9.28.2009

An Eye for Pretty~

One of my favorite compliments I've ever received from a reader was being told that I have "an eye for pretty." I just love the idea of finding the pretty in the everyday. And when it comes to this little lamp that was certainly the case.


On Friday I showed you this little lamp in its "before" stage. Too sugary. Too precious. Too....brass.



BEFORE


So I gave her a few coats of spraypaint.



The spraypaint helped. But now the pretty lamp needed a lampshade that suited her new look. And the lampshade I had planned on using just wasn't going to cut it. So I thought, and I thunk, and I thinked. And it hit me. I had to make the perfect lampshade for this little beauty.

Now, I have purchased and used self-adhesive lampshades before, but when I went to buy another one, I was surprised at how expensive they were. I REALLY don't remember them being that costly. And this lamp IS a Frugal Friday project afterall. So I had to rethink my plan.

I was still mulling it over as I ran to Target to pick up such glamorous items as pull-ups and AA batteries (yes, I know, my life is sooooo glamorous!) when I happened to walk past the lighting section and see a small, plain white lampshade that was just perfect - and half the price of the self-adhesive version.



I had to make my own pattern for the fabric (which was actually very easy to do...I just rolled the fabric around the lampshade and cut it to fit. I could have been much more technical, but I am not a patient person when it comes to these sorts of things...sigh.) Then I hot glued it on to the shade. But the shade would be nothing without the addition of three sweet little rosettes. They made it just perfect. A little shabby, a little chic, a little romantic. Perfect!


Linking to DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land.


Have a lovely day~

46 comments:

Holly said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee gadds,.....I absolutely LOVE it!!!!!

Rachel said...

That's so cute! Good job.

The Whispering Creek House said...

Well done! It turned out so great!

Christine said...

Did you just twist more of the same fabric to make the rosettes? I love it!

Marianne@Songbirdisnesting said...

I already loved the lamp without a shade but now it is just perfect.

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Oooooh... LOVE this!! So darn cute!! Way to go!!
~Whitney

Suzann @ The Olive Cottage said...

That is one very YUMMY lamp. wow!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Fabulous! Great job...again!

Laura said...

Adorable! Great job!

northern cottage said...

ahhhh - what a wonderful phrase! I'd definitely agree - you have an eye for pretty for sure!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

That shade with the rosettes did the trick! Very shabby chic and I love it!

Kasey said...

adorable.
my friend kim {mimi charmonte} makes lined necklaces that remind me of the posies..
hope you had a good weekend!!

Kristina said...

Oh, I love this lamp!!

Wendy said...

MUCH better all white!

Im having a paint party, feel free to check it out!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

The rosettes are tres chic!

Darlene said...

That looks FABULOUS!!!!

Cathy @Crayonsandbicycles.com said...

Definitely worth the wait. Is subtly gorgeous.

every day is a gift... said...

gor-ge-ous!!

Carmen said...

How cute is that??!!! Love it!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

These are super cute! Great job.

Shannon said...

I agree, perfect! It looks great!

jmberrygirl said...

Yes, absolutely perfect!

TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo said...

The lamp looks great! The shade is definitely the cherry on top, though. I adore the little flowers.

Tracy is ... Loving Pretty Things said...

Awesome, Wendy ... of course I'm not surprised at your creation - and that it is fabulous - you are so talented!

Hugs - Tracy.

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Roaring applause, confetti, fireworks!!! I am so stinkin' impressed. Way to go!!

P.S. I have a feeling our lives are equally glamorous. Only my glamorous life involved frozen pizza and a movie rental Saturday night that I ate and watched by my lonesome. Oh yes...the glamorous life :).

Sarah said...

what a great idea, very cute!

Kacey said...

Wow - it looks lovely! I love the little rosettes.

Esther said...

That lampshade turned out beautifully, It's definately the crowning glory. I don't know how you thunk up these things.

LuLu said...

ohhhhhhhhh love it! You are so talented! Have i told you lately how talented you are? let me tell you again! :)
xo,
LuLu

A Little Bit of Dreams said...

It's lovely! How pretty ans the rosettes just add such a nice touch :)

Sue said...

Adorable shade on a darling white lamp! Such a good eye....
Sue

Tiffany said...

Oh, Wendy. You did it again! I LOVE it! What a beauty! You completely transformed that funky lamp into a fabulous one! The rosettes are the perfect touch. If they work on a pillow, why not a lampshade. Genius! I must find a place to copy this wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica Hills said...

I love that lamp! I am going to do something like that for my little girl's room.

Katy said...

That's wonderful!

Jennifer Juniper said...

Awwww, it IS pretty!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love the lamp sprayed white. I did that with a chandelier that was in a similar style. It makes it look more sophisticated and less cutesy.

Astrid said...

What a sweet little lamp!

Kate said...

Beautiful!!

Dresser Girl said...

Oh my stars - I LOVE IT!!

julie said...

love it! it is perfect! i am so happy that my comment is one of your favs! its true! you do have an eye for pretty! keep it coming!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Very cute - it turned out great!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Ok... did I miss the tutorial on how to make those adorable roses?!?

What a lovely idea!!! It's a little bit rustic at the same time which I LOVE.

Donna

2sisters said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I have a lamp shade that I need to redo, and now I have an idea how to do it :) Thanks!!!

Sheri said...

That looks great! I Have a lamp I need to redo, problem is it has a crystal base. I wonder if I could paint that?

I have a linky party going on come on over and link up! http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/09/room-month-shade-tutorial.html

Mandy said...

Definitely pretty! Love the rosettes!

Amanda said...

perfecto!