7.12.2009

Budget Decorating~



Today I'm joining the Price My Space party over at Nester's blog!

I'm proud to say my living room was decorated on a budget, and today I'm going to share it with you all!

1. My buffet was a great find at a local "antique" store. $125 refinished!

2. This pair of lamps was only $80 or so at one of the big home improvement stores.

3. All of the accessories on top of the buffet total about$200.

4. The frames above the buffet were $20 each at Target, and the artwork inside was free.

5. This mirror is a favorite of mine from a local home decor store and a steal at only $75.

6. The chair is Ektorp from IKEA. It cost $349 with the slipcover you see, but I purchased an additional white slipcover for only $29.

7. The pillows (and this price includes the ones on the sofa in the picture below were approximately $75 for all because I simply recovered existing pillows with new fabric.

8. The rug was $499 at one of the big home improvement stores. It is 8x10 feet and very thick...I love it! It felt like kind of a splurge, but for the size of the rug and the quality, the price was really quite reasonable.

Now for the other half of the room...

1. The Armoire was purchased at Target about 5 years ago for only $299. Someday it would be nice to have real wood, but for the time being, it looks good, and that's what counts.

2. The roman shades are also from Target and were $40 each...we spent $200 for the entire main floor (5 blinds.)

3. This great charcoal print was free....it pays to have a professional artist as a Father-in-law.

4. The accessories on top of the armoire total approximately $65. (TJMaxx and craft stores.)

5. The sofa is Ektorp from IKEA and cost $499 with an extra white slipcover for $49.

So the grand total for the entire room is $2624. Not bad considering everything was purchased over time. And I'll tell you that slipcovered furniture is definitely a plus with little people, and these Ektorp slipcovers wash up beautifully, and wont break the bank if you have to buy replacements (I would recommend buying an extra set anyway...really helps!) I've had the sofa and chair for 4 years now, and they are holding up really well structurally even with four rowdy kids who jump on the sofa despite what mom tells them.

Hope you enjoyed this little tour of my budget-friendly room! Have a great Monday~

30 comments:

Beachbrights said...

I am in love with #1!!

X0X0

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I was glad to read your review of the Ektorp! I've been eyeing them at the IKEA up the road from us. Your buffet looks so much bigger in the second picture. What a great piece! Visiting from The Nester's party. :)

Beachbrights said...

The buffet #1...Sorry, just noticed you had two #1s!!

XOXO

Emily said...

I love your color combo. Great accessories, too.

NicNacManiac said...

Lovely color scheme. I love the buffet in seafoam...gorgeous!!
Great job pulling this fabulous look together for a great price!!
Hugs, Nerina :)

Patricia said...

Very nice & welcoming and the room looks so cozy!
Great job for that price too!
You have a great eye for what you like!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Wendy, I enjoy EVERY tour you give us of your beautiful home, and this one was especially enjoyable! I LOVE the rug, the colors are beautiful. The buffet is to. die. for.

Amy said...

Great space!! I'm glad you mentioned the Ektorp pieces, since I've been considering them. Nicely decorated room!

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

I love, love, love that buffet! And, you're so right: slipcovers = lifesavers!

me said...

oh, the buffet! (swoon)

The Neppers said...

Yup, definitely lovin' the buffet.

Reese & Marie said...

Love it, it looks great!

Embellished Bayou said...

Great space, thanks for sharing! I love the buffet too!

Leslie said...

framed prints are so cute!

Please check out my blog if you have a minute.

We're helping Natalie's Peace of Mind Fund

www.creativecrafting08.blogspot.com

Our Complete Family said...

I love your room breakdown. It is great to see how you did it all! What a well pulled together space you have that is full of awesome ideas!
Happy week ahead~ Les

LuLu & Co. said...

I loved this! How fun! Knowing what was paid and how you put all the pieces together... love it!
great shopping! and now has me needing to make a trip to ikea! great deals!
and I must mention you have wonderful taste! :)
xo,
LuLu

A Bushel and Peck and Pigtails Paper Trails said...

beautiful room and so clean. I couldn't gather all of the polly pocket pieces everywhere fast enough to take pics of my living room for today :) yours is so clean--I am jealous!

do it yourselfer said...

great buffet! and we live by slipcovers here!

Brenda said...

Oh yes, the buffet is the real prize here in my opinion! The room is beautiful with all your furnishings. And why didn't they have these easy slipcovers that actually seem to fit when my daughters were kids? The ones you could then were horrid.
Brenda

JW said...

Love your ideas and beautiful photos too. I just wrote a blog today about "Budget DIY Room Makeover". Hope you like it.
http://bit.ly/JQoNo

The Coolest Steve you know said...

What a clever idea!! I love love love decorating on a budget. You always feel so accomplished when you are done. LOVIN the buffet!

Kasey said...

gotta love ikea!!!
xo

Kristin said...

Pretty room! It definitely helps to keep an eye on deals over a period of time before decorating a room. You did a lovely job.

sharon said...

Love your living room!!! Great advice for those on a budget, like me!! It's super nice, you do a great job at everything. BTW, I really love the post on the custom bedskirt, I really think I might have to try that!! Just love your style!

daylilylane said...

Beeeeeeeeautiful! Very crisp and clean feeling. I'd want to be there. Great job!

Richella said...

Your room is beautiful! It looks great, and it looks as if it feels great as well--know what I mean? Very comfortable, very inviting, very much "home." Good job!

Stephanie said...

gorgeous room!

DolceBaci said...

Wow! Everything looks amazing!

Abbie said...

I really like your room. I like that the TV isn't the focal point of the room, and I just love your mirror. That was the very first thing that caught my eye. Over from the Nester, nice job! Abbie

Marie said...

Love your room Wendy! Especially that buffet - so fabulous. Great finds. Thank you for sharing!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com