10.23.2009

Frugal Friday~

With only one week left to go until Halloween (I don't know about you, but these things just seem to come around faster every year) I thought I'd share a few more inexpensive Halloween/Autumn decor ideas.


First up, this sweet candy corn garland. I posted about the ins and outs of making one of these babies here. But Ms. Susie has a great tutorial here. Just know that your fingers will be VERY sticky by the time you are done making this...of course, it really looks festive hanging on a chandelier, so it's worth it.


Next up, my literary pumpkin. Again, this is an idea from my archives that I posted about here. I just love these little guys. I am NOT into gory Halloween decor, so this happy fellow fits the bill just fine. Remove the construction paper face after the holiday, and you have a unique sculptural piece for the bookcase!



And finally, the beauty of autumn flora. Cut some autumn berries and place them in a clear pitcher of water. So simple, but 100% autumn.


I love, love, love this idea. Nestle some sugar pumpkins in a basket with dried hydrangea. Unexpectedly gorgeous!

And you can liven up your window boxes/baskets by stuffing them with seasonal gourds and fall leaves. Here's a little hint: fake leaves from the dollar store look realistic from a distance, keep their color even in the rain, and don't dry out and get crunchy.


Have a great weekend~

23 comments:

Cristin@ Serendipity said...

I remember when you first posted the dried hydrangea & pumpkin combo...I thought it was so pretty & just perfect for autumn!

Have a great weekend Wendy!

pk said...

Great ideas! My fav is the pumpkins and hydrangeas. So pretty!
pk @ Room Remix

Barb said...

Great ideas!!
thanks
barbara jean

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Love all of these! So beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration. -Jackie

Heather at All A Flutter said...

I love the book page pumpkin. Really, really cute!! Thanks for the inspiration!

The Whispering Creek House said...

O love your ideas and I too did a little frugalness too! I made a costume from the dollar store for Ella! I copied one of Martha's!It is so fun to be frugal!

Cindy said...

WEll, now I know what to do with the Dollar Store leaves! Great inspiration for seasonal decor. I even have some of those beautiful dried hydrangea, so I'll be playing with them this weekend. :o)

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood said...

Nice ideas. One way to transform your literary pumpkin for the next season is to add a snowman face. I'm into pumpkins for fall and snowmen for winter. :)
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Our really empty nest said...

Fantastic ideas, thanks for sharing! Sue

Astrid said...

I love that sprig of berries. I wish we had something like that growing around here. I just bought a bag of candy corn wondering if I could use it for something other than eating. LOL!

Tammy @ tinselshop.com said...

Great ideas! I love Halloween and Fall decorating but not the scary, creepy stuff... I am really loving the pumpkins nestled with the hydrangea, two of my very favorite things!

Best wishes,
Tammy

Sheri said...

OOOh must go look at that book/literary pumpkin idea. And the hydrangeas with the pumpkins are just so beautiful.

Sharon said...

Love all your ideas Wendy! I look forward to reading your blog every morning!

Tiffany said...

It's all beautiful. Wonderful ideas. I especially love that candy corn garland. Adorable.

The Giffen Family said...

I'd love to recreate your literary pumpkin but when I click on the link it says that the "page is not found" - I'm not sure if I'm just having the problem or if others are running into it as well. Just wanted to let you know :)

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi Giffen Family...thanks for letting me know. It was my bad...I goofed up the link. It's all set now. Thanks again!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Yeah!!!! You did it..So be honest..how many did you eat and how many did you break? I ate wayyyy to many last year..ha!

Abbey G. said...

I love these ideas! I made the book pumpkin--I used a little book so it made a 1/2 circle. Once Halloween's over I'm going to glue it to a flat bookend and use it on my bookcase. It's perfect!

LuLu & Co. said...

Just fantastic! love your Halloween decor! Your ideas are sooo good, love the flower boxes!
happy friday,
xo,
LuLu

Sue said...

Like how you added the hydrangea to the pumpkins. I simply cannot do candy projects anymore- I eat them while creating. Check out my cloche w/the candy corn here:

http://sullivanandmurphy.blogspot.com/2009/09/welcome-to-fall-and-my-cloches.html

While I ate my share of candy while putting it together,these Dots are now almost completely gone from the display because other people besides me tend to nibble, as well... LOL

:-) Sue

Wendy said...

Love all your great ideas!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Great ideas, Wendy. I love the window boxes, and now I REALLY wish I could grow hydrangeas! :)

this blessed nest said...

wow, you have such clever ideas. i love them all. first timer here...we were on the same link page for pumpkins from the mom's advice blog...i just had to see your monogrammed pumpkins. again, great idea & so simple.

hope you have a blessed fall weekend! take care.
kellie