4.30.2009

Glass Bead Magnets~


This is a post from my Archives. Originally posted back in July of last year. But I thought it was worth sharing again. I just love a tutorial~

Here's a fun and easy project. (Great for doing with the kiddos.)


You will need:

Glass beads: I like the large (1-1 1/2") size but you can use any size. I found mine in Target in the flowers and vases section. A whole bag only cost $4.99!

Scrapbook paper: or in the case of the bee magnets, I drew the image myself and photocopied it...shrank it, enlarged it etc. And the toile magnets are made with pieces of fabric...I love TOILE! And have I mentioned before how much I love BEES?

Scissors

Mod Podge: Of course!

Magnets: I use the round ones you can find at any craft store.

Hot Glue: To glue the magnets on the back.


The way I actually made them is by cutting the paper (or fabric) into squares just larger than the beads.

I put Mod Podge on the flat side of the bead and centered the image just where I wanted it (you can see the image even when the Mod Podge is not dry.)

I didn't put a coat of Mod Podge on the back of the paper although you certainly could, but I did coat the back of the fabric with Mod Podge.

After the Mod Podge was sufficiently dry, I cut around the edge of the bead trimming the paper (or fabric) as close as I could.

Then I hot glued on the magnets.

VOILA!

I have seen them made by layering on different papers etc. which can make them much fancier, but I usually make them with my kiddos and so try to keep it as simple as possible.

These are also really fun to make into push pins. Simply use a smaller sized glass bead and hot glue flat headed push pins to the back instead of magnets. Easy Peasy~

Happy Crafting~

23 comments:

Melissa W said...

Wonderful idea Wendy! I've been wanting some of these for my daughter's room but couldn't find ones that matched as well as I would like and now I can make my own! Thank you for the wonderful tip :P

~Melissa

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I made some of these last year as well and they were so fun. I'll have to show mine...if I can only find them. :) They never got the magnets put on, we stopped at the cute stuff.

Stacia Howard said...

Cute! I know what my 9 yr and I will be doing this weekend! Thanks for the idea! :)

Rose Charles said...

Thanks for sharing this!
I will have to remember it for when my daughter is a bit older - not sure I want her getting too close to my glue gun just yet!
But they look lovely :-)

Rose XXX

Kasey said...

i love making these with vintage sheet music!
xo

LuLu & Co. said...

I have always!!!!! wanted to know how to make these! thanks for help! :)
LuLu

Darlene said...

I remember those and they are just so cute and easy too!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Thank you for sharing this cute and easy idea!

Torch Lake Prep said...

This is perfect timing. My daughter's b-day party next Friday night and it's "Arts & Crafts" this will be great for the girls. Off to Target!

Amanda.Sedeno said...

super cute! I did this a while back and my daughter loved it. I got my rocks from the Dollar Tree, they were just the right size. I also printed out mini faces of our family and letters to spell out words. It looked really cute!! It was great that it was super cheap too!

Mel W-K said...

Thanks! I've been wondering how to do this. So glad I popped in.

Crystal said...

I just love your blog, it is so full of ideas. Your mind must be constantly thinking of new things. Love all of your creativity.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge.

Angie said...

Great project! Thanks for sharing!

TidyMom said...

Thanks for the reminder! I keep wanting to make these and I alway forget to pick up the glass beads!!

~TidyMom

Junie Moon said...

Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial on making these. I think they're so very pretty and useful, too.

Montee said...

Coool!

Black on White said...

These are so fine!
Thanks for sharing this tutorial.

Amy Anderson said...

LOVE! Very fun - projects that are that cute and easy are great. If you like Mod Podge, then I hope you will like my blog!

Cheers,

Amy

http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com

Jess said...

First of all...I think your blog is Shab-tastic! I made these for Christmas presents last year and they were a huge hit. They are fun and easy to make....and addictive. I couldn't stop!!!!!

MaRiN said...

I've actually made som many of these I don't know what to do with them! lol!

I've left you an award on my blog-

MaRiN

Ms. Tee said...

So cute - love the bumblebees! (I'm getting caught up on with everyone - I've had internet issues for the last two weeks and have missed everything, I think!)

The American Homemaker said...

I haven't made these in a while. I should do some with my kids.

Tamara Hudson said...

HELP! I want to make these magnets as Christmas gifts... I want to use MY PICTURES instead of fabric or paper prints...but at what size should I print the pictures??? Thanks for suggestions! : )