8.21.2009

The Girls~

My little family and I had a wonderful vacation! We took a cross country drive to attend some family weddings. We enjoyed time spent with family and friends. Seeing people and doing things we've been missing.

But the very best part of this vacation for me? Seeing my little sis!

Have you ever wondered how it would feel if a part of you went missing? That's how I've felt for the past three years that she and I have been apart. It was too, too long to be away from one another.

Holly and I are only 20 months apart, and grew up acting more like twins than anything! When we both moved to opposite coasts, we didn't know how we would survive. But thanks to almost daily phone calls, blogging and emails, we did survive - barely! So you can't imagine how we felt to see one another again after so long!

Our little families met at a restaurant for lunch a day or so after getting in town, and what did Holly and I do? We hugged and cried our eyes out...and then laughed because neither of us expected to be quite so emotional!



The rest of the time we were together on our vacations was spent enjoying time with one another's children, eating at our favorite restaurants (way too much), laughing, and shopping OF COURSE!!

We actually do have other siblings...but they don't blog...so we're respecting their privacy...ha! Holly and I were always referred to (by our parents and our older siblings) as "the girls" and that's who we still are today. Seperate women, mommies, bloggers...but still "the girls"....and that will always be an important part of who we are.





xoxo
Wendy @ The Shabby Nest

24 comments:

Beverly said...

how sweet!

Sue said...

ahh..that's how my sis and I are too...opposite sides of Canada..but friends and sisters forever :-)

Kasey said...

welcome back girlie.
xo

Holly said...

ahhh...You seriously made me cry!! I haven't even done a post yet because I don't know where to start!! I really miss you, REALLY!! It's so bittersweet. :)


ps,...i oficially gained 4 lbs! pfffttt :p

Laura said...

What a sweet post-it brought tears to my eyes reading how happy the two of you were to see each other & spend time together. I'm glad you had such a good visit & got to spend treasured time with family.

Tiffany said...

That is so wonderful that you could spend some quality time with your sister. Sisters are the greatest. I was blessed with 2 of them! Love it!

Our really empty nest said...

Love this!!

Jodee Leader said...

What a sweet post for your sister. I always wanted a sister!

Suzann @ The Olive Cottage said...

wow! So many people blessed with wonderful sister bonds. Lovely photos.

Kathryn said...

Precious!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

How sweet! I am 3 years older than my sister, and we are growing closer. She was in the college/crazy party days, and now she's in the wedding planning phase...I'm hoping we'll continue to grow closer as she starts her own family. She lives far away too, so it's been hard.

Cute pictures!

Darlene said...

What a sweet, sweet post about you and your sister! I always thought that having a sister that is a best friend would be fabulous. But, no sisters for me :(

Embellish-Vintage Home Embellishments said...

What a blessing!

Candace said...

What a fun, sweet post! I cannot imagine not seeing my sister for 3 years. We live a days drive away from each other but we have been blessed to see each other at least once a year since she moved. How fun to spend time face-to-face with your best friend and sister!

arkie said...

Aren't sister's great!

Betsy said...

Nothing quite like a sister!

The Idaho Olsens said...

Those are great pictures of the two of you. I wish my sister and I were as close the two of you are. I really miss having someone like that in my life... Thanks for sharing.

LuLu & Co. said...

Welcome home!!! You were missed. SO happy you had this time with your sister!!! Beautiful pictures!!!
have a great weekend,
LuLu

Francis Family said...

I love your blog, so cute. I added a link from mine to yous if thats ok. Thanks! :)

PamperingBeki said...

This is the roughly the same age distance as my kids are, and I just love seeing their bond!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Welcome home! Glad you had a great trip. My younger sister and I are the youngest of eight kids. We are best best friends, live one street apart and are 20 months apart also. Our older siblings used to ALWAYS call us 'the little girls', now we are older and married we are just 'the girls'. We joke often, wondering when they will call us the 'old girls'.

Glitter and Bliss said...

Oh... I am so thrilled for you that you got to spend some quality time with your sis. You guys are so precious. I know you miss each other so much. You know I get the sister thing, and I can't imagine living far away from my sis. I am so glad that you have great ways to communicate on a daily basis. That will continue to get you through. :) So glad you had a wonderful vacation.

Amber said...

What a sweet gift to have a sister that you are so close to! Glad you got to enjoy a visit together! That's a great photo of the two of you.

tales from an oc cottage said...

How sweet! People are always so surprised that my sisters are my best friends...so sad for them! Thx for reminding me of how lucky I am... they are both right around the corner!

m ^..^