2.11.2010

21 things your house needs (part 1)~

The last Ballard's catalog that I received had a list of the 21 things that your house needs according to Traditional Home.

It was fun to read the list and see how I stacked up...

(because 21 things is a lot to cover in one post...and I'm sure y'all wouldn't want to stick around and read it all....I'm going to divide it in half...)

1. a place for your drink...
I actually talked about my lack of a coffee table here. And I'm still looking.

2. a console...
They make a great point that consoles are extremely versatile and can go from being a sideboard to being an entertainment center. So far on this list, however, I'm 0 for 2, unless you count my fabulous green buffet.



3. a lamp to read by...
I've got this one covered. As I mentioned in this post, the hubby and I pretty much live with just ambient lighting...we've got a gazillion lamps!!


4. knock-your-socks-off art...
Got this one covered too. Helps to have an artist for a father-in-law and a photographer for a hubby.


5. a cushy chair...
Check.

6. party-friendly portables...
They're talking folding chairs, portable tables, etc. Nope, not so much. I kind of lack extra seating in general...but that is a problem I aim to fix in this new house.

7. grown-up dinners....
Here they're talking about using nice dishes. Hmmm...four kiddos, two of them being the toddler demolition team. Oh, I own nice dishes, but they definitely don't come out very often...yet.
8. a versatile bookshelf...
I just adore this bookshelf. It's from PB, and it's amazingly versatile. A perfect size, nice tall shelves that are deep as well. It sits in the Princess' room in this house, and looks just as great! Love it!


9. natural fibers...
If you've read my blog for very long at all, you'll know I'm a HUGE fan of linen, burlap, etc. So, yeah, I've got that one covered.

10. A welcoming entry table...
Check. This black table (I guess this really is a console) is what we used in our last house...the green buffet is now playing the role of entry table...I guess they're right about consoles being versatile, huh?

11. A pretty place for laundry...
Yes, oh yes, I had one in my last house. This house has the laundry in the dungeon basement. We'll see what I can do about making it a nice place to be. Gulp.

So there you have it...half of Traditional Home's 21 things you need in your home. Come back tomorrow for the other half!

Until then, have a great day~

39 comments:

The Faveros said...

Wow I seriously have one of the things on this list - the lamp!! I better get to work!!!

Holly Days Closet said...

That was fun I have 7 out of 11 don't know if thats good or bad.
Holly

Mrs. S. said...

I love your house...it is so gorgeous!

Jackie said...

I love your home!!

Tyler said...

Good idea! I need to think about what I have got and want:) Your house is gorgeous.

Lisa ~ A Cottage to Me said...

I've got 9 of the 11 you mentioned! I agree with the rest, your home is lovely!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Interesting to read their ideas - thanks for posting! And I love the glimpses of your home - you have great taste.

rachel @ perfectly imperfect said...

fun post! i'm not scoring well, but i think i'll live!

about 4 years ago, country home (or living... can't remember) had an article about dressing up a basement laundry. it was by Meredith Ladik, if that helps. we followed it to a T (with less expensive materials) and LOVED our basement laundry/work area! made it beautiful, light & calm. now we have a laundry nook in our mudroom, and i'm planning to copy YOURS! saving up for the materials right now! i'll let you know how it turns out! : )

have a great day,
rachel

Amanda Hervey said...

I absolutely love your lamp! Did you make the shade?

Kristi said...

Just to let you know you can learn to build #8 (the potterybarn bookcase) at http://knockoffwood.blogspot.com/
She is amazing and offers free plans to make "Knock Off" furniture.

I have a whole long list of projects to build lol
Love the list, some things are just not practical in a small house though...like the entry table...we just don't have any walls next to our entry that dont' have a door or a cabinet (kitchen). lol!

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

I'm feeling better now...I have almost all of the things on this list. We'll see how I fare with the remainder.

Mandi said...

WOW that laundry room really calls to me. (And goodness knows laundry NEVER calls to me, ha ha.) A room like that would certainly make that particular chore a lot more enjoyable.

