9.25.2009

Frugal Friday~

Interesting how you can start out with one thing in mind and end up with something totally different once you get going. Inspiration works in funny ways.

Take this little lamp for example.


I saw her at the local thrift store, and thought she might be good for the Princess' room. Of course, the brass just didn't do it for me, and the pink roses with their green leaves made the whole thing just a little too "precious" for my taste. I thought of spraypainting the little lamp, but ended up putting her back instead.


Of course, it doesn't take a genious to figure out the rest of the story. I went back a couple of days later, and luckily, the little lamp was still there. This time I scooped her up and took her home.



After a few coats of spraypaint, this is how she looks. No precious pink roses, no yucky brass. Not only that, but the base looks a little more substantial now that the whole thing is the same color. (She wasn't actually dry yet when I took the photos...that's why she's still a little "shiny"...)




I planned on adding the lamp shade that is currently on the lamp in the Princess' room (pictured above), and thought it might be a nice contrast to the more formal lamp base. But as I was doing this post, and looking at the photo of the lamp in all of her cream-colored perfection, I had a flash of inspiration...


You'll have to wait until next week to see what I decided to do...(I know, I know, how could I make you wait? It'll be worth it, though!) And you know, the little lamp probably won't end up in the Princess' room after all...of course, I could redecorate...



Have a great Friday~

30 comments:

Amy @LittlePinkDollhouse said...

The suspense is killing me! Can't wait for friday!

Joanne Kennedy said...

At first I didn't care for the lamp at all. Then after you painted it I fell in love! Great job. Can't wait to see what shade you used.

Hugs,
Joanne

Karli said...

Ooooh, I love a good mystery!

Room to Inspire said...

She looks much better all in white. Can't wait to see what and where she ends up!

Chelsea

Sherri S said...

The lamp was cutesy to begin with and now it is GORGEOUS! Can't wait to see where she ends up.

paige said...

i love a flashof inspiration...can't wait
xo

LuLu said...

You worked your magic again! looks terrific!
xo,
LuLu

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Just beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do next with it!

Dolce Baci said...

It turned out great!

Jen R. said...

It looks so much better!

Cathy @Crayonsandbicycles.com said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.....

So wrong to make us wait!

Wes and Tracy said...

With the glossy white paint it almost looks like it is ceramic. Really pretty!

soho said...

Absolutely Stunning!! Nice job, it's amazing what a little spray paint can do. :)

Tracy is ... Loving Pretty Things said...

too cute, wendy! Love it!

xo

Ruby Red Slippers said...

The paint already made a difference-can't wait to see what you do-

Kacey said...

I love how paint can transform things! Looks great.

Isakias said...

wow....that looks FANTASTIC!!! I can think of three rooms in my house that already covet that lamp and it is not even finished yet.

gooood job,............you really are mean to make us wait. :)

Isakias said...

hey gwendiliniwinifred- that last comment was me,...i was signed in under Isaac. pfffftt :p

April Pantall said...

Can't wait to see what you do! I love these remakes and renovations :)

Wendy said...

That looks great in white!

Amber said...

The lamp is beautiful in all white! Good choice! Can't wait to see the lampshade.

Laura said...

ahhh...the magic of spray paint! Can't wait to see the finished lamp!

Debbie @ The Shabby Bungalow said...

Looks fab - can't wait to see the next part

Jeanneoli said...

Love it all one color!!

a little bit biased said...

I love the lamp! You've inspired me to start looking a little deeper! I wouldn't consider myself to be the most frugal person but I am really proud of my latest purchase/re-do. Do you want to see? It's here at: http://alittlebitbiased.blogspot.com/2009/09/hillside-green.html Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas. You are awesome and I check your blog often for great inspiration.

Half of the Style Sisters said...

Love this lamp! What a beautiful transformation. I can't wait to see the total finished package. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Karin :)

A.Love said...

I love it! I always have such a hard time in thrift stores...I pick tons of stuff up and end up leaving without it thinking either I won't end up doing what I want with it or I have no idea where I'd put it :) Your lamp is great!!
What kind of spray paint did you use?

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

I cannot believe how much better it looks! I think I would have passed right by that lamp! It looks so amazing now!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Can one truly be in love with a lamp...because I think I just fell i love....that is gorgeous!!!!!! cherry

Esther said...

I can't wait to see what you've done. The all-white lamp turned out beautifully.

I'm having a giveaway. Pop over for a visit if you like.