Frugal Friday~

Hello all of my Frugal OCD (Obsessively Consumed with Decorating) readers! Welcome to this week's edition of Frugal Friday!!

This week I wanted to talk a little bit about frugal furniture...you know the kind you get at a tag sale, at the thrift store or free on the side of the road (that's my FAVORITE kind). I mean, let's be honest, unless you're a master carpenter - or you have one for a best friend - you can't just pick up anything you see. You have to use a little discernment regarding what you can realistically do.

For example, if you find a great dresser, check the drawers. Do they open and close easily? If not, can you fix the problem easily? Is it just a matter of some glue, or are there serious structural problems?

How about an upholstered chair? Does it smell? Is the upholstery lumpy? Can you make a slipcover? Do you know how to upholster? Do you have someone who can do it for you without breaking the bank?

Let's take this sweet little rocking chair for instance. I found this on the side of the road on the way home from a dental appointment with the Princess. I passed it by at first, but then decided I had to have a second look.

Apart from the fact that the back is missing, the chair is in great condition.

The caning is perfect! That would not have been an easy fix.

And the missing back won't be that big a deal. I have a plan.

Here's a rendering of what I hope to do to this little chair. Don't look too closely, I drew this quickly! And I don't have a scanner on this computer so I had to take a photo of the drawing...sorry!

I'm going to paint her white. (Even the caning. I know there are those out there who will think I'm CRAZY for doing that, but I think it will look beautiful!)

Then I'm going to upholster the back. First I'll create a framework using upholstery webbing, then add some batting, add some muslin, and then some great tan linen (only $6.99 at JoAnn's!). Then to finish it off, I'm going to add nailhead trim.

I'll post the project when I'm all done, so stay tuned.

If you are realistic about what you can do, and picky about what you bring home, frugal furniture can be a great way to dress up your home.
Next week I'm hosting another FRUGAL FRIDAY LINKY PARTY!! Get your frugal decorating ideas ready, and then link up to share with all our Frugal OCD friends! Can't wait to see the frugal goodness you all come up with this time around!!

Have a great weekend~


Kristin said...

I LOVE the lines on that chair!

Amber said...

Your plan sounds perfect to me! I can't wait to see it all finished and looking pretty! It's a beautiful chair.

Room to Inspire said...

This chair appears to have a ton of potential. I can't wait to see the transformation!


The Little Red Shop said...

Lovely find! It looks like a great project (and sketch!)! It's very inspiring too..as I just rescued a backless chair last week!

: )

Julie M.

Barb said...

Awesome chair!! What a great find.

It will be wonderful fixed up.

blessings on your day.

barbara jean

Laura said...

Great chair - can't wait to see it when it's done! I've found some amazing finds at yard sales & on the side of the road. My husband thinks I'm crazy until he sees the final product and then I get credit for having a good eye!

duchess said...

She'll turn out beautiful.
Great find.
Enjoy your labor day weekend.

Sandy Toes said...

I can't wait to see what you do!
sandy toe

Kasey said...

it'll be darling.

Meshellyn said...

It will look great! Will you please give us some step by steps on the backing you will make? Our dining room set has wooden rods and my husband finds them so uncomfortable. I need to figure out a way to pad them and cover them... haven't really researched it yet, but you may provide me with some good tips I need to get going! Thanks and have fun!

Shannon said...

What a great find! I can't wait to see it!

Darlene said...

I can't wait to see the chair's makeover!

LuLu said...

You are so talented, your stetch was perfect!! It's going to be so good!!! can't wait to see it,
happy weekend to you,

Richella said...

What an adorable little chair--and what a good vision you have of what she can be! I look forward to seeing your finished product. Thank you for always sharing such good ideas on Fridays!

Morning T said...

I NEVER find stuff like that on the side of the road, just crazy. Your plan looks amazing and I can't wait to see the results.
Happy Friday!

Aja said...

Great find! Love the idea of tan linen and nailhead. Can't wait to see it!

Anny said...

My goodness you are organized! I can't even remember to take a "Before" picture ;)

julie said...

that rocker is beautiful! i cant wait to see it finished! i dont understand some of the things people throw away! i have a few things i have picked out of my neighbors trash! and i too love it!

Gwen said...

Darn, I wish that I could draw that well! Good plan for the rocker.

You bring up a really good point about our thrifty finds. As time goes by though, I am learning that as long as I like the lines of a piece, I can tackle just about any defect. It is so much fun to learn a new technique and I get the biggest kick out of pointing something out and saying "I did that!"

Elyse said...

hi wendy!

sounds like a plan and i always enjoy your illustrations.

happy september & enjoy the long weekend!


Cathryn said...

Oh my goodness, what a find you have there! Although your idea is great for a temporary fix and surely is a benefit to you financially in a tight economy, I would really caution you NOT to upholster this antique, Lincoln Cane Rocking Chair!

It is a very valuable antique that deserves to be restored to its former glory and not altered.

These types of cane rockers were made in the 1870s-1900s and were usually made with walnut wood, but sometimes maple and ash, also. Supposedly President Lincoln had one of these and it was his favorite, hence the name.

They are irreplaceable, genuine antiques that should be honored and preserved for future generations.

If you alter that rocker by upholstering the back, you will damage it and make it difficult for a chair caning expert to restore.

And once an antique is gone, it's gone forever, they can NEVER be replaced. You can't MAKE another antique.

Teach yourself how to cane and restore this piece as it should be (and learn a new, viable trade in the meantime), or go to the Furniture Repair Directory on my website to find a seatweaver or chair caning expert to do the work for you.

All the best to you and Happy Weaving!

The Wicker Woman-Cathryn Peters
"Your Information Source for Chair Caning, Wicker Repair, Basketry and More!"

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

thank you for your insight Catheryn. I appreciate it.

jet said...

I was going to be the one to say that I don't think you should paint it, but maybe the pp convinced you? I think it is really stunning as it is. In my area you can take a class on caning, I've always wanted to do it. If you do decide to upholster the back, though, I'd LOVE to know how you do it. I recently sold a set of beautiful dining room chairs that had that kind of back, because I couldn't figure out how to re-upholster them. I'm intrigued with your idea of using webbing, and then batting/upholstery over it. Even if you don't do this chair, show us how to do what you were thinking of! Please? :-) Thank you, and I love your blog!