on the Cheap ideas I blogged about here , here and here.

Have a great Wednesday~

22 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

This fabric art looks great. And you are right about the Wal-Mart frames, sometimes you find ones that look better than the rest for the same price. Very nice.

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Never thought to look at Walmart for frames...the framed fabric looks adorable! Janell

Twice Remembered said...

What a brilliant idea! Those are beautiful!

Marianne@Songbird said...

What a wonderful fabric! Can understand why you would leave that behind.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great idea, Wendy! I've done this, too, but don't know why I didn't think of it recently. I just painted a frame and I want to change out the picture, too. I'll have to check my fabric scraps!

Miss Obara said...

That fabric suits you perfectly. What a nice and inexpensive idea!

The Cottage Mama said...

Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how many pieces of framed fabric I have around my house. I too am a fabric-aholic - I just love it! Those prints are beautiful!!

Lindsay

Irene said...

It's amazing how easy turning fabric into art is.

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

They look great! I have a bit of a fabric infatuation too...and that's a bit of an understatement.

I have 2 fabric stores in mind for you to check out in Utah, but I can't think of the names or addresses (very helpful, I know). I'll look online and see if I can find them. I know one is kind of by the new Market Street on the East side (by the base of the Cottonwood canyons), and the other is in Draper. They had Amy Butler fabric there and other great stuff. Again, I'll see what I can find and email you addresses if I find them.

Ticking and Toile said...

Very cute idea! I love that fabric~ Thanks for sharing!

Shellagh

Hunter and Hailey's mom said...

I am not sure if I ever showed you my art I made from a website you had posted on your blog...I had been looking for some cheap unique art for my husbands bathroom. I found some duck prints and put them in some frames a lady at work gave to me!!!! so it was FREE ART!!! Love it & thanks for the information & inspiration! http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/ford5202006/concert020.jpg

Stacey said...

I love this idea! It is visually beautiful and inexpensive!

Big bang for the buck!
Stacey

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

What a creative idea! And look at how beautiful it looks in your bath. Thanks for sharing:)
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

Julie Johnson said...

Beautiful fabric and I love what you did with it!!
Julie

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

I keep my eye on the frame packs at Costco - they are always a good deal, but they mark them down every few months when they get new designs in. Yay for this fun project! Tweeted!

Amy said...

Love it! Nice fabric choice!

LuLu said...

lala lovely!!!
xo,
LuLu

Kolein said...

The frames look beautiful!

Miles said...

Wendy, the walls in your new home are gorgeous! What is up with that finish? Are they plaster? Dry wall compound and multiple colors of paint? Did you do them?
I just love all the peeks you've given us. Can you share more??
You are a terrific blogger, by the way! Totally an inspiration. Thank you!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi Miles!

Thanks for asking about the walls...they are actually Venetian Plaster. And no, I didn't do them. They were that way when I moved in. So I'm afraid I have no know-how to share about them. ;-)

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

I am the same way. I have used fabric to make art in frames in my house too. I love your idea. So easy and cheap. I used mine as the back ground for a necklace board and then a hair flower board thing for my neice's room. I don't have a link for the hair bow yet, but if you're interested, here is the link to my necklace board. I love it. noelic.blogspot.com/2009/08/fun-crafting.html I got the idea from a decorating magazine.

Susan said...

Love It!