10.09.2009

Frugal Friday~

Remember the little party platter that I showed you in the post about the Hubby's 40th birthday bash?



It was inspired by this lovely from Pottery Barn.


Image from Pottery Barn
Yeah, I still think theirs is prettier, but in an effort to save $$$ I decided to try my hand at making one. So I ran over to my local big box hardware store (the one that rhymes with Foam Repo) and bought me some duct work. One of the very nice employees came over to see if I needed help as I walked up and down the aisle repeatedly. When I told him I wasn't buying the duct work for my home and that I'd know what I needed when I saw it, he eyed me warily but smiled and walked off looking back over his shoulder a few times.

In any case, I bought me a couple of end caps (they have varying sizes, so you can actually create a 3-tiered platter like the one in the photo) and one connecting piece. I brought them home not having a clue how I was going to connect them.


I doubted hot glue would do the trick, but I decided to try it first anyway. And I'm glad I did...I'll tell you why in a minute. I started by using the hot glue on both inside rims of the connecting piece to build a "lip". After it was dry, I tried to glue the lip to the bottom of the smaller cap and the inside of the larger cap. It worked, and it actually held pretty well, but after a while of reaching in to get candy out, the glue gave way and it came apart.


So my suggestion is epoxy. It generally works better on things like this than hot glue does. But building a hot glue "lip" up on the inside of the connecting pieces will help give the epoxy a larger area to adhere to. So, in the end, the hot glue is a good idea. Of course, there are probably those of you out there who have an even better way of connecting the pieces (and if so, please leave me a comment...I'm always open to improvements).




But after all is said and done I have a smaller version of the party platter for about 1/5 the price. Hooray for duct work!!

It's about that time again! Next Friday is another Frugal Friday Linky Party! Get your frugal OCD* projects ready, and let's meet up here next Friday and share the goodness! I can't wait!!
*Obsessively Consumed with Decorating.

And if you haven't had a chance, don't forget to hop over to my sister's blog and enter her 1-year blogiversary giveaway!



Have a great weekend~

20 comments:

Holly said...

Ooooooh,...you are a very CLEVER girl aren't you?! I may need to swipe that idea from you. Well done.:):)

Joanna @ The Casa said...

Yay! I love the linky parties!

Great job on your replica.

Sherri S said...

You are a genius! I've seen the previous posts with this and love it. Can't wait til the linky party. I've been making over all kinds of frugal finds! Happy Friday!

Laura said...

Love it, love it, love it! You are one crafty lady! Have a great weekend!

Leen said...

What a great idea! You are so clever!

northern cottage said...

Foam Repo? - you are hilarious! This is darling - go girl with your experimenting!!

Shannon said...

Yours looks great!! I've gotten several weird looks in the hardware stores too :)

Tiffany said...

Your version is awesome! I love it! I like your twist on it. I need to make me one of those!

shelly said...

Great job making do with what you could find! The ones from PB remind me of something you'd feed little critters with....not sure if you're in a rural-ish area, but a feed or farm store would probably have them!

Nancy said...

I have been drooling over PB one for a while. What a clever method. My hubby would love it if I said, "Let's go to Home Depot and look at metal ducts." He would wonder where his wife was! :) Yours looks great, by the way...

Kasey said...

too cute.
now me..i would have bought the real version because of time...
but i love yours and love you for your ability to make things happen.
xo

Jen R. said...

very clever Wendy!!!!! Hot glue is the new duct tape!

Cristin@ Serendipity said...

Clever, clever girl! {The Pottery Barn version isn't even available until the end of November!} It looks like you threw a fabulous 40th!

Amber said...

It never would have occurred to me to try and re-create this piece with supplies from the box store. Your crafty mind is always thinking outside the box! It turned out great!

PamperingBeki said...

Look at you crafty little thang!

I go into "Foam Repo" (ha!) and I *know* there must be something I can create with all that, but I can never figure out what. Kudos to you for coming up with something.

MamaBug said...

I love this idea...One thing I need to know though. What size ducts did you use? I have been on the lookout for a tray like the one you showed up from PB or a set of baskets like this: http://api.photoshop.com/home_c4b0378188d840818f26304dc7815a86/adobe-px-assets/5b11264027da40e295a4502921eb42bb to store craft punches and rubber stamps in. Do you think a duct work tray would hold up to use like that?

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said...

I love your take on the pottery barn tray, such a creative good job. I love it when you can make look alikes with out spending alot of money...congrats..I am a new follower...come for a visit..

paige said...

dang woman

i'm so impressed with you

not only that YOU whipped that up

but the fact that YOU can hold your own at home depot & part of your daily vocabulary is duct work & epoxy

Macchio Family said...

genius! seriously... LOVE. It. I'm so impressed that you made this and it's lovely... fabulous idea. Thank you for ALL your ideas... ~ kim

Ruthies Renewed Treasured said...

Love it! You inspire us all, thanks for sharing with us!

Ruthie