10.30.2009

Frugal Friday~

Hello all! Welcome to this week's edition of Frugal Friday. So what am I talking about today?

Repurposing dresser drawers.

As I was driving down the street about a week ago, someone was throwing out what I could tell used to be a lovely old dresser. But it was trashed. And I mean trashed. Half of the drawers were missing and the two that were left looked a little worse for the wear.


"What a waste," I thought as I drove by.


Now this is a street that I drive down often. And a few days later, the dresser was still there. But this time I had a flash of inspiration. I pulled over and looked at the two remaining drawers. They were actually in pretty decent condition aside from the pulls which were falling off. So I pulled the drawers out...with a LOT of effort...and loaded them in my car. I have only finished one of them so far, but I couldn't wait to share.




Here is the first drawer before I set to work on it. I could see its potential. Pretty details...excellent craftsmanship!

I started by removing the hardware (which had been replaced, and really wasn't in fitting with the style of the dresser). Whoever replaced the hardware had filled the old holes with putty - and didn't do a very good job at it. So after I took off the handles, I used the screwdriver to scrape the putty out of the original holes.









Then I gave the whole drawer - inside and out - a coat of Nantucket White paint by Ralph Lauren. I only used one coat because I wanted the drawer to look old and used. I even left the holes which the new hardware had made.




The drawer had this wonderful keyhole on the front. I painted lightly over it and then used a sanding block to gently rub away bits of the paint. Isn't it gorgeous??





Then rather than adding handles - I strung some black and white check ribbon through the holes. An idea I shared here. I'm still debating whether or not to add casters to the bottom, although I think I will probably leave it as is.


So, my dear readers, what would you do with this little beauty? To see what I did, you'll have to come back next week. (I know, I'm so cruel to make you wait...)

Edited to add...here's what I ended up doing...

Linking to DIY day at ASPTL~

34 comments:

Popcorn Served Daily said...

I'm tuning in for sure!

Marianne@Songbird said...

Ah the possibilities. Use it for magazines, some nice old vintage bottles, line it with plastic and use is as a flower box, put it on a cupboard loaded with nice blankets, in the badroom with rolls of towels.
LOL I could go on like this for hours, so I guess there is only one conclusion: Great find and save!

Shannon said...

I love the key hole! Cant wait to see what you have done with this.

Room to Inspire said...

I love the new look - I can't wait to see what you have done with it!

Chelsea

Barb said...

love your drawer redo!!

Blessings
barbara jean

Jennifer said...

Of course that beauty had potential! It looks great!

Mrs. S. said...

That is super cute! What a neat idea!

Brunch at Saks said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Honestly I don't think I would have stopped to get the drawer- but wow- I would have missed out! Thanks for showing us that even the things we shy away from can turn into something so beautiful. I just can't get over that keyhole! Gorgeous XOXO

Laura said...

I love the idea of giving new life to old things! That keyhole is perfect! Tons of possibilities for cute storage - can't wait to see what you do! Have a fun Halloween with your kiddos!

Laura said...

oops - I meant the keyhole is beautiful! (time for some coffee...)

Astrid said...

It looks like a great toy storage unit that slides out from under a bed. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Suzann @ The Olive Cottage said...

Oh it's just wonderful. I can see it as underbed storage.

Joyce @ Cheap Frills said...

Beautiful! Gorgeous! So many possibilities - can't wait to see what becomes of it :)

Kasey said...

so many possibilities with drawers!!
xo

Cindy said...

VEry awesome. Waiting to see how it gets used at your place :o)

Our really empty nest said...

Very clever, I love people that can see things that others cant and that is definitely you! I'll be back to see! Sue

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

The key hole is beautiful...show us more please!
Janell

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Oh my, Wendy, that is GORGEOUS. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Anderooni said...

I found drawers along the side of the road several months ago! I painted them, put handles and castors on them and slid them under our square coffee table and they hold the toys. Hidden away and no longer sitting on the fireplace brick! It's great.

jules said...

it looks adorable, i love these posts...can't wait to see what you do with it...think i would put castors on it and use it under our long bench for shoes or blankets, or make it a dog bed for our 4lb Pebbles, or put it on my shelf with all my magazines, or on my coffee table with potted plants, or my buffet with wine glasses and wine...oh i am so excited to see how you use it...i am sure it will be something i never would have thought of...jules

Jen R. said...

You are so mean like that not to tell us right away!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

I have visited your blog a few times before and I finally decided to follow - I don't know what the heck I was waiting for! I am in love with your design ideas!

Holly said...

That really turned out super cute!! And,...who can't use more storage??!!

You ARE cruel to make us wait!:)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Seriously adorable keyhole! I've bookmarked several great ideas for drawers and am secretly curious if you're going to chose one of them. Hmmm... .:)

Donna

Andi's English Attic said...

The drawer was worth it for the keyhole alone! Fab. I'm curious to know what you're going to do with the drawer. xx

LuLu said...

I just love the drawer. the ribbon is so cute! Can't wait to see it next week. Happy Halloween,
xo,
LuLu

Hayley said...

Wendy.. I'm so coming back to see what you did with the drawer! I bought a dresser in the summer at a yard sale, it's quite lovely but had one of the top drawers missing (2 side by side).. it looked like my poor dresser had a black eye! So I removed the remaining drawer and will put wood on both sides and look for baskets. I have the drawer left and will not get rid of it but I need some ideas! I was thinking of adding wood shelves inside and hanging on the wall.. but I need some other options. Love your blog.. :) Hayley

http://hayley-primitup.blogspot.com/

Sue said...

I really like how you sanded the paint off the keyhole to give it dimension and character. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.
:-) Sue

REbekah said...

I LOVE it!! I also have a thing for drawers!! Love how you added the ribbon for the handels!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Add little wheels and tuck it under your bed for socks or jeans. The pretty ribbon pulls are perfect!

Mandy said...

So cute! The keyhole is to die for :)

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

Great job. I love it. I had to laugh because my hubby and I drove by a cast off (way ugly) and I giggled and he said no you don't need that, or need to paint it white...or put that ugly shabby thing in our house. It's too ugly for your blog!!!!
Hahahaha....but this is wonderful...can't wait to see how you finish it!
Blessings,
Debbie

{ L } said...

This is too cute! I love the ribbons! Also, I really like your new profile pic!

Condo Blues said...

I like the detail on the keyhole. I'd put casters on it and use it for underbed storage. I need blanket storage :)