11.19.2009

A Thankful Tree and A Project Teaser~

Thanksgiving is one of my very favorite holidays. And I feel like it is often overlooked. I want my children to know the meaning behind the turkey and mashed potatoes. I want them to celebrate with a grateful heart. So today I wanted to share with you all a fun tradition that puts the focus on gratitude....the Thankful Tree.




Our family takes an evening at the beginning of the month of November to talk about what it means to be thankful. Then we write some of the things we are grateful for on leaves cut from cardstock and hang them from a "tree" made of branches collected in our backyard. (These pics are from last year, however, since our house is in the staged-to-sell mode.)


Just thought I'd share with you a couple of the things my little ones are thankful for...


Oh, yes, Mr. Two and Mr. Three are very grateful for Spongebob (and, to be honest, during the "witching" hour around dinner time, I am very grateful for Spongebob as well!)



Mr. One is grateful for hot cocoa on snowy days. And yes, I must admit, that is one thing I am very grateful for as well. Well, as long as I'm being honest, I'm grateful for hot chocolate pretty much any day. ;-)




And because I promised a project teaser...here's a photo of the "lovely" closet in our library. Any guesses what this is going to become? Hint: my pretty new pinboards will find a home here. I'll show you all next week.



Don't forget, tomorrow is the Frugal Friday Linky Party here at the Shabby Nest. For all of you night owls, MckLinky will go up tonight at 12:01 am EST. Can't wait to see what you all have up your sleeves this time!



Have a great Thursday~

18 comments:

arkie said...

I am thankful for families who teach their children to be thankful! Lovely post!

Rhonda said...

Hi Wendy,
I just cut down from our backyard pine tree yesterday or "thankful tree" and hope to have it up in the next day or so. I was wondering what to use to write on, and I just love your "leaves" - thank you!

alittlefrenchloven said...

I love your idea! I will truley have to start one with my family. My kids are off of school next week, so that will give me plenty of time to find a "tree" and cut some leaves for them. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

Rocio @ CasaHaus said...

That is a lovely idea, an excellent way to teach kids the meaning of being thankful. Thanks for sharing!

{ L } said...

What beautiful lessons you're teaching your children with this. It is an excellent idea! Also, I too, love Thanksgiving and wish it could get highlighted a bit more! I just posted my Thanksgiving table and kid's table on my blog. I love this time of the year to celebrate the bounty we enjoy!

Adrianna said...

I've never seen one of these. I think I may do one with the kiddies tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration. Which in turn I am thankful for...ha!

Laura said...

I'm on the parents' committe to help plan the Thanksgiving celebration for my son's pre-K class next week. We're having the kids make these thankful trees - small pots, stones, branches from the yard & paper leaves. I'm so glad we're teaching them at a young age what this holiday is truly about.
Can't wait to see your closet!

Astrid said...

Your thankful tree is lovely!

I can't wait to see what you turn that closet in to. A tiny office maybe?

Kasey said...

cute idea!!
xo

melissa * 320 Sycamore said...

I bet your kids love this~such a great idea! Can't wait to see your finished project..

Tiffany said...

Great idea! I love it.

Oh, and I cannot wait to see what you do with that closet. No doubt that it will be fabulous for sure!

Christy said...

Love it! We just made a thankful tree a few days ago! It's such a wonderful idea. My kids really get into it.

Zuzu said...

This is a wonderful idea and family tradition! Love the Spongebob leaf! :)

Have a beautiful day,
Zuzu

paige said...

such a great idea!!

Sherri @ Design2Shine said...

I can't guess but can't wait to see it! Love the Thankful Tree. Great reminder for us all to remember each day the simple things for which we are thankful.

Molly @ A Bit O' Shine said...

What sweeties. I just finished my cup of peppermint cocoa for which I was quite thankful! :)

Pretty Organizer said...

Me thinks me sees a home office in the works! Sigh... you go girl. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Wendy said...

I found you through Sanctuary Art at Home. This is silly, but there are not many Wendy's in the world and saw your post...so I thought I needed to stop in and say Hi!

So lucky that I did. I am enjoying your posts! I would agree, your blog is like a great book! Excited to become a follower.

Have a great day!
Wendy