9.16.2009

How to revive a dresser~

I've had this little black dresser in my upstairs hallway for a couple of years now. I loved the black, but the dresser was looking a little worse for the wear, and I really wanted to lighten it up.



I took a clue from these little egg prints that hang above the dresser and decided to paint it blue. I matched the paint to the background of the prints.



And. I. hated. it.

I wasn't sure what to do. Repaint? Choose a different color? Well, I decided to try to age the color a little bit so that it better matched the egg prints. I went and bought a small tube of acrylic paint in Burnt Umber. I watered it down (a lot) and then brushed the wash over the entire dresser, wiping off the excess as I went.


It brought the color down a notch and made it look a little worn. Much. better. But, I had more plans for this little dresser. I wanted to add numbers to each drawer (of course I did!) Now, I have tried many different ways of painting numbers on furniture, but this time I decided to use this idea from Layla. It worked great!


I didn't want the white to be too bright, so I toned it down with some burnt umber as well, and then painted the little numbers right on each drawer. I just love the finished product.


Here she is in all her glory. (The color is a little off in these photos....my walls are not nearly that orange, and the dresser isn't nearly that powder-blue...but you all get the idea, right?)


Now I've fallen in love with this little piece all over again! Hooray for a little paint!

I'm linking to DIY day over at A Soft Place to Land.
Oh, and join me over at Blissfully Domestic where I'm talking about how to create chic and fun canopy beds on a budget!

Have a great Thursday~

46 comments:

Enchantresses Three said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!!! You amaze me!
Hugs,
Sariah

Rachelle said...

Shut up! How cute is that! I LOVE LOVE the numbers. Love them! Come over and do that to all my dressers okay? Thanks! ;)

Rachelle

Phillips Phamily Mama said...

How did those numbers DO that? WOW! What a difference! Brilliant idea!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

The dresser looks so cute. I actually did a numbered dresser a few months ago, but it was white with blue numbers. I'll be posting it on my blog soon.

Sharon said...

Nice re-do. The numbers are especially cute.

Mandy said...

Love it!
Hooray for paint, right?!

sarah said...

Love the color and the numbers!!

Amy said...

Looks great!! We have a dresser like that, and it's dark green.

Tam, I am said...

I love it! I have a couple of pieces of furniture that needs a fresh look! Thanks for the inspiration!!

rosemst2t said...

Nice re-do. Love the numbers, that was a great touch!
Rose

Katrina Chambers said...

Love the re-do. Great colour!

susan said so said...

Perfect!

xox,
Susan

http://confessionsofasineater.blogspot.com/

Room to Inspire said...

Lovin' the color, lovin' the numbers...it is a great pick-me-up!

Chelsea

Nori said...

I just love it! I love all the numbers I see in blog land... I must find something to number... hmmm.

I also love how your piece evolved. I love that process of not being completely happy with something and tweaking it until it "works".

thanks for sharing!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I have an old dresser in my closet that I need to do something like this to. Right now it's hot pink. Not pretty. But yours is gorgeous.

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Love those numbers and the blue! Such an improvement!~Ashley

Leanne said...

It looks great and I love that you added the numbers.

Molly @ A Bit O' Shine said...

I just love how paint can transform something and make you love your old, worn out stuff.

I think Burnt Umber is my favorite acrylic paint of all times. I've used that to "antique" so many things!

Mrs. S. said...

Very cute!

Dresser Girl said...

I. Love. It.

Sheri said...

That is so sweet.

Kasey said...

good work!

KellyH said...

Looks really great. I've gotta try that myself.

Nancy said...

I really like it and the numbers are too cute!

Nancy

Shannon said...

It looks amazing! I love the color and the numbers. Great job!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Love the redo! What a great idea to add the numbers!
~Nancy

Cristin@ Serendipity said...

Success, it turned out great -- love the numbers! What would we do without paint?

Holly said...

Wow Wend,...it looks so good! You always have had a knack for rescueing things and making them better than new.

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Great job! I love how you watered down acrylic paint instead of going with an actual glaze. It sounds so much easier (and less expensive).

Amber said...

The burnt umber wash made all the difference! Love it! It looks fresh and bright now. And it looks great with your egg prints.

Susie said...

Great job..I love the numbers. Thanks for the link for the 'how to'! How wonderful that your husband is willing to help you as well. My husband has always helped me; but after 30 years of marriage and helping with my crafts and then antique business...he's just a little tired these days! It just takes a little more convincing than it used to..Keep uo the great work..
Susie

Tiffany said...

LOVE it! It looks terrific! The numbers are the perfect touch, as always! : )

oh amanda said...

Oooh, I love the numbering on the drawers! I have an old dresser that needs some love. I'm going to remember that idea!

paige said...

i just made an audible squeel
did you hear me?

Gwen said...

Burnt umber is my best friend and your dresser shows why!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

It turned out fabulous! The burnt umber really did make all the difference. I love the numbers too... I too saw Layla's lovely creation & great tips. Now I just need to figure out what I want to number... hum???

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

It's beautiful! I'll have to remember the burnt umber trick in the future.

Debbie @ The Shabby Bungalow said...

Wow absolutely love this dresser - looks really good :)

mistycakes said...

Love the dresser!!! It is so cute and I absolutely love the numbers. What a fun touch!

LuLu said...

I loved how you explained the whole process, I've been painting like crazy lately and need to tweak a night stand and this is so helpful! Your numbers look fantastic!!
xo,
LuLu

Jenn said...

*happy sigh* Absolutely PERFECT. Love it.

Wendy said...

So cute, I love the numbers!

Oh, and I'm having a Free Paint Party, feel free to check it out!

{ L } said...

Beautifully done! You are so inspirational.

Cam said...

I love it! I love the technique for the numbers too. I will be trying this soon.

Grits414 said...

Love the dresser! I have a dresser just waiting to be painted! How in the world do you print numbers backwards?

Leen said...

It looks great! The numbers really "make" it.

I love all of your ideas. You are so clever & creative :)