Alyssa said...

I can only dream of my house ever looking that gorgeous.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

This is a great list! :) Can't wait to see the rest of it. :)

Just Call Me Birdie said...

Oh that pretty laundry room is so nice! My washer/dryer are in a closet, but now the wheels are turning for painting the inside of the closet, putting in nicer shelves etc. Great post! Looking forward to the other half of the list :)

melissa * 320 Sycamore said...

LOVE the first 11, can't wait for the next! Praying for you as you face everything...
Love you,
Melissa

Andi's English Attic said...

I love the laundry room. I recently decorated mine but it still looks like a junk room. Shall have to get it spruced up now I've seen your pic. xx

Maman Tattoo said...

I wish I had such a nice laundry room!
and I don't have a console... I'm dying for one!!

I'm pretty much covered for the other stuff... Maybe not the welcoming entry. Ok, definitly not the welcoming entry...

this blessed nest said...

love your list. if only i could have a laundry room miraculously appear!!! mine is in the basement. ugh. but everything else is just lovely. i especially love the "grown up dinners" i wish for those too. but alas, that time will come when my little ones are older. ;)

following you on twitter now!

The Cottage Mama said...

Oh, my laundry is in the "dungeon" too - I long for a nice laundry space! But I guess in my 1930's cottage, that is not going to happen. I love all of your ideas - you have such great style!

Lindsay

{ L } said...

What a fun post to read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And smart BD...now I need to go shopping. :-o

Anna See said...

Beautiful photos!!!

Not sure how I'm stacking up yet.

Katie said...

I'm in AWE of your home, especially your Laundry Room, does it really always look like that!!????? I always have mismatched socks thrown about the top of the dryer, couldn't imagine a lamp & a tray there! Simply Beautiful!

Deb said...

We have 3 main rules at our house: A comfy chair, table and lamp. The others are great too.
Love your house!

Shelley in SC said...

This is really fun! It's got me checking around my house . . . wondering how we stack up. Yikes!

a little bit biased said...

Is that Ballard Design? I LOVE that catalog! Your pictures were great. You're such an amazing decorator. Thanks for inspiring me!

Pink Peacock Designs said...

Yup! I am pretty sure I need all of these things in my house still lol... Hopefully soon! It's coming along!

Melissa said...

I soooo need your laundry room! Mine is a laundry/canned goods pantry....somehow I can't get it to look remotely inviting!

MARY said...

Oh, how fun!
But sadly, I only have #'s 1 and 10!
My laundry room sucks, for lack of a better term.
And I don't even own the art that I've done. It's at my mom's house:(
I need some stuff, dude!

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

This was fun! I can't wait to see the other half of the list!

Aubrey said...

Can I just come do my laundry in that relaxing laundry room of yours??

Kristi said...

Love the list, I saw it in Ballard too, not sure how I did, I have to do a recount!! Your home is beautiful!!

Bridgit said...

Love it all ...Simplify laundry room sign ...where did you get it? bggianakos@yahoo.com

Sandy said...

Always love my visits here ... Happy V Day weekend!

Christi said...

Oh, LOVE that bookshelf! I'm looking for one like that for our family room.

This is an interesting post. I'll have to see how I stack up!

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Great list, my house is definitely missing the "a pretty place to do laundry" item!! Janell

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I don't meet about three of these. Love your reading corner; that looks like a comfy place to sit and enjoy a book!

G. said...

I'm missing the natural fabrics, a pretty space for the laundry, a welcoming entry Table, a cushy chair, and nice dishes. :) I thought this list would be frivolous but, it's really not. All of these things are useful. We have an apartment so, we really don't have room for an entry table or a cushy chair but, that's OK with me. I enjoy reading your blog. I don't always comment but, I'm reading often! :)

Amy Vanus said...

Hi I found your blog because Stephanie ("so you think you can decorate") is my cousin (well we are married to cousins) I love your style and I was wondering where you got that green buffet. I have the exact same one, but it had been stained yellow. I got mine at an antique shop. It is interesting we have/found the same pieces!