10.28.2009

Last Minute Halloween Project~

I remember as a child loving the fact that I had a dedicated Trick-or-Treat bag to use when I canvassed the neighborhood on All Hallow's Eve in search of sugary treasures. Now, I have nothing against those plastic pumpkins that so many tiny goblins use to stash their goodies. In fact, that's what my kiddos have used in the past. But this year, I thought it would be nice to give them their own Trick-or-Treat bags.

Three of my four kiddos were sick yesterday, so I thought this might be a good project to entertain them, since they had to do little more than sit around and watch mom. The Princess did help me by playing "Vanna" and displaying our supplies for you.


First thing needed...designs to put on the bags. I found the three sweet vintage images on The Graphics Fairy blog (so many great images there)! Mr. One wanted something more spooky, so we found a free skull and crossbones clip art to use for his bag.


Second...you will need to get some photo transfer paper. My favorite brand (because it works the best of all the brands I've tried - hands down) is Avery. Simply print the images on the transfer paper with your ink jet printer. Just remember if your image has text on it, you will need to reverse the image first. (notice the "Trick or Treat" graphic third from the left.)

Finally, you will need a canvas tote bag. These can be purchased inexpensively at your local craft store.
Then just follow the instructions you find on the transfer paper box. That's it. Easy peasy.


The fun thing about this project is that the bags are one of a kind! And with the different designs for each kiddo, there won't be any fighting over whose candy is whose. Hooray for that !


Have a great Wednesday~

37 comments:

Rachelle said...

Love them. They look adorable and so vintage!

:)

Rachelle

SarahAnne said...

Love it!

debra said...

Those are so cute! I was just thinking how that little 99 Cent plastic pumpkin was the best money I've ever spent since my daughter has used it since she was 2! But these bags are much cuter. Thanks for the idea. I hope I can complete this before Saturday...

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Love the prints you found! So cute - my kids LOVE their plastic pumpkins.

TheEclecticElement said...

Oh wow! That's a great idea-Those turned out incredible :D
I bet they will get a lot of compliments on their bags!

MamaBug said...

Adorable! Thanks for the cool link. :D

Joanne Kennedy said...

Those are so cute. I love this idea and am going to make a bag for my great niece. Each year it can match her costume. This year she is a witch so I'll look for a great photo.

Thanks.
Joanne

abeachcottage.com said...

oooh! love these, the vintage touches with the cream, mmmm mmm

great inspiration

S
x

Room to Inspire said...

These are simply adorable. I will be adding the transfer paper to my list!

Chelsea

2sisters said...

Thanks for the tip on the transfer paper....now I wonder, do I have time.....
teri @ acraftyclan

Mrs. S. said...

Those are too cute!

Astrid said...

Awesome idea! Here's a silly question...how do you reverse the image?

glor said...

Love these bags! This is something that I have to do! Thanks for sharing.

Pam said...

Great project. Love the images.

Our really empty nest said...

Love them! Hope they fill em up this year! Please tell me where you get photo transfer paper? Wal-Mart, offic supply, I have never looked for it. Thank you, and have a great Halloween, Sue

Cindy said...

Great idea...if only my color printer hadn't died. *sigh* Maybe next year!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi guys! Two answers...

Astrid asked how to reverse an image...I know there are really technical ways to do this...I am NOT technical. So I just use microsoft paint. Since these images act just like photos it's really easy to do. Open the image in Microsoft Paint. Then under "Image" choose "Flip/Rotate". The default option is "horizontal". That's what you want. VOILA! It's reversed.

And Our Really Empty Nest...you can buy Avery brand at Walmart or Staples. I think it's slightly less expensive at Walmart.

Hope this helps!
Wendy

Carmen said...

Very cute! What a great idea! I just bought cheapy bags at Dollar General. They'll only last this year so maybe next year, I will make some.

Laura said...

cute bags! love the vintage feel!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

So cute! Love the images you used! Great job!
BOO!!!!!

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing! What cool bags! I will have to check that out. My little one is sick too! I hope he is well for Halloween.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love this project! I would love to try to dress up some of my plain bags! Thanks for the ideas!

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Thanks for the tip on the website...these bags are just too adorable. Fun project with the kids! Janell

Diana said...

Thank you for the cute and simple idea.

Janelle said...

ADORABLE. Makes me wish I could make one and go trick-or-treating myself!

Zuzu said...

Oh, these are the best! Thanks for sharing the 'How To' too!

:)
Zuzu

Tracy is ... Loving Pretty Things said...

sooooo in love with these!!! so fabulous.

Am off to the craft store today to do this project. AND - to get the upholstery tacks for the monogram pumpkin!

Love your brain.

xoxo

LuLu said...

You are so much fun. I could just spend the day learning all your crafty projects,
these are sooo cute,
xo,
LuLu

Barbara said...

Great idea - thanks. I have been dying to try photo transfer paper after being inspired by all your projects!
Thanks for the info about reversing an image - being technologically inept I wouldn't of figured it out on my own!

{ L } said...

How do you ALWAYS have these incredible ideas?!!!! You are simply amazing. :) I'm going to try this! Thanks so much!

mary said...

They turned out great! I too love the vintage look of some of them!

Kasey said...

so much fun...
if only i had more time;-)
xo

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

So glad to see this idea! I will have to check out the blog you mentioned...I love the vintage designs you chose! SO cute!!
Carrie

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Fabulous idea Wendy! Sadly, my kids are getting a little old for trick or treating, but I'll save this for my future file!

Karen- The Graphics Fairy said...

Hi Wendy,
These are darling!! I'm so glad you were able to find such a fun use for those graphics. Thanks so much for giving me credit in your post, you're the best!!!

Tiffany said...

These are just adorable, Wendy! You never cease to amaze me. So simple but stunning like everything else you leave your mark on! Love it! Thanks for sharing! I just might have time tomorrow afternoon to do this same kind of thing! : )

Hayley said...

Love the bags!! Easy peasy's the way to go :)