Here's how to make a great "green" tote out of an old wool sweater. (you can left click on the very ugly photo above - I took it when it was getting dark and I realized I didn't have a "before" photo to share - to enlarge it if you want to be able to read what I typed in the boxes. )
EDITED TO ADD: I've had a couple of readers that mentioned they think the article was from Country Living.
1. First find yourself a wool sweater. I haven't worn the sweater that I used for my tote in probably 10 years, but I still liked it and always knew I'd find something to do with it.
2. Wash the sweater in hot water and then dry on a high heat setting. This will cause the sweater to shrink and will felt the wool.
3. Then cut the sweater as shown on the photo above.
4. Fold the sweater so the side seams are now in the front and back. (The felting will cause the seams to be much less obvious)
5. Turn the cut sweater inside out and sew the bottom closed.
6. Fold the cut edges over and hem.