11.28.2009

My Home Office - The Built-in Desk~

Ever since we moved into the house 2 1/2 years ago, I have wanted to turn this strange closet in our library into a useful built-in desk. Well, as you may remember, our house is on the market, and since not everyone wants a built-in desk, we had to modify our original plan just a bit.


As I showed you in the slideshow yesterday, after removing the doors to the closet, we finished the interior and the Hubby built a shelf. We had planned on building the desk portion as well, but opted instead to use a fabulous $10 yard sale table that we found a couple of years back which just happens to fit perfectly in the closet. (Yes, that was just good fortune!)

I skirted the bottom to hide all my computer paraphenalia, because as you can see in the pictures, my computer is ancient-of-days and is about to wheeze it's last wheeze. But it still does the job, so I can't complain (or replace it just yet.)



To make the space my own, I added my pretty pinboards, a few of our vintage cameras (turns out HUGE computer monitors make good display shelves), some cute white baskets with little chalkboard tags, and bits of this and that to make me smile. If we were planning on staying in the house, I would add a permanent light fixture of some sort, but for now, the light clip does the trick - even if the cord is a little unsightly.
Some of you may know that I work from home as a part-time editorial assistant , so between that and blogging, I spend a lot of hours sitting in front of the computer. Now it makes me smile everytime I sit down. And the moral of this story is...persistence definitely pays off!

Just love my vintage printing block "H" and my cute damask stamp (found in the Dollar Spot at Tar-jay!)
I love the texture of the folded book, the twine and the starfish on linen. mmmmmmm.




I love this vignette...a photo of me and the l'il sis, a rubberband ball that the kiddos helped me make out of rubberbands my mother sent home with us this summer, and the hubby's birthday pixie.
A few of our vintage cameras.



And the winner of the Single Stone Studios $40 gift certificate is Mary Ellen (Megardengal) from Mary's Meanderings. Congratulations! Drop me an email and we'll get you set up!
Have a great day~

30 comments:

The Whispering Creek House said...

WOW this is cute! And so perfect for you! Enjoy!

Laura said...

What a beautiful spot! You have such an amazing eye - it's perfect!

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Well done!!

Tricia Anne said...

I love the little desk area!

Kasey Hunt said...

What a great job on the decor!! Nice and cozy.

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Such a cute spot! You did great
*hugs*deb

Kasey said...

perfect as usual.
I hope you don't totally delete my post that i just sent you.
xo

julie said...

i love it wendy! great job! you and your hubby are a great team!

vintage girl at heart said...

Love it!!! Such a cozy corner!!!

cottagewish said...

Very lovely. Show us how you beefed up that shelf. I love it.

Molly @ A Bit O' Shine said...

It looks so calm and beautiful!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

I just love this!!

Heidi said...

Love it! Where do you find the mini chalkboards?

Sharon said...

Love it ... if you got to work, it might as well be pretty :-)

Charmingdesigns said...

I've been following your blog for quite some time. I just love it. I just want you to know how much I love this project. I LOVE the cameras!!! Good job

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

Wendy,
It is amazing! I LOVE it, down to the last detail you added! :) Ever since I saw your first closet makeover (the one featured in the magazine) I have been DYING to do something like this with a closet...I did turn part of our walk in closet into my craft area this past spring, but now I'm thinking about the smaller closets in our home! Hum...

I do hope your Thanksgiving was a truly happy one and that you're having a great weekend! :)

Holyoke Home said...

If I only had a shallow closet! Instead, mine are long and lean: impossible to find anything in there!

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

I just got home late last night from a trip To Arizona and found that I had won your giveaway!! I am so excited! It was funny because I was actually reading about your little corner desk and you mentioned the slide show so went to see your closet. I was thinking something was wrong with the slides as it quit then read your explanation of it was supposed too!! Whew- sigh of relief that it was ok- went back to the current post and saw my name!!! How fun!!! Thank you so very much!

blessings
mary

Wendy said...

Wendy,
You do need a place that makes you smile, especially when you work from home! I also work from home!!Gosh...your desk makes me smile!! It looks great! Thanks for sharing all the little details that makes it a special place! It looks great!
Wendy :)

Kate Starr said...

Lovely, ever so lovely!

Tiffany said...

You have wowed me again, Wendy! I LOVE it! It looks fabulous. All of the little detaisl are just great. Love the ball of twine, how perfect. Also, the pinboards look perfect in the space. The vintage cameras are awesome. It's all just fabulous! Nice job! I want to buy your house as is please! : )

Holly said...

Oh I just love it, love it, love it!!! You make me all home sick too! We need more opportunities to take pictures,...TOGETHER!

Well Done!!!

Sandy said...

Hi just stopping by. Love the closet office!

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

What a great space!

PamperingBeki said...

What a great space, Wendy!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Looks great,neat and crisp!
Love it!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a great use of space! And you make it look so pretty and functional. I bet that space will be used & enjoyed often. You should post this to my Furniture Feature Firday link party. (Sorry for the plug!) :)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I love it.....my computer desk area is in a closet too....It's in the re-do phase right now... :-)

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Amber said...

It turned out so cute! I love having a space for different tasks and this space is functional and pretty!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Heidi...I hope you'll check back...I got the little chalkboards at JoAnn's in a pack of 3 for 1.49 or something like that. :-)