4.10.2009

Frugal Friday~

Frugal Friday really struck a chord with my readers! I'm glad. I think it's important to be able to create a warm, cozy environment for our families, but to be budget conscious at the same time. (Well, actually, the budget conscious part isn't just important, it's totally necessary!)

One of the easiest ways I've found to make something look finished and intentional in decorating is to add fabric. Now before you go thinking that adding fabric is adding $$, let me give you a few ideas. If you're anything like me, and you probably are if you are reading this blog, you enjoy changing out your decor every once in a while. My advice is to hold on to old curtains, or tablecloths, or sheets when you move on to something else. They almost inevitably come in handy.



Of course, if you don't have a stash of old curtains, you can pick up fabric inexpensively by purchasing remnants or using your coupons...(JoAnn's always has good coupons!) All of this said, let me show you today's Frugal OCD (Obsessively Consumed with Decorating) project.


This is my closet-home-office I mentioned in Tuesday's post. The picture is cut in close because the closet is still missing drywall (just keeping it real). Until it is finished I have this little table that fits right inside and holds my antique computer and printer. Under the table was looking pretty junky with the mammoth hard drive and speakers that this ancient computer uses. So I decided to cover it up! I used less than two yards of this great fabric and simply staple gunned it to the apron of the table, pleating it every 8 inches or so. Easy peasy...and much better looking than the mess underneath!
Have Frugal Friday decorating ideas? Let me know!

And before I go...my fabulous and amazing bloggy friend Kasey is hosting an incredible giveaway to celebrate her 200th post. Hop over and congratulate her!

Have a great weekend and a happy Easter~

28 comments:

Jane said...

Well, since you asked...
My most frugal and space saving idea was for my headboard. I hung a curtain rod and I hang my extra bedspread on it. I change the bedspread seasonally so the extra is the headboard.

The secret is the pool noodle that makes it all work.

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

I love that fabric you used for the skirt! And there's that great pillow again...ahhh temptation :).

Have a great weekend!

Laura said...

Love it! It's always nice to hide the "undesirables" of electronics! Have a happy Easter!

Joanna said...

If you visit my blog you'll see a super frugal headboard idea! I think I may have actually done it on a Friday... earning me bonus points right? ;0)

Laura said...

oh - forgot to leave my frugal tip. I had some old sheets that were blue & white striped. There are no doors on one of the closets in our little guys rooms - we made a toy nook in there for them. It needed curtains so I used the old sheets. It was a no-sew project - just a tension rod & some fabric glue. A new life for the sheets!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Cute fabric!!! I have been looking everywhere for a good desk for my crafty stuff, but can't find anything decent. This gives me ideas!!! :)

I started my 100th post Giveaway yesterday...hope you can swing by. :)

Sandy Toes said...

Very cute and pretty...I love the bird pillow with the crown! That is perfect.
sandy toe

Hadley said...

thanks for the tip! I'm going to hide my computer junk today!

I save my old curtains too...I just used part of one to make backseat orgaizers for my car!

Kasey said...

what a lovely idea. i love using my little anthro towels as little curtains, but i don't think that would be considered "frugal".
xo

Melissa said...

Seriously Wendy, I need you at my house! We need major decorating help!!!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I have repurposed fabric in SOOO many ways. I can't stand to throw it away and even the scraps come in handy! Love to use fabric - great post.

The Graves' House said...

i can't thank you enough for posting these pictures! i've been trying to explain to hubby what i wanted to do in our office/guest room with the closet and this is it! the fabric is such a nice touch. thanks!

Carmen said...

I seriously WANT that bird pillow! :) I have to come up with a way to fit THAT into my budget. Good idea with the fabric.

Darlene said...

I LOVE your decorating ideas. That looks so CUTE covering the mess below! That pillow is just TOO cute!

SILVIA said...

this is what i call a great idea!!!!!,it looks great ,love the fabric...way to go,must say you are very creative girl....happy easter ....
silvia.

Rebecca P said...

What a great idea, thank you. I have always hated those ugly cords, I'm going to go look in my stash for some pretty fabric to do your tip.
Rebecca P

Shannon said...

Oooh, I can't wait to see the finished office. That fabric is so cute!

Elise said...

I heart this so much!! I have been wanting to get my computer downstairs and out of the loft area. I am so gonna do this in my coat closet.
Happy Easter!!
Elise

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Love fabric, it always fixes everything! Your pillow is awesome!
~Misti

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Of course you know i LOVE, LOVE your little bird pillow. So cute!!! Thanks for the heads up on the giveaway. And I'm anxious to see what you do with the lovely bird shower curtain.
I just posted some more crown love last night. : )
Have a wonderful Easter weekend.

Forever Vintage said...

I've been wanting to do the same to my computer desk for awhile now. You may have just inspired me..it looks great.

Holly said...

I love it. I have been thinking of doing this to my own desk so that I can hide food storage under it. Great minds!! ;)

Talita from the Anna and Rose Team said...

Love your ideas thanks so much for sharing! Beautiful pictures.

My favorite frugal idea? Spray paint. It solves all my problems :) Seriously, for a buck a can you can breathe new life into just about anything that includes my baseboards. I always have a can on hand, scratch by the kids? Others despair, not me, I have spray paint, like a fairy and her magic wand it makes everything new.

BTW, we are doing frugal home decor projects, too! Check them out: annaandrose.blogspot.com Would you maybe want to be a guest on our blog?

Robyn said...

cute idea!

LuLu said...

Loving this Frugal idea. I have a frugal tip and now I realize I haven't posted it yet... but I me tell you what I did... I used my husbands old terry cloth robe to upholster a seat in our master bathroom... i'll be sure to show it next week! Happy Easter,
LuLu

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Pretty Organized Palace has raved about you, so wanted to make sure I didn't miss a thing. :) Following you now.

Heidi said...

I have the same "mess under the computer table" problem. I've wanted to cover it up with fabric, but I've been worried about all the computer cords and potentially hot computer stand. Do you think there is any fire danger? I really want to try that!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Love the fabric, and a great idea to pass on! Ever consider making Frugal friday a linky party? :)