3.23.2009

Spring Spruce-up Week...a winner...and other stuff~




Welcome to the first day of Spring Spruce-up Week at the Shabby Nest!!! Today our Springiest of Spring topics is Spring Cleaning! Stop that! I can see you rolling your eyes. I've got some interesting stuff for you all here...including some tips I bet you've never heard before. (And besides, somewhere in this post, I'll announce the winner of my Etsy drawing.)
So here we go...
For most of us Spring Cleaning is not exactly something we look forward to. It's a necessity. One of those things that we need to do to keep our homes in tip-top shape. But, the end result can certainly make you smile. For instance the closet where I keep my cleaning supplies was looking a little worse for wear. (The Hubby has somewhat of an OCD obsession with purchasing cleaning products.) Here is the before... Yikes, I know. Notice my poor sewing machine...it was feeling a little out of place...




But in about fifteen minutes... I had a garbage bag full of empty bottles, I had relocated out of place items like sunscreen (???) and Stingeze (???) and my poor sewing machine, and I had divided like items and placed them in these pretty little baskets that I got at the Dollar Store. Really. Then I added some hang tags to each basket, so my short little self could see what was in the basket without having to get a stepstool...that took another 5 minutes. So the whole project took 20 minutes and $7. Not bad. And now I get a smile when I see bright blue baskets in my boring beige closet! (Almost makes me want to clean the bathroom...almost.)

So on to some of the tips I promised...
1. Use Spring cleaning time as a chance to change out batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors (you can do the same in September around the first day of fall...or when the clocks change back.)
2. Make sure you wash down your walls...they get a lot dirtier than you think. Or, if you are like my hubby, repaint the entire interior of the house, and patch every hole with spackle...but leave the spackle there for a week so that your spouse can get sufficiently sick and tired of the polk-a-dots and will really appreciate the new paint. ;-)
3. Freshen your garbage disposal. Yes, sometimes our garbage disposals get bad breath. Use a little bit of baking soda and dish soap and scrub. Then run some citrus rinds through the disposal for a nice fresh scent.
4. If you like "green" cleaning products...try making your own glass cleaner by mixing vinegar and water in a spray bottle. (This works best if you use newspaper to wipe the windows rather than a rag.)
5. And here is a tip I bet you haven't heard...if you have brown stains inside your dishwasher, they are probably due to rust. There are expensive products out there that can remove the stains, but try this first. Take some Tang powder (you know, that Orange flavored Astronaut drink) and use it just like you would use dish detergent. Run a cycle (without dishes of course...unless you want everything you eat for the next few days to taste like orange punch). During the cycle, once the washer is filled with water, toss in a couple more tablespoons of the Tang powder. You may have to repeat the whole cycle a couple of times, but it does remove the rust stains. REALLY....I've done it!!
6. To remove Water Rings on wood, mix equal amounts of baking soda and plain white toothpaste (not gel) . Use a soft cloth to gently rub the mixture in a circular motion on rings.
7. Finally, do you have a budding Picaso...in other words, do you have crayon on the walls? Mister Clean Magic Eraser rocks!!!
Once your house is all sparkly and clean...you'll be a happy camper!
Don't Forget! Tomorrow is Toile Tuesday!!! Hop over to Pretty Organized Palace and link up with your posts about TOILE! It will be tons o' fun!
Aaaaaaaaand, I was interviewed this past week by the lovely Giorgina at Decor Medley. You can find the interview here. Please pop over!! (She did a beautiful job, and I feel like a mini-celebrity!)
And finally, the winner of my Etsy drawing - as chosen by Random.org - is...........



Princess
!!!! Princess, you didn't leave me any contact info, so please drop me an email or leave me a comment with an email address so I can get your prize to you!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
I have some fun projects and Spring Decor in store as Spring Spruce-up Week continues, so y'all come back now!!!
Have a lovely Monday~

28 comments:

Law Wife said...

The blue baskets look great! The water and vinegar really does work great on windows.. I have found that a microfiber cloth + vinegar/water is awesome for windows!

Pretty Organizer said...

