5.08.2009

Frugal Friday~

I know you all have seen this picture about 100 times, but for today's Frugal Friday, I wanted to share my boys' upholstered headboards. Let's face it, headboards can be expensive, but they really give a room a deliberate, decorated look. So what's a girl with Frugal OCD (Obsessively Consumed with Decorating) to do?



When we moved into our house two years ago, I was faced with the decorating dilemma of putting three boys in one room. I knew that I wanted the two beds that would be in the room to match (no, we didn't make Mr. Three sleep on the floor...he's still in a crib), and I knew that I wanted them to look more timeless and sophisticated than cutesy. But I couldn't spend a lot of money.


Then I hit on the idea of upholstering my own headboards.




Here's the process in a nutshell...


What you need:



  • Get yourself some plywood...figure out how tall you want the headboards to be, and cut the plywood to size. If you don't have the tools at home, they can do this for you right at the home store or lumber yard.


  • Get yourself some batting...


  • Get yourself some fabric...the fabric I chose was only about $4.99/yd at JoAnn's. (Trick is to find inexpensive fabric that just looks pricey.)


  • Get yourself a staplegun.


Process:



  • I know people who will tell you to use spray adhesive and affix the batting to the plywood before adding the fabric. Not this girl! Nope. I just wrapped the batting around the plywood and stapled it on the back. Then I did the same with the fabric making nice hospital corners. In my case, I also wrapped the fabric all the way up the back so that it completely covered all the plywood... this is not necessary, however.




  • I wanted a touch more sophistication for my headboards so I added these great monograms. This was as easy as cutting the letters out of white felt and adding them to the headboards with fabric adhesive. Easy Peasy!



    Two headboards for under $40 is what I call a deal!


    Have a great weekend~

    28 comments:

    2 Little Irish Boys said...

    I took the same concept and made bulletin boards in my boys room using coordinating fabric to match drapes and pillows! It is easy peasy!1

    Jill said...

    Great deal! AND I never get tired of the picture :)
    -Jill

    Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

    Oh Wendy - they are fabulous. Great job!! My boys room is UGLY! All the want in there are posters....oh well. I can have fun with the girls room. :)

    Ms. Tee said...

    $40, that's amazing! Great job :)

    Reese & Marie said...

    Something that fabulous bears repeating. Amazing job!

    Mandy said...

    beautiful x

    Teresa said...

    Wendy- love it-
    Now I need to get brave enough to make one- or two :}
    Thanks for the lesson. One question how did you attach it to the wall?

    TheOldPostRoad said...

    Amazing! Looks Great!

    A Touch of Country said...

    They look wonderful! Can't beat the price either!

    Cindy said...

    Thanks for your great idea! Now I know what to do with the UGLY headboard on the bed in our office/guest room. I can hardly wait to get home to the US and get to work on it.
    Cindy in Marseille

    Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

    Love. it. :)

    Misti of Studio M Designs said...

    Hey Wendy, I do love the high headboards! I want to make one out of corrugated metal for my son's skateboard room. Of course he will need big fluffy pillows so he can lead on it without hurting his head I suppose... Great tutorial!

    ~Misti

    Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

    Misti...your comment made me giggle. I think a metal headboard would be the ultimate in teen cool, however!

    Nice and Easy Antiques said...

    That IS a deal! Great, inexpensive project!

    Embellish-Vintage Home Embellishments said...

    I think the headboards turned out terrific. I like the fact that they gave a little sophistication to a little boy(s) room. I am actually in the process of making one for my bedroom and this was the motivation I needed to get it done. Thanks for you lovely blog!

    Queen B. said...

    L O V E , L O V E .....IT !!

    Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

    Those headboards are great!! They look incredible, and the style is timeless. My girls also share a room, and love it! I think it's good for encouraging a great sibling bond! I also chose furniture that will last them until they leave our nest :)! I've been wanting to do an upholstered headboard for our guest room, and this now looks much easier than I thought! :) Thanks!!

    Jade Creative said...

    Hi Wendy,
    Your post inspired me to show my own shabby headboard. I've made a link to your site.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Darlene

    Marie said...

    Really love the stripes. I'm embarking on an adventure to re-do my girls' room. Going with a beach theme and you've inspired me to try some stripes!
    Blessings,
    Marie @ http://emmacallsmemama.com

    Joy said...

    Awesome idea. Love yours boys room!

    LuLu said...

    fabulous!!!! brilliant!!! and I love it! I must make a headboard!!!
    have a great weekend,
    LuLu

    Saucy said...

    Not just a deal, a pretty big deal. I am glad you posted them again just to remind us.

    I have always tried to fashion headboards out of other things I can find, including mismatched footboards from the back room at the furniture store! Just make some sort of invisible legs or raise it up somehow and attach right to the wall!

    Angie said...

    Those headboards are awesome! I saw your closet in Creative Home and knew it was yours because I had seen it on your blog. I was like, hey I know her! Congrats!!!

    4under3 said...

    I am a "subscriber" of yours and am pretty sure I've never commented before. (Shame on me, I know.) But I have to say, that I'll never get sick of looking at your boys' room. I love this room, so clean and sleek, yet young and fun.

    I would love to do headboards like this at our house. Out of curiosity, could you tell me how tall your headboards are?

    Thanks.
    Tiff

    Torch Lake Prep said...

    This makes me want new headboards, even though I love the ones we have!

    Jen r. said...

    I love them! congrats on your feature from your earlier post! happy Mother's Day! Jen

    Farmgirl Paints said...

    I love resorceful crafty women who blog. Glad I found your site. Very cool project.

    kari and kijsa said...

    Fabulous!! This is an amazing!
    Happy Mother's Day blessings,
    kari & kijsa