5.04.2009

The Power of Paint...Stripes Save the Day~

First, I wanted to start by thanking you all for your wonderful and supportive comments about my boys and their Alpha-1. I am amazed by all the brave and wonderful mothers out there in blogland who deal with similar difficulties. All three boys go for their 6 month checkups at Children's Hospital in a couple of weeks and we're hoping for good numbers on their bloodwork. Thank you for all your prayers on their behalf.

Second, my camera should be repaired within about a week and a half, and the projects have been building up like crazy around here, so look forward to bunches of new (and hopefully inspiring) posts when good old Olivia Jayne (yes, I named my camera) returns from her absence!

And now on to the decorating stuff...I shared part of this post over at Blissfully Domestic back in September, but it bears repeating so I hope you all enjoy...


This room is shared by my three boys. It is long and rather narrow. In order to create a sense that the room was wider, (so that three beds didn’t seem too overwhelming) we added this large horizontal white stripe about 2/3 of the way up the wall around the entire room. Since there is only a single stripe, it causes the eye to follow it from side to side around the room creating the illusion of width. It also gives the eye an easy resting place that is at the perfect height to display art.



In the Princess' room, the stripes serve three (yes THREE!) purposes. The first is to add “architectural” interest. At first glance, the stripes look almost like columns and create the illusion that the ceiling is higher than it is. The second purpose of the stripes is to incorporate her desire for a multicolored room. Call it creative parenting. She requested a pink, purple and blue room. The idea of these stripes was inspired by a striped grosgrain ribbon. It incorporated all of the requested colors without being unbearable. And the final purpose is to make small art pieces seem substantial. The little shadow box frames are given instant punch by placing them on the stripes. A lot of bang for the buck. And it was all painted in less than an hour!


And here's a little painting tip for stripes...once you have your stripes taped off, "seal" the tape by painting over the edges with the same color as the main wall. Let the base color dry thoroughly before painting the stripe color. This will keep the stripe color from "bleeding" under the tape and will create cleaner edges!


Now go get painting~

22 comments:

Sue said...

Love the rooms! I have a star just like that in antiqued red in my kitchen! Especially as I got it for a steal at Winners (your TJMax I think) in the States) I love it!!

Tracy is ... Loving Pretty Things said...

I LOVE THIS - Wendy, you've done it again. It is so creative, so classic and so beautiful!

I LOVE YOUR EYE!!

xo

Diane @ Four Paws and Co said...

Great post! When I work up the energy to paint our little office, I'm going to paint horizontal stripes! Hmmm, now where'd I put my energy to start the project??? ☺ Diane

Darlene said...

I remember seeing the rooms before and they are gorgeous!!!

Joanna said...

That tip is brilliant! I've never thought of that. That's a great idea for stenciling, too!

mindingmomma said...

WE have some painting coming up this summer and the stripes that mimc ribbon are a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Kasey said...

I love the boys room.
hands down.
xo

LuLu & Co. said...

stripes are my favorite! Your boys room is wonderful thanks for the paint tip... i promised my girls who share a room stripes this summer!
have a great Monday,
LuLu

Pam said...

Love this! I am a huge fan of stripes and did them in my laundry room. I didn't know about painting the edges of the tape with the base coat paint color then, though. DARNIT! That would have made my stripes much cleaner. Thanks for the tip!

Shannon said...

Your kid's rooms are adorable!

Ms. Tee said...

These rooms are great, Wendy - I love the boys' room so much. And what a clever way to include all the "requested colors" in your little girl's room. Perfect! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

VERY nice!!! You can tell you put so much thought and hard work into your children's rooms. I am waiting to decorate girl #2's room (blushing) b/c I am hoping to move them in together in the next 6 months or so and would have to redecorate anyways. Great post! :)

Heather said...

I love the horizontal stripe -- how do you get it so level and straight? Did you use a level? A laser level? Is there a trick to it? Would love a step by step on that one...

Holly said...

You make it sound so easy,...well guess what sister...:):). You always decorate so beautifully!!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Heather - Good idea....maybe I'll do a tutorial soon!

Carolyne said...

Fabulous job! Beautiful color combination! So talented!

Janis said...

Great job with the stripes.........I recently painted some for my daughter's room.......although it didn't turn out quite so pretty

(you can see the results here:
http://homehappinesshealth.blogspot.com/2009/04/paint-line.html )

yours look fantastic!!!

The Davidson Den said...

Oh, my goodness!!! Your kids' rooms are like something out of a magazine!!

Twinlinebackers said...

Gorgeous. Question though. How did you paint 3 stripe colors in an hour if you also had to wait for the extra base coat on the tape to dry? Seems like with all that drying time it would have taken many hours, not one.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I love the sealing tip, thanks!

Claire said...

Hi, I know this is an old post but I love the idea of using a couple of stripes in a room. Can you give me the width of the stripes you used - both the wider one and two smaller ones?

Thanks a lot!

Claire said...

Hi, I know this is an old post but I love the idea of using a couple of stripes in a room. Can you give me the width of the stripes you used - both the wider one and two smaller ones?

Thanks a lot!