1.08.2010

Does Your House Talk to You?~

Does your house talk to you? Mine does. Okay, before you go thinking that I might need a little therapy, I'm not hearing voices. But when I walk into a house, it has a way of telling me how it should be decorated. If you love decorating as much as I do, you know what I'm talking about. Houses just have a certain feeling to them. And my new nest is no exception.

Now, before I share with you all the "language" that my new home is speaking, let me define my own personal style for you. After taking a quiz over at Sproost, I decided to call my style Rustic French Beach Cottage, although I have a decidedly urban flare especially in my artwork choices. You all get the picture. I am drawn to pale tonal palettes. Textures such as beadboard and burlap. Old, timeworn pieces. These are the things that make my heart go pit-a-pat.



My new nest speaks Italian....it has a definite Tuscan flare to it. The colors are warm, and definitely richer than my favored pale palette. And since (as I have mentioned before) it is a rental (and a beautifully renovated one at that), I can't change these things. And I think that is good. It will force me to explore a different side of my style. I will have the chance to use my existing pieces in a new way.
This is what my kitchen table looks like at the moment...I actually love this photo...it looks like a still life painting to me. Notice how the Venetian plaster on the wall speaks to the burlap on my table runner. The dark jug adds just the right contrast to my white table, white wire tray and white (yes they're fake) flowers. Same stuff...new way of combining things...and although I doubt this will be the final design for this spot...I like it...and it gets my creative juices flowing...


Okay, so now I'm going to tell you all something that may shock you. A house-hunting trip was not in our budget, so we rented this house without seeing it in person. Yes, little old type-A me, signed a contract after only seeing photos (and having the hubby's sister who lives in the area visit the house and give it the thumbs up.) Why do I tell you all this? Because see that faucet above? The one that looks like an old water pump, but with an urban twist? That faucet alone pretty much sold me on the house. It's true.


And here is a detail of the backsplash tiles in the kitchen. You can really get a feeling of the warm palette by looking at these. They are lovely...and slightly luminescent...which looks fabulous when the under-cabinet lighting is turned on. A far cry from the cottage-white kitchen in my last house...but oh, the possibilities!
This detail from the Princess' bedroom is the one nod to cottage style in this house. My beloved beadboard. The lime green is not necessarily a color I would have chosen myself, but it is bright and cheery...and will look very sophisticated once my decorating plans start to take shape.
So stay tuned, dear readers! I can't wait to take you all on this little journey as we watch my style evolve into something new and exciting!
Have a great day~
xoxo Wendy

26 comments:

Angie said...

You have totally peeked my curiosity and I can't wait to see what all you do in this house!

Angie said...

I think it's supposed to be piqued my curiosity, not peeked. I'll have to look that one up because I don't want to look dumb!

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

Warm post, loved reading it.

Leanne said...

That first picture could be a painting. I love it and I agree you have to go with the feel of the home or it will never feel right to you. I can't wait to see what you do.

Annika said...

Can't wait to see more photos of your new home!
Did you already check out the new potterybarn dishes? Birds' nests, you'll love them!
Annika

Wendy said...

Wendy, I love your pictures! The one of the table does look like a painting. You are going to have so much fun and we are all very anxious to see how you decorate! I know it is going to be awesome!
Wendy

Laura said...

I love the little peeks into your new house. As a fellow type A personality, I give you a lot of credit for not seeing the house first! I think you have a wonderfully open attitude to your new adventures & I can't wait to see what you do with your new nest!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

My house talks to me - it says "clean me up, clean me up!"
I know what you mean - I have an old, historic home, and I cannot just throw ultra-modern "faddish" items around on a whim - this house needs certain 'things.' However - I cannot stand froo-froo victorian - and am able to avoid that.
Your new house looks beautiful! Hope you are enjoying it!
-Trish

vintage girl at heart said...

How exciting.. love that faucet!!!!
Cannot wait to see how you put your own touch on your new Nest!!

Victoria said...

