9.01.2009

A little humor and why my subscribers are getting shortened posts~ (How's that for a dumb title?)

In my box of goodies that I won over at sweet Kasey's blog, there was a cute little sign. It says "please, no soliciting." I just love the colors and the sweet script writing. But in my neighborhood, we don't really have trouble with door-to-door solicitors, so I didn't want to hang it outside. Then it hit me...





Ha ha! Isn't this funny?!? (If I do say so myself.) We are on the opt-out list for phone solicitors, but there are always those that find the loophole and call to bug us anyway. I just thought I'd put in my two cents worth, by putting the sign by our phone. (Too bad those darn telephone solicitors can't actually see it. sigh.)

EDITED TO ADD: I've had a lot of people comment on the phone. It is from Pottery Barn a couple of years ago. It's called the Grand phone. I don't think they have the wall version anymore, but they still have the desk version (which is actually what I wanted, but we had this ugly wall jack, so I thought the wall version would be better) Here's the link.


And I also wanted to let all of my readers know, that I have shortened my RSS feed. This means that those of you who subscribe to my blog via readers like bloglines, google reader etc. will now be getting a truncated version of my posts that wont include any photos. I found out that the blog that is stealing my blog posts is using my feed to do so. (If you haven't heard about this unfortunate situation, I wrote about it here.) In any case, now the offending blog is only getting short versions of my posts with no photos. My sincere apologies to my subscribers who are now having to deal with these truncated posts in their readers. I hope you will continue to read my blog...you'll just have to click over if you want to see the entire posts. It's just too bad that those who are less than ethical can ruin things for all of the other bloggers out there who are wonderful and supportive and who give credit where credit is due.



And since I'm on the subject of my readers and subscribers, I want to thank you all for your wonderful comments and for coming to visit me here!! I want to apologize for the fact that I don't comment on all of your blogs as often as I should. I do visit. I really do! And you all are wonderful. Just know that I'm there, enjoying your inspiring posts. My readers rock!!



Have a great Tuesday~

23 comments:

Sarah said...

Can you tell me how you disabled the right click option? I would love to be able to do that too on my blog...

Happy to click over to read your blog!

Janelle said...

You should also disable clickable pictures. I can click on your images, and it takes me to a page of just the image (full-sized), and I can right-click on it there.

Glad you got the truncation figured out, though! And, hey, this gets you more REAL traffic!

Jackie said...

Love the sign!! So sorry that you had to deal with all those blog stealing issues - I can't believe people would do that. Glad you figured out a way to thwart the bad guys!!

Michelle said...

I disagree with Janelle. Truncation won't get you more real traffic. I'm sorry you are dealing with an intellectual property thief. As an artist, it is a really sore spot with me when someone steals someone's creative endeavors.

However, I only read blogs through an RSS reader to protect my computer from viruses and possibly malicious code. Not to mention all the times I read a blog or two from my phone while waiting on a line. Clicking to an original post means a longer load time and less blogs I get to enjoy.

I hope at some point you can go back to sharing your content as before.

Pat said...

Hi Wendy, I am sorry that you have had to deal with this. Your blog is so wonderful and I enjoy it so much.
Aren't Kacey's items just wonderful! Can't wait to go to her Open House in October. Your sign is great !

Molly said...

Wow - my friend just e-mailed me this afternoon asking me if I'd make her a nice "no soliciting" sign! She's getting aggravated with everyone ringing her doorbell and waking her new baby. And yes! If only it would work for the telephone kind. We can always dream. :)

Melanie said...

Love the sign! ... and your phone and your wall color. ;-)

I always go directly to blogs rather than use a reader so I'll still be visiting.

Beth said...

I laughed out loud when I read your post title :)! The pic of the phone and sign made me laugh too. On a serious note, I'm so sorry that you are having to go through so much trouble to prevent someone from stealing. So unfair. Many blessings to you and your fabulous blog!

Beth

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

What a pain to have to deal with intruders! I have only had it happen once that I know of...a reader let me know, and I promptly left them a comment, and the post was promptly taken down. Oh well, we should be flattered, but it's just too much work to have it stolen out from under you.

Stop by when you have a minute. I finally finished a cool footboard project that I have been dreaming up for a while. My schoolwork has really kept me away from blogging and creating. I am so ready to get back in gear!

~Misti

julie and jon said...

I am in love with that phone! So cute!

Kasey said...

thanks for the little shout out..where did you get your phone?

Shannon said...

Love the sign by the phone!! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Neat phone! :) I still don't completely understand all the RSS, feed, reader stuff. I have your blog on my dashboard, and I just click over to read it. :) Hope you can get things sorted out with the offender soon!

Darlene said...

That sign is so cute!! Sorry you are still having to deal with the idiot thiefs!!

Jen said...

I read you on Google Reader and I will gladly click to the blog when I see you have a new post.

LuLu said...

Perfect spot for the sign!!! I got a good chuckle at that one.
cool phone!!!
LuLu

Tiffany said...

Oh, how I loved that phone the first time I saw it in Pottery Barn. Before I could ever have the privilege of owning it, we went to just cell phones. It was my husband's idea...the nerve! : ) Love the sign by the phone, very cute!

Jen Kershner said...

I love your phone (I've been looking at the desk version for my bedroom) and I love the sign. At least the sentiment is right! And P.S. you are worth clicking over from Bloglines!

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

That sign is too cute!! And I need one by my phone- we get those pesky calls all the time!! I love the phone and was wondering if you had painted it yourself before I read about where you purchased it.

blessings
mary

Victoria said...

I click over too. :) I wasn't sure why the whole post didn't show up in Google reader so that makes sense. Hope this stops the copycatting!

V and Co. said...

yeah i knew why you did it cause i do it too. i don't mind because i know you are just trying to protect your hard work! keep up the good work!

Terresa said...

The sign is presh. The phone is, too, btw. Just found your blog & I'm really diggin' it.

The Vintage Modern Girl said...

that little sign is great! i wish it actually worked with telemarketers :-) so sorry you are having to deal with this blog-stealer issue. i had a similar thing happen to me a couple years ago. it was a real bummer! (love your blog by the way- been reading for awhile but can't remember if i've ever commented!)