10.15.2009

Dressing my nest~

There is a lot of truth to the assumption that we dress our homes in much the same way as we dress ourselves. I have always loved neutrals. I graduated with a degree in Fashion Merchandising. I remember one specific class in college where we were discussing colors, and focusing, in particular on "neutral" colors. One of the girls in my class made a comment about how she loved all of the neutral colors in my wardrobe. I had never really noticed until that moment just how drawn to neutrals I am. Whites, beiges, tans, grays, blacks.

And now, a couple of years later (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it), my house is dressed in neutrals as well.

Of course, I do like to throw in a pop of color here and there. Take these fun shoes, for example. A girl's gotta love a red pair of shoes. And these sweet little things were made extra special by the fact that they were on extreme clearance at one of my favorite stores. (Tar-jay to be exact). So home they came.



And that brings me to the remainder of my story. I just love the ruffle and button detail on these shoes. I mean really love it. And I began to wonder how it might translate into a pillow. (Because no matter how I try to focus on other things...my mind always comes back eventually to home decor.) So this is what I came up with.



How I love this pillow. A little less feminine than the shoes, but still with a ruffle and a button. AND made from men's suiting fabric - that's my favorite part - so that it's a little bit masculine as well. Ah, sweet success. Can a person love a pillow? Well, I think I'm in love with this one. If you like it as well, it's listed now in my Etsy.


And to think, it's all because I decided that I had to add a little pop of color to my neutral wardrobe. Do you decorate like you dress?


Don't forget tomorrow is the Frugal Friday Linky Party. For you night owls, MckLinky will go up tonight at midnight EST. Can't wait to see what you all have up your sleeve this time!!!

Have a great Thursday~

29 comments:

Holly said...

OK that is hilarious!!! I just bought that EXACT same pair of shoes at Target yesterday. Great minds!!

That pillow is AORABLE!!!! LOVE IT!

The Little Red Shop said...

Cute pillow! When I was studying Fashion Design at FIDM...one of my instructors said that we would get and automatic F if we designed our line of clothing for the class in blue and brown...that was 14 years ago! Funny, eh? Oh, and my favorite clothing and home decor colors are not quite the same.

Almost happy weekend!
: )
Julie M.

C-re said...

haha! I bought those shoes on clearance about 3 weeks ago too! lol. Red too. LOVE them.
Really cute pillow.

Kasey said...

cute shoes....but how do they feel?

Runner Mom said...

Those red shoes are adorable! I am making a tar-jay run after while and will check out the shoes!!

Hugs!
Susan

Sandy Toes said...

Those shoes are just too cute~

sandy toe

Sheri said...

The shoes are awesome, I need them. The pillow is too cute. Could use it too! The dressing your house thing is so spot on. I never thought of it. But my house is very neutral with splashes of color...and one of my co-workers complained that she didn't know what color I liked because I always wore black, grey and tan. LOL

rachel @ perfectly imperfect said...

that's great- getting inspiration from the beautiful things around you! good job on the pillow. : )
rachel

Janet said...

They had the shoes in black too and I bought the last pair, which happened to be my size!! :)

Kate Starr said...

That rings so true... and the rooms that stray from our "dressing norm" always feel uncomfortable and just not quite right!

And yes, your shoes are adorable!

snowman hill said...

I love the shoes, they are so feminine!!! Krista

Shanade said...

Haha, I too bought these shoes a couple weeks ago on clearance. They are sooo cute. I was thinking I would try dressing up a lamp shade with the ruffle and button.

mary said...

I love that pillow. I also am drawn to neutrals. Whites, browns, creams, and grays. It is so bad that at one point my husband gave me shopping money and said please come back with something that isn't brown!

TRICIA @ The Zoo said...

Love the pillow.LOVE the shoes!
It's funny. I guess I never really thought about it before, but yes. I do dress like I dress my nest. Browns, tans, whites, blacks, grey, with a bit of blue and green thrown in.
Very enlightening post. ;)

XO*Tricia

Zuzu said...

Love the shoes AND your creative mind for coming up with the pillow - beautiful!

I have always worn neutrals, blues and greens and my home is dressed in the same colors, but I just recently (accidentally) discovered what a tiny touch of red can do - love it!

Enjoy your day!
Zuzu

schwadette said...

I have my token pair of red shoes too! :) LOVE THEM! Love the pillow too.... very cute!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Well, the common thread between how I dress and how I decorate must be that I'm changing my mind all the time! I do like to dress more simply and add color and detail with accessories.

northern cottage said...

LOVIN' those SHOES with the little ruffles - oh my! and that pillow - oy!

kari and kijsa said...

That is the cutest ruffle on that pillow!!! You always have the cutest things in your shop!

blessings,

kari & kijsa

Lisa-Marie said...

I love both the cushion and the shoes. Also, I think yuo are right about our homes reflecting what we wear. My favourite colours are red and purple, Dave likes blue checks, and thats very evident in our home! Because they are such strong colours, we do try to base them with neutrals, and it shows them at their best I think!

LuLu said...

You are so classy!! I'm now thinking i'm a mess... now that you brought it to my attention i dress like my house, a mix of stuff!! when can you come over and give my closet a makeover with all your style@! and i'll take 2 pillows too! that are sooooo cute,
xo,
LuLu

Liz said...

Mmmm.. I just adore your dining area! So calm and serene!

Amber said...

The shoes are super cute...as is the pillow! Love both! The pillow has the perfect touch of sweetness without being overly feminine.

Ticking and Toile said...

You are so fun! I love your writing...it always makes me smile! The shoes are adorable & the pillow is awesome!!!!

Shellagh

Sharon said...

Love the pillow ... I am going to try one for my guest room. Thanks for the inspiration.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Love the shoes and the pillow. Actually, love ALL your pillows!

Francis Family said...

I have been following your blog for a bit and I love it. If I had the time and money and space to do what I wanted, it would definately look like me! Modern, but fun and a little different, just to be different. That's me! Love the shoes and your blog. I added it to mine if thats ok!

Amy said...

I love both the shoes and the pillow. Darling!

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

I have those shoes!!!

:)