I would be sold after looking at the faucet too! :) I am looking forward to seeing what you will do with the house and how you will make it your own without changing major things!

Miss Obara said...

Loved reading this post.I've adored your 'style' if you will in your previous posts...as it was mine too at one time. Until, we moved into a much darker and faux wall covered Tuscan style newer home! (no bead board though like our last home) Can't wait to see what you come up with, because my walls are speaking to me also and they are saying we hate all of the stuff you already have...time to start over! haha. Seriously, it has stumped me beyond belief...I love it, but it's not loving me!
Good luck and I will be waiting....to see what you come up with!

Shannon said...

So fun! Our first house was totally different from our current one. I had to totally change how I decorated too. It was fun and challenging at the same time!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I totally think a house speaks to you - I have to live in it for awhile before I can hear it, though!

Kristin said...

oh...drool...i would have been sold as soon as seeing that slate backsplash...oh i *love* slate....i can't wait to see what you come up with...it sound so fun to start fresh..

I'm just a girl. said...

my house says: you have a million projects going on, finish one already! You have the supplies now actually find the time to DO something constructive with it.

Seriously my house would pack up and move without me if it could.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I can't wait to see how your new house "speaks" to you! And yes, I know exactly what you mean about walking into a house and knowing exactly what to do, how to arrange things, etc. It doesn't happen all the time to me, or even in every house I've lived in (not the one I'm in now, I am learning!) but still...it's great when it does!
Carrie

58 Cherries said...

Oh yes, ours talks to us all the time. (And we also have a ghost, no kidding around, I swear).

Unfortunately my house, like my family, changes its mind on me all the time, but it does speak. It's One hundred and four years old and it has quite a bit of personality. It has needed soooo much fixing up, but I think we've made fantastic improvements, especiallly by adding built in library shelves that still hold the character and mimic the original moldings of the house (oh, such beautiful woodwork they just don't do anymore) and the shelves look like they were ALWAYS there - I think this house was just waiting for us to come and fix it up. But as old and big as it is there are many projects to finish and many are half done and abandoned as a new one crops up and needs attention so I'm actually jealous you have a rental with Tuscan walls which I'd love to do to the living room, but also because you don't need to fix it up like we have to. Enjoy feeling free to leave it as it is. Beautiful pics!!!

debra said...

Can't wait to see more! I can see why the faucet sold you on the place. I love it!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I'll be looking forward to seeing more. I adore beadboard. The venetian plaster looks interesting. I have a friend who did that to her walls and I love it. How fun to have a new place to add your voice and flair to.

LuLu said...

Are you ready for a visitor?!! I would have been sold on renting/owning too! the faucet is so ME!!! and I'll give you a hint on my daughters room.... similar to Princess room.... {they requested a shade of green} so when i saw your picture i personally loved it!
have fun listening to your home... mine speaks to me too!
xo,
LuLu

Carmen said...

Ooh now I'm very interested. Everything looks so nice.

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Love this post. It's so true about getting to know your house. What I've done with this house is so different from my old house. This is a "warm" house, and it makes a big difference in how I've approached things. The look is still "me", just a different version of me.

Enjoy your new decorating journey!

Mikaela_D said...

I'm pretty excited for you, and can't wait to see what you do with the place. I only became a follower of your blog just before you moved, so I feel like I get to follow your new journey from the start this time =)

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

Hi Wendy,
It will be fun to see what you do with your new place! :) I knew you were moving but didn't know you were already in your new home!

And about houses talking to you, I completely agree! People always look at me a little funny when I say this! It's true though~ homes like certain colors on the walls and specific styles, and if you put the wrong color in the house, it just won't work! :)

I hope you are had a fantastic weekend! :)

MamaBug said...

The little peeks look great! I can't wait to see it in person. You'll have to give me a holler when you get settled and we'll come for a visit. :)

julie said...

ooohhh! i cant wait to see what you do with the new spaces! and the picture of your table i thought was from a magazine! great job!