I'm inspired! As soon as I get this durn kitchen painted I'm going to wash all my walls...um..well.. I might head to San Diego for a little R&R first. See you tomorrow!

Darlene said...

Great tips!!!! Congratulations to Princess!

Attic Gal Rachelle said...

Dollar store baskets and 15 minutes. Hmmm. I could do that. Thanks for the tips.

Laura said...

Spring cleaning is always such a chore, but feels so good when you're done! I always dread the walls - any tips on how to make that more pleasant? Thanks for the tips!

Kasey said...

i did some heavy duty spring cleaning this weekend, and it feels so good.
oh, and some people call me "princess", so if she doesn't contact you, then just go ahead and hand me the prize.
xoxo

funky bag freak said...

Kasey you crack me up!

Thanks Missy for the tips. I've recently moved into a significantly smaller place, so I've had to rethink organization. I love the baskets!

paige said...

my fam thinks i'm a little ocd with my quest for cleanliness....i LOVE magic erasers!!

such a pretty tulip photo too
xo

melissa said...

Great tips and I popped over to read your interview~I loved getting to know you better. You did fantastic, girl!

Elyse said...

great tips! congrats to princess. how fun that you were interviewed. you are becoming quite the little web-celeb! so fun. :)

xo

NCJill said...

One more tip I recently learned...take out the lint trap in the dryer once a month or so, and wash it with soap and water. Scrub the screen with a toothbrush to get off the "Bounce" film. Thx for your reminders, Wendy! :)

Kelli said...

Tang...interesting. I clean my disposal all the time because it gets so gross. Thanks for the tips. I'm the weird one that actually likes spring cleaning.

queenbee said...

Great tips and I love your dollar store baskets.

Lissa said...

Love this! Very ready to clean! I will try some of your tips! Yesterday I had to wash the whole front door down inside and out. Thanks!

Rhonda said...

I need baskets to organize my sewing room and never thought of the Dollar Store! Guess where I will be going tomorrow?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Thank you for the tips...I love "before" and "after" photos on blogs. :) Your closet looks great...love the baskets. We have a Dollar Tree close to the house--may need to head over there. Thanks for the cleaning inspiration--I'm hosting an Easter egg hunt for some of my friends and their daughters next week, and not only does the inside of my house need some work, but the OUTSIDE does too. ;)

LuLu said...

Had no idea about the Tang or the wood tip... and I need that will my kids! so helpful!! ready to get cleaning!
LuLu

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Such cute baskets. Thanks for the cleaning tip, now I'm going to have to get moving...

Sabrina said...

wow, your closet looks fantastic. And thank you so much for the tip on getting water marks off wood. I have had rings on my coffee table from a 'tea party' my daughter had years ago. The rings have been a sore spot for me ever since. Thanks again.

Tracy is ... Loving Pretty Things said...

Wendy! I will absolutely be using these tips. THANK YOU! :) i love spring - and who doesn't love the results of spring cleaning!

Ms. Tee said...

Those little baskets are too cute. I'm going to the Dollar Store today - I'll have to see if we have any. :) Thank you for the tips, too!

Reese & Marie said...

Your closet looks awesome! That is very inspiring and I like the cute springy baskets. Love the dollar store!

Jen r. said...

Lucky winner! Hey I have a question for you that is nothing related to blogging.. do you mind e-mailing me when you get a chance? Thanks Jen

Momovthree said...

Love the baskets, they look great! Congrats to the lucky winner of the giveaway!
~Michelle

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Oh the fun I had catching up over here. Always so many lovely things to see and read. Congratulations on being featured over at Decor Medley.
Also...LOVE all the numbered pillows and the artwork made from Nature. And, I'm looking forward to seeing the new nest pillows.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Congrats to your winner! Your baskets are awesome, I may have to hit the dollar store soon!

Shannon said...

I love all of those tips!! Thanks!

Susie Q said...

If you change from using commercial products to using vinegar/water and newspapers, it WILL smear at first time, so you need to be patient and do it again.

Another tip for windows (from "been there done that" commercially for 15 years), add a drop or two of DW soap to water. Squeaky clean