9.02.2009

How to make your kids happy that school is starting~

School starts today for my kiddos. Where did the summer go? I mean, really, September kind of snuck up on me. But this morning, I will send Mr. One and the Princess off to their first day of school sporting new tennis shoes and new backpacks and ready to learn. And then I will relax...NOT! I still have the toddler demolition team at home with me, remember? But two kiddos are slightly less work than four. Not much.


So in celebration of the first day of school, our little family held our Annual Back to School dinner last night. I started this tradition last year after reading about a similar dinner held by the lovely Nie Nie.


This year I resurrected the banner I used last year (it was too cute not to use again.)



I even used similar decor. (But I added my New Year's Fairy to the mix - hey she's holding a 2009 sign - I thought it worked!)












And this year I made these great little crowns for the kiddos to wear. Each sports a number denoting which grade each kiddo will be entering. I wanted something gender neutral, but still cute and fun. I love the way they turned out!




Every year the Hubby and I introduce a theme for the kiddos. This year's theme is "Do What is Right". I spelled it out with sticker letters on a long piece of ribbon, so the kids could see it during dinner, and we talked about what it means to do what is right. The kids really liked the theme. They're good kids.





On the menu? The kids asked for chinese take out. No problem!! That's my kind of meal.


And afterward, we presented them with bags full of school supplies. They had so much fun going through the bags, then loading up their backpacks. And although they both told me they are NOT excited for school to start...the smiles on their faces say something else. ;-)


Have a great Wednesday~

34 comments:

Room to Inspire said...

I love the idea of a Back to School dinner! Great idea and I am sure the kids love it. Your table and decor looks great. I think I will have to borrow this fabulous idea.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Chelsea

Shannon said...

Wonderful idea! My daughter starts next week in Kindergarten. She would get such a kick out of something fun like this.

Thanks for sharing.

Our really empty nest said...

What a fantastic idea and if my youngest wasnt finishing up with college, I would steal it! I will pass it on to friends who still have little ones! Sue

Laura said...

I love this idea! I love that this creates memories & traditions & shows how special we think our children are! Enjoy your (semi) peace & quiet!

C-re said...

What a cute idea! I dread when my babies start school! Then we'll be stuck to their schedule. Ugh.

TheOldPostRoad said...

What a GREAT mom! I love the ribbon and theme!

Beth said...

What a sweet way to start the new school year. Love it!

duchess said...

Hope they have a great day!
Enjoy your Wednesday.

Kate Starr said...

You are just too fun. What a great party!

the haley family said...

I think this is just the neatest little thing! That is so fun!

Sallie said...

My friend hosted a back to school breakfast and day before school to get the kids used to waking up early and being around their friends in the morning. It was fantastic. I love this idea too and think it is great to have a theme slogan for the year.

Mary Beth said...

I love the idea of a Back to School party. We were always rushed before the first day of school because we stayed at the beach until the last ... possible ... minute - usually the night before school started:) I don't know what it is about school supplies - I still love them and it's been a few (cough,) years since I was heading back.

melissa said...

Such a cute idea, Wendy! I secretly wish for my kids to ask for fast food for birthday dinners instead of something I make :)

Sandy Toes said...

What a wonderful idea...I wish I saw this before my kids started school....I want to do it!!!!!


Maybe I can do a "one month" down~
sandy toe

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

OMG!!!! You are sooooo good!!!!!!

LOVED IT!!!!!

Pam said...

What a fabulous idea! I'm sure that your annual back to school dinners will be something that they will always cherish and pass on to their kids one day.

-Julie said...

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing it! I hope they have a great first day!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Great great idea - I've seen it everywhere and think I might finally do it.

Rebekah said...

Oh, I love this idea! Making a celebration of going back to school is brilliant. If I remember, I'd like to do something similar for our little girl when she starts school- a couple of years away, yet, but I know it will be here in a flash.

Marie said...

Hello Wendy - oh my, what a lovely tradition this is! How sweet. Even though we are already into our 3rd week of school, you've inspired me to plan a special "back to school" dinner for my kiddos who are doing such a great job so far and deserve a little kudddos from their Mama. Thank you for sharing, and Happy First Day of School to you!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Half of the Style Sisters said...

So so cute! I just wish I had some kids left at home to do this for. I will pass this on to my family and friends. Great job and what a sweet mom you are to make such a nice celebration for them.

Karin

Morning T said...

What a great idea! I tried to make our first day prep special last week but it didn't quite turn out like this. Your kids are lucky. Happy first day to you!

LuLu said...

It turned out so cute... love the party hats!!! It's the memories and special touches like this that make parenting such fun,
wishing you all a great school year,
LuLu

julie said...

ok! i love this idea and all the little details! i am going to make this a tradition in my house! too bad they started last week! thanks for the idea!

PamperingBeki said...

How sweet!! They are very lucky.

Katrina Chambers said...

What a great idea! How cute for the kiddies :)

Susie from Bienvenue said...

How cute! I love this idea~

Leen said...

Oh I love this! Crowns and chinese food and school supplies! Can I come next year?

debra said...

What a great idea! I will have to remember that for next year. Hope they both had a good first day.

Nancy said...

I love your BTS dinner.... we had one too. I posted a little about it, yesterday. I LOVE the theme you have for the year. May I use that idea too next year...I absolutely love it. Enjoy your year. Beatiful crowns by the way. :)

Anny said...

Aww what cute ideas, no wonder they were excited :D

Amber said...

Cute ideas! I love that you took something that was happening no matter what and turned into a fun family celebration and time of connection! These dinners will definitely be in the memory banks of your kids when they think back to their childhood.

paige said...

hi sweet wendy--i'm a little behind catching up with you so i just perused several of your entries &
i love this one. you did such a wonderful job creating a memory maker for sure!
have a wonderful weekend
xo

Dolce Baci said...

How cute is that...I love it!