6.16.2009

Curb Appeal~

It doesn't matter how much work you put into the interior of your home if people don't like the exterior, you've probably already lost them. Curb appeal is very important when it comes to selling a home.



I didn't have much of a budget to perk up the exterior of my home. So here are my low cost/no cost tips to spruce up your curb appeal.


1. Mow your lawn. Duh. Nothing is more unappealing than a lawn full of weeds. If your home is on the market you are probably going to want to mow your lawn a little more often than usual. (Keep in mind that if you live in a dry climate you'll want to make sure you keep your lawn sufficiently watered if you're cutting it often otherwise you'll end up with a brown lawn which is almost as bad as one full of weeds.)

2. Take care of your landscaping. I have a lot of planting beds around my home. I didn't have a budget for new mulch etc. But what I did do was rearrange some of my perrennials so my flower beds looked fuller and balanced. Then the day of a showing, I always rake my planter beds to loosen up the soil and make it look a little darker, more moist and more like mulch.


3. Paint your doors or any trim that may need it. You don't need to change the color, but a fresh coat of paint makes everything look crisper.


4. Add some color. Hanging plants, new flowers in your beds, potted flowers on your doorstep. These things make your home look inviting and say "come on in!" I did invest in some new hanging flowers for the stakes on either side of my front door. They add just the right pop of color!




Have a great day~

23 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wendy, those exterior lights I must have! Would you mind sharing where you got them from?

I hope you do well! Your staging efforts are lovely!

Donna

Sandy Toes said...

Such a cute house...I love the side porch!
sandy toe

Rose Charles said...

your house looks beautiful :-)

The new plants outside the door look great!

Rose XXX

The Brewers said...

Your house is so cute!!!

And I am not sure about where you live, but our city offers FREE mulch! Yup...FREE!!!! They grind up the yard waste collected, then just give it away. All you have to do is load it up! So you might just ask your city if your not sure. Just a thought...

Rachel

Analia and Co. said...

Love the look of those plants outside. Very cute!

Tia said...

We are about to put our house on the market too and it is stressful! Will be following to see what you do!

Oh! And my aunt LOVED the birdies!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hey Funky Junk...we got the lights at one of the big home improvement stores, but I'm not positive if it was Home Depot or Lowe's. I'm guessing HD though.

Hey Tia...so glad you Aunt loved them!!!

Lindy said...

Wendy, you are so talented. Your house is adorable! I wish you all the best of luck in selling your home.

Elisabeth Marie said...

thnaks- really does look good.

Amy in CA said...

Wendy,

I love your blog! Your home is so cute....why are you selling?

Amy

delightfuldwelling said...

Your house is beautiful, I don't remember seeing a picture of the outside before. I just did a post today on adding curb appeal on our house although we are not moving. Your living room is gorgeous too, I love that color.

Glitter and Bliss said...

Absolutely precious!!! So New England....

Sarah said...

What a beautiful home! I bet it will be hard to leave it.

Darlene said...

Your home looks beautiful....I predict you have a quick sell!!

Kasey said...

keeping my fingers {and toes} crossed.
xo

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great tips! If we were in the market, I know I'd snap up your house. (Does your listing mention the feature in BH&G?) ;) ;)

Adrienne said...

i think it is so pretty and charming too. great and helpful hints.

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi Amanda: OF COURSE our realtor jumped at the chance to mention BHG! Now hopefully the people that come look at the house will care. ;-)

Victoria said...

Wendy, your house is so pretty and you are doing a wonderful job of staging! I've enjoyed seeing the pictures.

By the way, I love the new botanical prints you put in the living room!

Elyse said...

hi wendy,

i hope it is all going well. i'm sure all of your efforts will be worth the while. good luck!

xo

LuLu said...

It is just darling!!
LuLu

its so very cheri said...

My hubby is the lawn guy-was a area manager for a lawn care company-way back when he was in college. He says you should set your mower on the highest setting. Cutting your grass too short will make it burn up quicker and not have that nice thick plush carpet like grass-I know grass is different everywhere-but if you have midwest grass -- don't cut it too short. We had the most plush, soft, loved to walk through the grass with bare feet when we lived in the Midwest. Hope that helps some of you. If you edge everything along the curb and driveway it gives it a much nicer look.

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi It's so Very Cheri..thanks for the input. I've heard that too.