6.12.2009

Tomorrow For Sure~

I bet you thought I'd never get around to talking about home staging. Can you believe that I'm actually going to start today? That's because I'm a big believer in photos...and my house has been in a complete shambles for the past several days while the Hubby and I repainted the entire main floor. But now that it's put back together, I have some pics to share!

Since I had to move everything to paint anyway, I took the opportunity to declutter and depersonalize.
Those two "d" words are two of the cardinal rules of home staging.

Decluttering actually helps your home to feel larger. But you want to avoid the stark feeling of a furniture showroom...you know what I mean...nice furniture, no personality! You need to walk a fine line between having too much "stuff" around, and not having enough. My rule is to remove about 1/3 of the stuff you have lying around. This includes family photos.

That brings us to Depersonalizing. Here again, a fine line needs to be walked. The Hubby is a photographer...we have lots of amazing family photos around our house...mostly because I can't decide which ones I like the best and I have a difficult time "editing". But for the sake of selling my home, I took almost all of them down. Notice I used the word "almost". Let's get real here people...those who come to look at your home realize that a family lives there. They expect to see at least some sign of human life...in my house that equals photographs. I have one portrait of each child up on the wall in my living room. I don't think they will keep anyone from buying my house. Now I know someone out there will try and contradict me on this...but I'll stand my ground. Depersonalize, but do NOT dehumanize. "Nuff said.

Today, I want to share some photos of my "staged" dining area.


We neutralized the color scheme in here. We painted the walls the same color as they were before (Cathedral Gray by Ralph Lauren)...they were in dire need of touch ups. I love the calming whites and beiges with a touch of black for accent. And hanging the drapes all the way up to the ceiling really enlarged the space.

We also took one of the leaves out of our dining table to help the space seem larger. (We can still all fit around the table, it's just a little cozier than before.)

I removed my bay window cushion but still added a few pillows for softness. All in all, a job well done!

Join me Monday for the living room~

38 comments:

Michelle@Fromhousetohome said...

Hi Wendy, you did a great job staging your room! It looks clean and clutter free. I do agree about the photos. When I was a real estate agent I never had a client not purchase a home because it had too many pictures of the family! The biggest thing I would get comments on was usually paint colors. A lot of people have a very difficult time seeing past a homeowners paint choice. You did a great job with the neutral!
~Michelle

melissa said...

It looks so serene and calm~I love what you did. Okay, and you can't show a gorgeous paint color like that and not tell us the name! :) Oh, and congrats on your feature!!

Mrs. W said...

nice work! i'm a photographer too, and currently our house is one the market, the hardest part for me was doing the "depersonalization." :)

Centsational Girl said...

Oh my, that's lovely. Your color choices are impeccable. That room can sell your house !

~Carole said...

It looks great! When I sold our home, it was really hard for me to depersonalize. I'll be staging my parents' house soon, and I know it will be tough on them, too.

Congrats on the published feature!

Flax and Spindle said...

How beautiful...it's so wide open. I just love it!

Christy said...

Wow it looks beautiful! Classy and fresh. I'm sure you won't have any problems getting a buyer.

Melanie said...

Very nice!

Amy said...

Two great tips, we did the same when we sold 2 years ago. New home buyers want to see/imagine a blank slate, something THEY can personalize, yet still feel homey when they walk in for the first time.

Laura said...

Your dining room looks beautiful & cozy! I envy the lucky person who buys your gorgeous house!

TheOldPostRoad said...

Looks great! With the neutral tones you used, it helps the eye look out those large windows to God's beautiful earth! Smart. I have the same light fixture over my table, btw.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Looks great! :) I used to work with a Realtor and those were all things she used to tell clients. The ones who listened had quick sales. :)

Kasey said...

I think it's amazing that people actually never take the time to step back and de-clutter.
You home will sell in a heartbeat!
xo

Kara said...

It is just gorgeous! Looks even better than a room straight from "Design to Sale". Maybe even better! You should have no trouble selling.

southerninspiration said...

Okay, who would NOT want to buy your gorgeous house??? I love all that you did, and surely you will have a quick sale!!!

Suzanne

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Your dining space looks beautiful! I love the centerpiece, and the pillows on the windowseat really "make" that space seem cozy and useable! Who wouldn't want to just move right in?!! :)

I totally agree with your staging "d's"! It makes a HUGE difference! It worked for us, we just sold our house, whoo-hoo! Here's hoping and praying that yours sells quickly as well, I just know it will :)!

Glitter and Bliss said...

Can I buy it???? I love you dining room. It looks so inviting!!

Rebekah said...

I love the numbers on your chair backs! I may have to hunt around our house for a chair to do that with. Of course, I realize numbered chairs are not at all the point of this post... thanks for the staging tips! This is something I'm very interested in, although we have no intention of selling our home at this time.

Carmen said...

Looks great! Good luck selling!

Rose Charles said...

it looks great - i am sure you will have no trouble selling!

Rose XXX

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Perfect! It's not only neutral and uncluttered, but it's fashionable (for lack of a better word). I can imagine someone walking in there and feeling like they'd be buying a fashionable, well decorated house(even though the stuff doesn't come with it). I hope that makes sense.

I absolutely love your dining room!

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Ok - I have to tell you. I had to come back and look at your dining room again. I just can't get it out of my head. It's so soothing, and warm, and inviting. I thought you'd like to know that it made an impression :-).

Have a great weekend!

Montee said...

Thanks for sharing these tips. We are going to try to sell our home next year. I had heard you should "depersonalize" but I'm with you on not overdoing it.

melissa said...

So, it's the same color as the kitchen, I guess I should have known that :) Thanks, Wendy! I just feel for you with all of your moving tasks with 4 kids! Have a good weekend~

Cristin@Serendipity said...

We are just about 6-8 months behind you...Good luck with all you have to do!

LuLu said...

It is perfect! So soft and beautiful. Love all the touches you have made,
LuLu

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Very nice.

Embellish-Vintage Home Embellishments said...

Your home is beautiful. Don't know why you would want to move but I hope it is for something great!

Elyse said...

very pretty and very wendy.

xo

Holly said...

It is nw 12:04 AM your time on Sunday.........HAPPY BIRTHDAY big sis!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope it is a wonderful one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol Ann said...

The reason I tell clients to put away childrens pictures is that you do not want people to know what they look like...you truely never know who is looking through your home, If you want it homey replace their pictures with their artwork framed...I believe it is always smart to be safe with our childrens identity...

Kendra said...

Happy Birthday, Wendy! And good luck with all you are undertaking! I know it must be a stressful time, but it looks like you are handling things beautifully!

Teresa said...

I love it- I have gleaned many an idea from your site- thanks for the help.
Have a wonderful day
Blessings
Teresa

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday! I found you from Holly's blog, and just popped over to say today is my birthday too! Sorry you are having to think about selling your house on your birthday *yuck*

Hope you had a great one!

Ms. Tee said...

So pretty - I love all of the neutrals. So calming!

Sarah said...

Happy Belated Birthday? How old are you? I just turned 32 yesterday. I love your gifts, just adorable!

Congratulations on your win at the nester! Yay!!!

Tiffany said...

The house looks absolutely gorgeous...wish I could buy it! : ) I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling and your hard work will pay off! Nice job!

Emma said...

Your room looks great! I was wondering where did you get your chandelier. I love it! Thanks